Logo by reallybigname - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Did you know ? you can use LaTex inside Postings on fractalforums.com!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 29, 2024, 04:38:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: A few animations  (Read 3212 times)
David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« on: January 26, 2007, 05:24:17 PM »

Hi all,

Paul very nicely agreed to host some animations for me, so you can see them here:

http://www.nahee.com/Fractals/Special/DavidMakin/

(Edit) The mpg versions mentioned in the replies to this post are now also available at the above link

bye
Dave
« Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 02:50:43 AM by David Makin » Logged

The meaning and purpose of life is to give life purpose and meaning.

http://www.fractalgallery.co.uk/
"Makin' Magic Music" on Jango
ericbigas
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2007, 03:41:47 AM »

I really like these.  I've seen a smaller GIF version of "Alien Interface" but it's great to see it now in 640x480.

I had to convert these in order to play them.  Indeo's a little long in the tooth, so I figured other people might have trouble viewing them as well.  Animation fans really should see these, so I took the liberty of posting five of them in MPEG-1 (.mpg) format, which will play on any computer.  They're here:  http://ericbigas.com/davidmakin

I hope you don't mind me posting these, David.  I'm happy to pull them if you prefer.  It'd probably make more sense for these to be on Paul's site along with the others.

Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2007, 03:04:00 PM »

Very Nice!

I had to download "plug-ins" but quick time played them.

Many Fluffy Cows to you for these!

Thanks for sharing.

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2007, 03:19:28 PM »

I really like these.  I've seen a smaller GIF version of "Alien Interface" but it's great to see it now in 640x480.

I had to convert these in order to play them.  Indeo's a little long in the tooth, so I figured other people might have trouble viewing them as well.  Animation fans really should see these, so I took the liberty of posting five of them in MPEG-1 (.mpg) format, which will play on any computer.  They're here:  http://ericbigas.com/davidmakin

I hope you don't mind me posting these, David.  I'm happy to pull them if you prefer.  It'd probably make more sense for these to be on Paul's site along with the others.

I don't mind you converting them and making them available at all :-) I don't mind anyone doing so with these 640*480 versions provided there's some sort of accreditation to myself as the animator - the originals are all much larger (Alien Interface was 2048*1536).
I used Indeo after trying every common (free) format and decided Indeo produced the smallest file size at reasonable quality for fractal animations provided you force a key frame every frame - and Indeo 5 was free with Win98 - I notice your converted files are larger.
I'll drop Paul a mail !

The meaning and purpose of life is to give life purpose and meaning.

http://www.fractalgallery.co.uk/
"Makin' Magic Music" on Jango
Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

nahee_enterprises Nahee.Enterprises NaheeEnterprise
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2007, 05:41:19 PM »

David Makin wrote:
>
I had to convert these in order to play them.  ....so I took the liberty of posting
five of them in MPEG-1 (.mpg) format, which will play on any computer.  They're
here:  http://ericbigas.com/davidmakin .
It'd probably make more sense for these to be on Paul's site along with the others.
>    I notice your converted files are larger.
>    I'll drop Paul a mail !

I will get them to my site sometime later today.  And yes, they are quite a bit bigger, anywhere from 170% to almost 200% larger in file size.

ericbigas
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2007, 01:52:48 AM »

Yeah, MPEG-1 isn't very efficient for compression, but you can't beat it for compatibility.  I've had good results using Indeo for fractal animation, but unfortunately Microsoft has stopped including it in Windows and there's no way to play it on Mac OS X.

"Alien Interface" would look mighty cool at 960x720, David.  I bet I'm not the only one who'd like to see that.

Thanks for adding the MPEGs to your site, Paul.  I'll pull them from mine.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: