Logo by dainbramage - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Support us via Flattr FLATTR Link

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 25, 2024, 04:24:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: More about Fractal Generators...  (Read 3892 times)
chaos_crystal
Safarist

I Have No Limits.

« on: February 28, 2011, 10:02:09 PM »

Hummm, seems the Fractal Generators thread is an old one, so I'm following the tip and beginning a new thread...

If you check out my signature links, you can get an idea of what I can do....LOL...the Chaoscope renderings are from this year, I've had Chaoscope for about one year now but my more recent efforts were my better ones....I learn as I go. The small album of newbie fractals will be added to, as time permits...

I dunno, maybe I'm a dweeb but I'm still trying to use Fractal Explorer. Its best (by far!) feature is its awesome capabilities with mandelbrots. So far I have tried out Tierazon and Mandelbulb 3D. I felt that the former was too simplistic and the latter (in my very humble opinion) is difficult for a novice like me to use...and my CPU isn't the best either. Slow as mud snore  ChaosPro seems too powerful for my wimpy processor, and the program crashes (well, even their documentation confesses that it has some issues  embarrass ). I'm tempted to try out Ultra Fractal or one of those, whichever would be easier on my slim finances...or maybe Xaos?

Be that as may be, you can see that I am serious and I am addicted....mwhahahahahahaa.

I conceived and developed a new geometry of nature and implemented its use in a number of diverse fields. It describes many of the irregular and fragmented patterns around us, and leads to full-fledged theories, by identifying a family of shapes I call fractals.

— Benoit Mandelbrot
David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 10:20:59 PM »

Well you can *try* Ultra Fractal for free smiley

It's not difficult to get started with UF and it's considerably more stable than ChaosPro, but it can be a little daunting given the number of ways of controlling the fractals using the interface and more especially the monumentally enormous formula database smiley
I highly recommend taking things one step at a time both with respect to the features of Ultra Fractal itself and with the available fractal formulas, colourings and indeed transforms.

Though I guarantee if you get the hang of UF then you'll be well and truly hooked !

The meaning and purpose of life is to give life purpose and meaning.

http://www.fractalgallery.co.uk/
"Makin' Magic Music" on Jango
lenord
Fractal Bachius

No Matter where you go there you are

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 11:59:13 PM »

Nothing wrong with using FractalExplorer, I still use it now and then. Mandelbulb3d really isn't that daunting, I thought it was at first too but it didn't take long for it to make sense. Plus it's not as power hungry as some and runs fine single threaded if need be and is still faster than most 3d renderers. No matter your choice it just takes practice and desire.
tomot
Iterator

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 12:17:50 AM »

Its relatively easy to write a program, given one has the skills. Its quite another, to write a program that's easy for someone else to use.
Example: I had been using a program called AutoCad over the last 20 years, and in addition to learning AutoCad, I had to read
a 1.5inch thick book on how to use the program. Not counting the huge amount of hours required to become a proficient, user of the program.

WRT: fractal generators, I find Mandelbulb 3D, and ChaosPro quite user friendly. I can't say the same about UF.
UF could use a generous sprinkle of user friendliness smiley
chaos_crystal
Safarist

I Have No Limits.

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 06:31:45 AM »

I'm willing to try UF and I'm ready to be hooked.  Azn I don't know why I never gave any real serious thought to fractals before. I'm a detail diva and you can go on forever just exploring and discovering those microscopic worlds...as time allows, of course.

I don't mind a long list of formulas as long as I don't have to write any, LOL. Fractal Explorer has a lot of formulas for such a small package; but you really don't have to do anything brainy, just play with the various buttons and very soon you have something truly awesome spread out in front of you, in minute detail...  cheesy  

I still have Mandelbulb 3D, I don't know why it seems so sluggish on my computer, surely my CPU isn't *that* bad. Well, practice, practice... Does anyone know of a truly comprehensive tutorial anywhere for Mandelbulb? I found one, but the author seemed to be using a different version of it, even though I thought he was "on the same page" with those of us using the latest download... I'm still lost there! ChaosPro does seem user friendly enough, it's just slow as mud on my system. I even tried the Windows version of FracTint and it's doing OK, it gives nice designs so far, even if I'm not proficient with it yet.

Anyway, more fractals are on the way! I just created a couple more projects this evening and they are, like waow! And I don't even know what I did....lol. I made at least 8 zoom images from just one, I kept seeing more amazing little areas... oooh, shiny...

I conceived and developed a new geometry of nature and implemented its use in a number of diverse fields. It describes many of the irregular and fragmented patterns around us, and leads to full-fledged theories, by identifying a family of shapes I call fractals.

— Benoit Mandelbrot
lenord
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 02:57:30 PM »

I still have Mandelbulb 3D, I don't know why it seems so sluggish on my computer, surely my CPU isn't *that* bad. Well, practice, practice... Does anyone know of a truly comprehensive tutorial anywhere for Mandelbulb? I found one, but the author seemed to be using a different version of it, even though I thought he was "on the same page" with those of us using the latest download...

When MB3d first opens it will automatically select optimun internal settings(single threaded, dual, quad whatever) go to the Internal tab and select 1 thread if your running a slow computer it will keep it from overtaxing the processor, ran into that on an old P4HT, MB3d thought it was a dual core when it isn't a true dual core. Hal Tinney over at DeviantArt has a couple of good Tuts on MB3d and it actually shouldn't matter which version it is the Basics are the same, layout changes some between version but the basics are still there and don't confuse Mandelbulb3D with Mandelbulber, similar Names similar results completely Different Programs.
chaos_crystal
Safarist

I Have No Limits.

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 06:01:13 PM »

smiley All righty! I found a tab marked "Intern" (geez, if it had said InterNAL I might have noticed it sooner and not had to hunt, LOL!) and the options say "Threadcount in Calculations," it was on 2 but I chose 1. The other option is "Thread Priority," and you have Idle, Lowest, Lower, and Normal. Right now it's on Lower. Would that be OK for me and my pokey processor?  snore

I have the deviantART tutorial, the only one I ever could find. Maybe now things will go somewhat better....my MB3d has been so terribly slow, that's been one of the biggest issues. Person shouldn't have to worry about their draggy system going belly up when you're trying to find your way around in a new program and you have your mind focused on that.  praying

— Benoit Mandelbrot
lenord
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 09:53:10 PM »

smiley All righty! I found a tab marked "Intern" (geez, if it had said InterNAL I might have noticed it sooner and not had to hunt, LOL!) and the options say "Threadcount in Calculations," it was on 2 but I chose 1. The other option is "Thread Priority," and you have Idle, Lowest, Lower, and Normal. Right now it's on Lower. Would that be OK for me and my pokey processor?  snore

I think Lower priority is default, that's fine, I normally change it to Normal when I remember to. I'm not sure why it is so slow for you, I have run it on an old P4HT single threaded and it still was super responsive and fast rendering. Bear in mind it's not as fast as 2d FractalExplorer by a mile but these are 2 completely different Breeds Fractal Generators.
chaos_crystal
Safarist

I Have No Limits.

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 12:06:15 AM »

Lenord:
I think Lower priority is default, that's fine, I normally change it to Normal when I remember to. I'm not sure why it is so slow for you, I have run it on an old P4HT single threaded and it still was super responsive and fast rendering. Bear in mind it's not as fast as 2d FractalExplorer by a mile but these are 2 completely different Breeds Fractal Generators.

That is what my processor is, a Pentium 4 and I have read that it is not popular...  shocked I think I can see why...

i'm still trying to work out how to make my own 3D images in MB3d. Have tried various combinations of one button or another, and any rendering (experimental or preset) takes upwards of 5 minutes to creep down the display window... snore

Yep, FractalExplorer makes renderings fairly quickly unless you're into the 6th or 7th zoom-in on a project, then it can get really slow. But so worth it, if I have it running properly and I have a good-looking base project... I've been getting the hang of Tiera-zon and it makes really nice works also, only it is somewhat slower than FE.

— Benoit Mandelbrot
David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2011, 12:27:24 AM »

Just to add that there is an enormous amount of help out there for UF users - there are a number of fractal groups and plain users at http://www.deviantart.com that have posted many different tutorials and other help there, plus there's the ff Wiki for UF:

http://ultrafractalwiki.fractalforums.com/

Plus Ron Barnett's excellent tutorials and challenges here:

http://www.hiddendimension.com/Tutorials/Tutorials_Main.html
http://www.hiddendimension.com/challenges/UF5Challenges.html

For anyone who wants to stick to the older more conventional "non-class" formulas for UF then Janet Parke's tutorials/challenges are still relevant:

http://www.parkenet.org/jp/uftutorials.html
http://www.parkenet.org/jp/ufchallenges.html

Plus her more recent list of resources:

http://www.parkenet.org/jp/ufresources.html

I believe there may also be some help/guides/tutorials at http://www.renderosity.com/ too.

In addition at http://www.deviantart.com there are now two places for Ultra Fractal mentors who will help (time permitting) - note that these include mentors for other fractal software too, or just fractals generally:

http://theknowledge1.deviantart.com/
http://fractalmentorproject.deviantart.com/blog/38479018/
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 02:34:46 AM by David Makin » Logged

The meaning and purpose of life is to give life purpose and meaning.

http://www.fractalgallery.co.uk/
"Makin' Magic Music" on Jango
lenord
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2011, 01:08:29 AM »

That is what my processor is, a Pentium 4 and I have read that it is not popular...  shocked I think I can see why...

i'm still trying to work out how to make my own 3D images in MB3d. Have tried various combinations of one button or another, and any rendering (experimental or preset) takes upwards of 5 minutes to creep down the display window... snore

Yep, FractalExplorer makes renderings fairly quickly unless you're into the 6th or 7th zoom-in on a project, then it can get really slow. But so worth it, if I have it running properly and I have a good-looking base project... I've been getting the hang of Tiera-zon and it makes really nice works also, only it is somewhat slower than FE.

P4HT is a generation or 2 up from a standard P4, sort of a Quasi Dual Core. On the P4HT/3Ghz-3gig Ram I use sometimes a normal 4kX2k Render at HQ settings takes an average of 45 mins, some less some more depending on complexity, my HP dual core T64 is way faster but still MB3D is way faster than most. I wait on MojoWorld renders that take 12-24 hours so a half hour is like nothing. You need to copy some of the available parameter files and see how others put together Hybrids, look at the formula settings, sort of reverse engineer them to get an understanding of what's going on with them.
chaos_crystal
Safarist

I Have No Limits.

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2011, 05:17:21 AM »

Awesome links there, David, thanks so much!!! That must be an amazing community for UF, I wish I had a hundred dollars put by for the possibility of purchasing it...

Lenord, I think I just need a new processor one of these days, LOL. Something else for my wish list!

— Benoit Mandelbrot
ramblerette
Navigator

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2011, 04:09:23 PM »

I've tried all freeware  programs I can get  hold of!!!But FE is special and easy..never boring!!Mandelbulb is soooo addicting!Keep on trying

there are words like freedom
sweet  and wonderful to say
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: