Logo by mclarekin - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit the official fractalforums.com Youtube Channel

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 19, 2024, 05:06:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Honest opinions please?  (Read 2569 times)
doncasteel8587
« on: May 27, 2007, 03:01:10 PM »

I need your honest opinions....

If the contest will allow stereo images, will my images be considered "Artistic" enough for the "Benoit Mandelbrot Fractal Art Contest 2007"

My 3D flames don't really look very good as 2D images.   cry

Here's my latest stereo render

Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 07:09:45 PM »

If the contest will allow stereo images, will my images be considered "Artistic" enough for the "Benoit Mandelbrot Fractal Art Contest 2007"

There's only one way to find out!

You should see the stuff I'm considering sending...

Oy!

But if you need to ask, then Yes.  It is worthy.

It's the Different Stuff that is the most interesting to those Arthur C. Phartsy Types!

You get 3 entries, so go with at least one! 

Like I said...

Some of  the stuff I'm considering tossing in there is ...   umm... 

well...

Oh my.  Is it Tea Time already?

Must Dash.

Cheerio!

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

nahee_enterprises Nahee.Enterprises NaheeEnterprise
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2007, 10:03:45 PM »

If the contest will allow stereo images, will my images be considered
"Artistic" enough for the "Benoit Mandelbrot Fractal Art Contest 2007"

That all depends on whom will be doing the selecting of submitted images for the Contest!!   wink

If it is run anything like the Fractal Universe Calendar, then the odds are against you.

And if accepted, will you be able to render at the minimum 8,000-pixel-per-side level??

lycium
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 07:03:06 AM »

And if accepted, will you be able to render at the minimum 8,000-pixel-per-side level??

and even if that 8000+ res is attainable, will it be worthwhile to do so for the sake of stereo viewing? you'd have to stand sufficiently far away that the effective resolution is the same as when you're viewing it 0.5m away on a normal computer screen.

oh and there's also the issue of these fractals being... not truly fractal (they are computed at a fixed 3d resolution which would have to scale with pixel resolution). in other words most of those pixels would be interpolation, not really new information.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 07:05:17 AM by lycium » Logged

Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 11:04:12 AM »

oh and there's also the issue of these fractals being... not truly fractal ...

I would Never take something like that in to consideration!

Such distinctions are subjective.  It is Fractal Art, not Fractal Graphs we are talking about here.

I don't know much about these contests, but I do have a good working knowledge of the Art World!

The different stuff, often thought of as "Not Truly" whatever is being discussed, often turns out to be highly successful!

What makes fractal art "Truly Fractal" or not?

Who can say?

The precise definition of Fractal has even been called in to question in the past, so defining what is and what is not "Truly Fractal" will always be a subjective call.

I consider the things Mutatorkammer does with Photographs to be Fractal Art!

I even plan on submitting one to the contest!

It is a judgment call which can only be decided by the Judges!

And the situation might change next year with new judges!

Hmmm...

What A Rant!

Sorry, Lycium.

Nothing Personal!

I'm just an Art Snob, I Guess...
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 12:30:48 PM by Sockratease » Logged

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
doncasteel8587
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007, 06:46:58 PM »

Thank you all for your help and suggestions!

Rendering at 8000+ isn't a capacity problem, but yesterday I rendered a 512x512 volume (the largest my computer will handle) to a 1280x960 image, the results were not good, technically it renderd perfectly in only 150 minutes, but it looses a lot due to the small volume as lycium expected. It's just like blowing up a photo, no matter how good the software, there's only so much information to work with.

I wasn't planning on going that big with a stereo image, I was hoping to do a large "normal" image then place a small stereo view of the same flame in as an inset. I'll probably enter something like that, not hoping to win, but all entries are posted in the contest gallery, so the exposure will be good.

Oh.... on the comments about "true fractals" I don't think that was directed at the fractal type at all, just the resolution issue. I think what was ment was that with this kind of rendering, a larger image doesn't reveal any more detail whereas with Apophysis, or an escape time application the larger you generate a view, the more detail you can see.

I'm still finding the limitations to what I can and can't do.
lycium
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 12:29:02 AM »

Oh.... on the comments about "true fractals" I don't think that was directed at the fractal type at all, just the resolution issue. I think what was ment was that with this kind of rendering, a larger image doesn't reveal any more detail whereas with Apophysis, or an escape time application the larger you generate a view, the more detail you can see.

exactly right, and i've run into the problem myself - trying to voxelise a fractal with marching cubes just isn't a good idea, no matter how much resolution you throw at it. i wasn't going to defend my (rather poorly worded) remark and make a spectacle out of it, because i figured you have experience with the issue and knew what i meant.

in any case, the octree will serve you well for generating higher resolution fractal data; what you could try is to just go ahead and create more voxel data than you have physical memory. of course there will be paging, but my experience with ray tracing is that the memory access is quite localised and coherent unless you start getting into global illumination. in other words, it'll do a little bit of paging for a lot of computational work, and not really step on the rendertime too much. the only sloooow part is generating the fractal volume, because there the memory accesses are extremely incoherent (ifs), the tree is being created as the thing iterates, etc...

doncasteel8587
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 04:02:28 AM »

It's already paging like crazy, I'm afraid of burning out my hard drive, I only have the 512Mb of system RAM to start with. I've put in another request for a 2Gb upgrade  (my first request got lost in the system at work) but that could take a week or so.

I hope it goes through this time, that should make a big difference.
lycium
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2007, 04:33:45 AM »

It's already paging like crazy

what you can do then is turn up the antialiasing, it should come mostly for free to a certain point (re-using data it's loaded from disk). just take each pixel region, divide it up into NxN "subpixels" and average the results of tracing through those; there are of course much better ways to do antialiasing, but for now i guess you just want to pick up the cpu slack left by the hard drive paging without diving too deep into sampling theory.

Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2007, 10:43:58 AM »

exactly right, and I've run into the problem myself - trying to voxelise a fractal with marching cubes just isn't a good idea, no matter how much resolution you throw at it. i wasn't going to defend my (rather poorly worded) remark and make a spectacle out of it, because i figured you have experience with the issue and knew what i meant.

Sorry for the confusion!

Us Art Snobs get touchy over defining True Art.

I am quite clueless about the mechanics of rendering and misunderstood.

But the topic asked for Honest Opinions! 

I hope I was not harsh.

Peace.

doncasteel8587
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2007, 04:43:18 PM »

But the topic asked for Honest Opinions! 

I hope I was not harsh.

Just trying to clarify a technical concept.

No feathers ruffled here  cheesy
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2007, 12:24:50 AM »

when is the deadline for this contest?

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
lycium
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2007, 06:49:45 AM »

when is the deadline for this contest?

2secs of googling: http://www.fractalartcontests.com/2007/rules.php

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: