Logo by bib - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit us on facebook

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 19, 2024, 02:18:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Geometric transformations of a 3D object  (Read 5095 times)
gamma
Safarist

« on: January 15, 2011, 10:00:09 PM »

Amidst the heated discussion of Mandelboxenbulb-related, modern fractals, I sadly have another old-fashioned topic on my mind.

Here's the problem. I would like if you could recommend a software package and the procedure for 3D object manipulation. The first step could be to define an ordinary or semi-transparent sphere with the given radius. The second step is to transform the sphere according to a 3D mapping such as f(x,y,z) = .... The third step is to repeat the transformation recursively and display several steps (iterations) in high quality.

In 2D, the repeated mapping tends to produce a Julia set in the form of morphed initial 2D object (or an image). In 3D, the expected result is a 3D Julia set.

This should be the opportunity to review the software packages. One of the first that comes to mind is the PovRay. I have a minimal experience with this program and I am aware of affine transformations of a selected, built-in object. We have worked-out examples of Quaternion Julias and IFS fractals, but morphing an object represents the additional challenge. For this, I would like to find documentation. Processing interpreter could contain scripts for defining and manipulating objects. In the same group, we have the StructureSynth, ContextFree and general java applets (if you know any). I'd rather avoid Mathematica, but there could be a notebook for these transformations...  

The challenges of 3D object transformations are the voxel interpolation, handling of different types of functions, vector vs. non-vector objects...
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 04:04:39 AM by gamma » Logged
ant123
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 11:46:40 PM »

that is a really interesting topic, i wanted to play with segmented fractals ( i call them metameric cos it sounds cool) , where a shape like a cube/cilinder is replicated in space in many sizes and shapes in patterns, sometimes it can split into 10-20 100 of itself, mix different shapes in series etc.

dont know a prog that can do that though. best make it yourself if you know c++
i cant even pogram that well
Tglad
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 12:18:34 AM »

Probably possible using a script in a 3d package.. or just write in C++. I don't see a need for voxelisation.

If you want fractals then you only need to consider five transformations. Affine transforms are too much, they include shear which would cause infinite stretch on the small parts.
Just translation, rotation, reflection, scale and inversion (distance from 0,0,0 becomes 1/distance).
In 3d (or higher dimensions) any other transformation is either a combination of the above, or it will cause unbounded stretching.
tomot
Iterator

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 06:17:21 PM »

This might be of interest. K3dSurf is a free program that does 3D mapping that uses f(x,y,z), it also exports objects to .obj

http://k3dsurf.sourceforge.net/

The developer of K3dSurf also scripted a Menger Sponge using f(x,y,z)

http://k3dsurf.s4.bizhat.com/k3dsurf-ftopic61.html

ant123
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 07:06:02 PM »

i bumped into structure synth, it does what you say...

http://www.google.co.uk/images?um=1&hl=en&rlz=1T4SKPT_enFR413FR413&biw=1436&bih=809&tbs=isch%3A1&sa=1&q=structure+synth&aq=f&aqi=g1&aql=&oq=
tomot
Iterator

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 10:06:21 PM »

i bumped into structure synth, it does what you say...

Interesting find thanks!  I can confirm the default example exports to a 30MB obj file, which also imports into glc_player.exe
and a lot faster into Meshman for further processing.

* meshman.jpg (74.45 KB, 648x496 - viewed 507 times.)
David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 12:53:53 AM »

Have you guys seen Groboto ?

http://kuzy62.deviantart.com/gallery/583136

The meaning and purpose of life is to give life purpose and meaning.

http://www.fractalgallery.co.uk/
"Makin' Magic Music" on Jango
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 01:28:05 AM »

3D Obj file exported from Groboto and rendered in Carrara - Using HDRI Lighting from ...  Guess...  An HDRI Image of Lissa!  (At least I'm consistent  afro )
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 01:29:55 AM by Sockratease » Logged

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
tomot
Iterator

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 08:16:39 PM »

Nice rendering! I have to checkout Groboto. From the you tube videos, it looks like it uses similar fractals generating code that Xfrog uses to generate
3d plant meshes.
gamma
Safarist

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 11:56:53 PM »

Thank you all for your answers. The recursed geometrical transformations are in the heart of all fractals in some way, but we usually do not ask what do they transform or what can they transform with what consequences. That is why I was wondering... so, great. smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: