Logo by Pauldelbrot - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Did you know ? you can use LaTex inside Postings on fractalforums.com!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 24, 2024, 05:39:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Thomas Briggs Art Website  (Read 5855 times)
Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

nahee_enterprises Nahee.Enterprises NaheeEnterprise
« on: June 17, 2007, 09:41:03 PM »

According to Thomas himself, the works are generated by proprietary software, then printed.  He does preliminary drawings to lay out the general structure of the works, but does not use them directly in the production of the final works:

http://www.SalientImages.com/

Thomas says that when it comes to the underlying mathematics and processes involved, his methods are closer to the methods of physics simulation and data visualization.  Thomas comes from a background of CGI effects animation, where any and all methodologies are tried.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 09:50:28 AM by Nahee_Enterprises » Logged

lycium
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 01:55:24 AM »

Interesting link, thx Paul  smiley

there's more info at  http://www.salientimages.com/art2.htm  - my opinion is that he's way too wordy about what he's doing: |  "The computational realization of gesture in my practice entails the construction of of a spatial field of action."  - from that and the pictures it's pretty clear that he's just iterating points in a vector field (which doesn't lead to fractal behaviour since the behaviour doesn't repeat at all scales).   Still, the colouring in particular is pretty inventive, and I'm wondering what software he uses to do the rendering.

this kind of potential field could easily be added to an ifs renderer, which would be quite interesting ineed.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 09:48:08 AM by Nahee_Enterprises » Logged

Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

nahee_enterprises Nahee.Enterprises NaheeEnterprise
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 04:34:20 AM »

Interesting link, thx Paul   smiley
    ....my opinion is that he's way too wordy about what he's doing  sad
    .....and I'm wondering what software he uses to do the rendering.
    This kind of potential field could easily be added to an IFS renderer,
    which would be quite interesting indeed.

Yes, I thought the images were interesting as well, and wondered myself about the software involved.  But in the email response I got from Thomas, he seemed to purposefully avoid mentioning the name.  He also specifically stated:
    "There is no fractal math or algorithmic process involved in my work.  I have
      consciously avoided that approach for particular reasons of my over-familiarity
      with the look and limitations of fractal imagery."

I am still pursuing the topic with him through emails and hope to get further information that might really be useful.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 09:49:32 AM by Nahee_Enterprises » Logged

lycium
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 04:41:45 AM »

maybe i'm reading too much into this, but...

all the programmers here can make "spaghetti in a box", and also render it on their own. so we like to credit for it, and mention it explicitly; that he doesn't and isn't forthcoming more or less implies it's a soft spot he's not so keen to discuss... why? because he makes a big deal of himself - truly i've never seen someone write their name in such a huge/bold font as he does on his page :|

compare to this, where the guy is not only humble, but more than happy to discuss his methods: http://rgba.scenesp.org/iq/ (a demoscener friend, who won last year's mandelbrot art thingy)

lycium
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 04:55:10 AM »

oh and regarding that charming comment he made, i had some difficulty understanding it at first; here's a rough translation that makes a lot more sense to me:

before: "I have consciously avoided that approach for particular reasons of my over-familiarity with the look and limitations of fractal imagery."
after: "I have consciously avoided fractal methods because I don't have the imagination to program anything more than Mandelbrot and Julia sets and can't write 3D renderers."

talk about picking your fights... instead of pushing the boundary with which he is oh-so-familiar, he'll just damn the whole field. too bad for us eh?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: