Logo by Dinkydau - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Did you know ? you can use LaTex inside Postings on fractalforums.com!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 25, 2024, 12:40:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Lacunarity  (Read 8377 times)
pucicu
« on: October 02, 2006, 11:51:22 AM »

Does anyone has experience in applying lacunarity on time series or even in 2D images and how to interpret the results?
Jules Ruis
Fractal Lover

Jules Ruis

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006, 11:58:28 AM »

Please explain what is Lacunarity.

Jules J.C.M. Ruis
www.fractal.org
heneganj
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 01:50:49 PM »

No I didn't know either.

http://www-swiss.ai.mit.edu/~rauch/lacunarity/lacunarity.html
Jules Ruis
Fractal Lover

Jules Ruis

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006, 07:24:27 PM »

So Lacunity has to do with the 'holes' in the fractal.

Mathematically it means that on hole-places the value of the fractal is going to infinity i.s.o. to zero.

It is possible to fill these 'holes' with different  fractal colors. If you are interested in it how to to this, I can tell you.

Jules J.C.M. Ruis
www.fractal.org
matera
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2006, 02:37:45 AM »

I learned early on that "lacuna" means "for the next ten minutes your computer is going to be calculating a whole lot of nothing interesting" LOL
alan2here
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2006, 08:54:46 PM »

so like the inside part (often rendered as black) in the middle of the mandlbrot set?
David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2006, 12:25:45 AM »

"Lacunarity" is usually used in association with IFS or Strange Attractors rather than escape-time fractals. It's an extra way of characterising them in addition to fractal dimension.

The meaning and purpose of life is to give life purpose and meaning.

http://www.fractalgallery.co.uk/
"Makin' Magic Music" on Jango
Adamsliu
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2006, 07:44:54 AM »

Could u tell me how to caculate lacunarity,are there any useful software?
Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

nahee_enterprises Nahee.Enterprises NaheeEnterprise
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2006, 02:17:33 AM »

Adamsliu wrote:
>
>    Could u tell me how to caculate lacunarity,
>    are there any useful software?

There are several web pages that give such information, a quick search using Google on the word "lacunarity" will show about 45,600 pages.  A good start would be this one:  http://local.wasp.uwa.edu.au/~pbourke/fractals/lacunarity/
« Last Edit: November 14, 2006, 02:21:11 AM by Nahee_Enterprises » Logged

Charleswehner
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2006, 07:09:12 PM »

That diagram is very reminiscent of the Hamming codes (binary that changes only one bit at a time as it progresses). However, it is definitely not the same.

Charles
Charleswehner
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2006, 05:21:20 PM »

That diagram is very reminiscent of the Hamming codes (binary that changes only one bit at a time as it progresses).

I said that wrong. What I meant was the Gray Code. However, the Hamming Codes (self-correcting codes) also produce banded images like that above.

If "Lacunarity" decreases with density, then the regions of the attractors must have high lacunarity when in the region of the attractors, in the inner set, and low lacunarity in the same regions of the outer set.

Here I have arranged for an outer set and inner set fractal to alternate. The outer set has tiny black dots containing the entire Mandelbrot set, therefore dense and of small lacunarity. The inner set has circles, which meet the definition of "coarse", and therefore of high lacunarity.

One wonders whether the introduction of the term "strange attractors" is a red herring. Surely, this applies generally to all patterns - with or without attractors.

Charles

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: