Logo by rathinagiri - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Support us via Flattr FLATTR Link

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 28, 2024, 11:02:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: OBTAINING A SOCIAL NETWORKING SITE  (Read 1577 times)
Bent-Winged Angel
Fractal Bachius

« on: February 01, 2011, 09:57:13 PM »

Quetion possibly geared for Trifox?  I may have the oportunity to purchas one. Am curious about the operating costs?  What type of PC skills are nesseccary?

cbuchner1
Fractal Phenom

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 10:08:35 PM »

Hmm, typically you first acquire the PC skills, and then you run a site. In this order wink

Of course you can also hire someone with the necessary skills, but that's a budget issue. Oh, and the required skills depend solely on the technology that this site is based on. Which OS, which software, which databases, etc...

Last time I checked, successful social sites were valued a few billion US dollars on the stock market. I consider this the rise of another Internet bubble, personally.

If it is just running on a single server, the costs should be moderate. Depends a lot if this is a high-traffic, high bandwidth site (say, sharing images or videos) or just a chat service.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 10:11:26 PM by cbuchner1 » Logged
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 11:18:16 PM »

please be more specific, as cbuchner outlined, costs can be of around a few dollars to a few thousands

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
Bent-Winged Angel
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 10:03:32 PM »

How about what questions do I need to ask before enquiring.. The site is now down to 5 staffers.  It's called eons.  Jeff Taylors creation. It has really fallen apart over the last few yrs.  Actually after the 1st yr. it went down hill rapidly.  I recently suspect that he has his mother basically running it.

Fractal Ken
Fractal Lover

Proud to be 2D

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 10:31:09 PM »

Bent-Winged Angel, I'd suggest extreme caution here. Sorry to be so blunt, but if Jeff Taylor (founder of Monster.com) couldn't make it work, why do you think you can?

Relevant links:
eons.com homepage
Recent business article

Fortran will rise again
Madman
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 10:37:10 PM »

I have to agree with fractal Ken. The first question you should ask (yourself) is: Is there any added value to a social networking site that is aimed at babyboomers within the abundant availability of other networking sites with different themes?

All I want is a warm bed, a kind word and unlimited power (Ashleigh Brilliant)
Bent-Winged Angel
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 10:46:17 PM »

Bent-Winged Angel, I'd suggest extreme caution here. Sorry to be so blunt, but if Jeff Taylor (founder of Monster.com) couldn't make it work, why do you think you can?

Relevant links:
eons.com homepage
Recent business article

Ohh I'm more curious than serious!  lol  He seems to start up business' then walks away. Y a goota keep up with those ya hire.  I finally figured out that maybe he started it for his family to run.  I had my own business for 14+ yrs. & know ya gotta be hands on.  Right now it's being run by 3 women. The main one I think could be mommy dearest & the other 2 are well her toadies!  Ya know like th mean girls clique in HS?  But granny style.  Folks are leaving in droves.  Ya know like if ya yell fire in a theater!   

Bent-Winged Angel
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 10:48:42 PM »

I have to agree with fractal Ken. The first question you should ask (yourself) is: Is there any added value to a social networking site that is aimed at babyboomers within the abundant availability of other networking sites with different themes?

YES! It is a great niche.  Don't take it too personally but I like to talk to folks who have grown past HS.  Just can't get into facebook or twitter/tweets whatever.  Maybe that 's a sign that I'nm old?  BTW I have had 3 successful groups there.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: