Logo by Trifox - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Follow us on Twitter

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 19, 2024, 07:01:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Fractal Animation  (Read 2974 times)
ianc10
« on: October 02, 2006, 05:32:54 PM »

Hello..  here is a link to a video I made of zooming into the set (note that it requires a DivX http://www.divx.com compatible decoder to play it):

http://www.mandelmania.net/mandanim.avi

I'd be pleased to hear what you think of it.

Thanks,
Ian Calegory
« Last Edit: October 02, 2006, 05:42:38 PM by ianc10 » Logged
Jules Ruis
Fractal Lover

Jules Ruis

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006, 07:05:48 PM »

It takes one minute to download it (20 MB).

Jules J.C.M. Ruis
www.fractal.org
Jules Ruis
Fractal Lover

Jules Ruis

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 07:31:56 PM »

I donloaded the file for the Windows Media player, but I hear only music, the images stop to continu after intro,

Jules J.C.M. Ruis
www.fractal.org
ianc10
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006, 11:52:24 PM »

Do you have the DivX encoder installed?  You can download it from http://www.divx.com

Ian
Zoom
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2006, 08:37:04 AM »

I like your efforts, but I hope you won't mind a little constructive criticism.

1. You have a lovely 720x480 video, why put the render at less than that? Unless it's an artistic decision to have the black border surrounding the animation.

2. Your decision to color the interior of the Set is one not taken by most fractal animators. Actually I consider it very brave of you, but you're bound to get complaints from someone. Never mind those complaints, you did a good job with that.

3. This work is one of those "infinite" zooms, as all you do once you get to the attractor point is zoom in on it. This is great, but the movie doesn't have a running time of forever. What some people do is focus towards the end on one of the points near the attractor, which ends up as a mini-Mandelbrot. I prefer that method myself, but there are other things.

4. Obviously there is a problem with your calculations toward the end. You seem to be running up against the limits of precision. What's interesting here is that you make it the conclusion of the video, as if it were a special effect. Again, I wouldn't do it but that's because I don't know if I could do it as Ultra Fractal 4 goes very deep indeed. It's interesting.

5. Finally, the image is rather muddy, like a JPG flipbook. Sadly this happens to a lot of us-- YouTube shrinks and muddies my work, for example. But yours is coming straight from your own website, so I wouldn't know what the trouble is.

I would also point out that of the prints you're offering on your site, the third one has a humongous hole in it that needs more iterations. Also your wallpapers really lack decent anti-aliasing.

I think I'm done. Sorry if I killed you. smiley
ianc10
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2006, 06:04:56 AM »

Helloo...  ya that faded out the video where the resolution limit is reached.  It's the double data type's resolution limit.  I pretty much hand-coded everything (except that I used a movie editing program to compile the frames into an animation).  I'm working on another video that goes somewhere besides an infinite attractor, and it's a lot more interesting to watch.

The choppy video is because I just basically threw it together with DivX...  I'm planning on fine-tuning the encoding process, and using something other than DivX--probably just an MPEG encoder.

You mention anti-aliasing...  I have thought of ways to anti-alias the images and haven't done much with that.  Are you aware of a good anti-aliasing algorithm to use?

Thanks for the pointers,
Ian
lycium
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2006, 09:48:12 AM »

You mention anti-aliasing...  I have thought of ways to anti-alias the images and haven't done much with that.  Are you aware of a good anti-aliasing algorithm to use?

good antialiasing of fractals is actually incredibly difficult. the trouble is that they (theoretically) have infinite frequency content, which does not bode well for any amount of supersampling (thanks to nyquist). the ideal way to antialias the image is to "bandlimit" it, which basically means cutting off all frequencies after a certain point the nyquist limit. this is very difficult to do analytically/perfectly, so in practise a great deal of empirical tuning needs to be done; for example, just limiting the number of iterations produces a smoother signal, and the question becomes "how many iterations should i use given a specific zoom depth?" the whole thing needs a ton of tweaking if you're going to go down that road and try to do it optimally.

otherwise, just straight supersampling works pretty well :) it's of course best to do this in the code itself rather than via large images (speed, quality, storage), but simply rendering the images at some multiple of your final resolution (2-3x in each dimension for a start) and then doing a high quality resample to the final frame size makes a world of difference already. i recommend virtualdub for this - its resizing filters are excellent.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2006, 09:49:48 AM by lycium » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: