Logo by Trifox - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Follow us on Twitter

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 19, 2024, 02:18:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Mandelbulber 1.00  (Read 4584 times)
Buddhi
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2011, 08:42:35 PM »

Having figured out how to to share Mandelbulber parm's on this forum, I'm now wondering whats happening when I try to render
such a file using the latest version.
posted by Junkdog: http://www.fractalforums.com/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=7069
the attached pic shows no rendering refresh, while 20 min. of rendering time has gone by.
a refresh finally happened at 22 min.
I finally could NOT stop the rendering process
1. my computer running Win 7 locked up
2. no mouse input
3. the 4 cores were still processing at 100%
4. could not Start the Task Manager to Kill the process.
5. finally with ctrl/alt/del I was able to regain control.

There are some reasons why this settings file is rendering terribly slow:
1. DE Step Factor is too low for this hybrid fractal. Optimal value for this image which guaranty good quality and high speed is about 10
2. There is enabled coloured Ambient Occlusion effect based on analyzing of many rays and quality of this effects is high. This effects is very slow for rendering. There is checked Shaders/Ambient Occlusion and ambient occlusion quality = 4 (about 100 rays). Faster is Screen Space Ambient Occlusion algorithm on Post Effects tab, but it looks not as pretty like standard Ambient Occlusion.
3. Hybrid formulas are generally slower than other.
4. Resolution is high (3200x2000)

tomot
Iterator

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2011, 11:07:41 PM »

There are some reasons why this settings file is rendering terribly slow:
1. DE Step Factor is too low for this hybrid fractal. Optimal value for this image which guaranty good quality and high speed is about 10
2. There is enabled coloured Ambient Occlusion effect based on analyzing of many rays and quality of this effects is high. This effects is very slow for rendering. There is checked Shaders/Ambient Occlusion and ambient occlusion quality = 4 (about 100 rays). Faster is Screen Space Ambient Occlusion algorithm on Post Effects tab, but it looks not as pretty like standard Ambient Occlusion.
3. Hybrid formulas are generally slower than other.
4. Resolution is high (3200x2000)

This brings to mind my limited involvement with my Ruby scripting experiences, where I spent huge amounts of time adding code devoted to trapping potential errors, from user input.  I'm hoping you will make it less painful for new users in the future to avoid similar pitfalls. A Beer Cup
junkdog
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2011, 11:38:41 PM »

I'm hoping you will make it less painful for new users in the future to avoid similar pitfalls. A Beer Cup

Sometimes it's necessary to exaggerate DE stepping though; especially with FoldingIntPow2 hybrids or strangely folded mandelboxes. Generally speaking, lower DE produces smoother results and reduces noise (yet, other times it also adds noise in the form of miniature shapes - I learnt a couple of days ago).

That said, I did two test renders at a lower resolution with a DE stepping of 1 and 8 respectively. I doubt I could tell them apart. They weren't 1:1 identical, but to the naked eye they were.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: