Logo by mauxuam - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Did you know ? you can use LaTex inside Postings on fractalforums.com!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 26, 2024, 04:05:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Hi from Swindon, England.  (Read 2574 times)
Erisian
« on: January 28, 2011, 11:50:15 PM »

I've been interested in fractals since the early days of Windows when a friend of mine discovered Fractint.  So far I have about a dozen fractal generators on my computer as well as Gimp.  My favourite of these is the awesome Mandelbulb 3D.  I would love it to have a save as obj button as I like using fractals in 3D terrain software.  At the moment, I use 2D fractals as height maps in Bryce's terrain editor and symmetrical lattice and have created a number of renders that still need polishing.  I only wish I understood more of the mathematics of fractals as I feel a bit limited at the moment.  Hopefully I'll learn a thing or two here and when I can get my work on the net, I'll post a link.  Nice to see some of the inspiring work here.
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 01:47:21 AM »

Hello and Welcome to the forums!

I'm a Lifelong Fan of the Finer English Ales, but the "Fineness" of the ones I like is purely subjective   afro

I too want a decent program for exporting 3D Models of the Mandelbox and Bulb  (Even if I am a fan of Bryce's Arch Nemesis - Carrara!), but alas - they are not easily created from a structure like this.  Unlike the Mandelbrot 3D Obj's you can get easily enough (Chaospro does it for free!).

Jesse has a way to make Mandelbulb 3D export a stack of 2D Slices which can be compiled into stl files, and converted - but I haven't gotten very far with that yet   sad

For now I just settle for image editing my Mandelbulb 3D Images into my 3D scenes.  

I know some people have made decent obj's of the Mandelbulb - I've seen some images - but nobody has made the models available for sharing, or even sale  (probably because they would have to be Hundreds of Megabytes!).

Feel free to post your images either in threads or in our Gallery.  I look forward to seeing your stuff.

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
Erisian
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 09:12:20 PM »

The reason I use Bryce is because I got version 5.5 free some time ago.  My funds are sadly limited so I stick to free software when I can get it.  It's an awesome program though!  Doesn't Chaos Pro only export POV files?  Bryce won't import POV and Pov Ray doesn't export OBJ so I would need a converter of some kind.  Even Blender doesn't support POV import.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 10:01:26 PM by Erisian, Reason: Removed link as I now have a gallery » Logged
Erisian
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 09:38:51 PM »

I might have been thinking of Fractal Explorer with regards POV export.  I've found a conversion tool anyway.
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 10:29:14 PM »

I'd love to be able to convert .pov to obj, but sadly it only works on a select few such files.  Many .pov files simply can't be converted to obj  sad

But ChaosPro does export obj format for many 3D fractals - just click the drop down box where it says .pov, and choose .obj  afro

Doesn't work for Mandelbulbs, but plain old 3D Mandelbrots are no problem for export, just sometimes the file sizes are quite large!

And I got my Carrara (and Bryce) in one of those huge sales that Daz does periodically.  If you're patient all of their software can be had for anywhere from $1.99 to $20   Elvis Presley

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
Erisian
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 10:44:21 PM »

I must admit, Daz prices are always pretty good and when I'm a bit better off, I'll start stocking up from there.  I'm not on the net myself so I don't get much browsing time but I'll keep an eye out for those deals.  Thanks a lot.  By the way, how do I add an avatar to my posts?  (I think that's what you call them)
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 11:20:26 PM »

...By the way, how do I add an avatar to my posts?  (I think that's what you call them)

That's easy!

Go to your profile  (link up top) then from the sidebar, choose Forum Profile Information.

There you can select one, upload one  (buggy process if I recall), or link to an externally hosted one.

If you have troubles, just speak up!

Erisian
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2011, 11:28:54 PM »

Thanks.
Erisian
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 11:32:07 PM »

That didn't work - let's see if this does.
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2011, 11:39:39 PM »

That didn't work - let's see if this does.

Silly question, but did you click the "change profile" button at the bottom of the page after you set up your avatar?

Erisian
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2011, 11:42:12 PM »

Yes on my first attempt, no on my second.  I'm trying a url link now.
Oh, I give up - I'll never be trendy! sad
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 11:46:04 PM by Erisian » Logged
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011, 12:00:33 PM »

Yes on my first attempt, no on my second.  I'm trying a url link now.
Oh, I give up - I'll never be trendy! sad

If you can't make it work, post the url of the image you want, and I'll see if I can't make it work from this end   Elvis Presley

Madman
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2011, 11:28:06 PM »

Hi Erisian, I remember having serious problems too in uploading my avatar. I just gave up  cheesy.

Then I put an avatar on my own website and linked to it as Sock suggested, but then I decided I wanted to be a leeeeettle more anonymous grin and just posted a picture in my personal gallery here on FF and linked to it. That works for sure

All I want is a warm bed, a kind word and unlimited power (Ashleigh Brilliant)
Erisian
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2011, 09:31:01 PM »

Nice one.  I'll try the personal gallery approach as I have a couple of finished renders I want to upload.  I'll probably remove the link to my zip after that.

With regards POV, I was right about Chaos Pro, but I was trying to export a Quaternion.  Anyway, my conversion tool didn't recognize it as a genuine POV, claiming it had no vertices or faces.  I do have Xenodream but it takes forever to create a mesh on my computer.

Thanx both.  grin
Erisian
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2011, 10:07:29 PM »

Lets see if this works

No, couldn't make that work either.  Never mind.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: