Logo by CorneliaYoder - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Did you know ? you can use LaTex inside Postings on fractalforums.com!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 26, 2024, 07:56:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Fractal Kaleidoscope  (Read 1864 times)
Description: A kaleidoscope created from a 3D fractal rendering
Duncan C
Fractal Fanatic

« on: December 21, 2010, 02:33:36 AM »

The original fractal is a Mandelbrot set rendered as height field using DE data for the height value. (Actually, the adjusted log of the DE data.) The height map was rendered as a 3D shape in OpenGL with diffuse directional, specular, and ambient (non directional) lighting.

It's colored using a color scheme that uses the histogram of the iteration distribution to linearize the color change and make the areas "closest to the set" look less visually cluttered. The iteration-based colors were then interpolated using the fractional iteration value.

Once I had a 3D image, I increased the contrast, turned it into a Kaleidoscope using a Photoshop action, reduced it by 50%, and applied sharpening. The reduction followed by sharpening gives a very smooth, anti-aliased look. (I really need to break down and code oversampling in my app.)

I also converted the same image to a chirstmas ornament:

Regards,

Duncan C
The Rev
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 10:20:02 PM »

What 3D software did you use to map the image to a sphere? 

I use Ray Dream Studio from time to time (even though it's old as dirt) and it allows you to copy parameters from one shader property to another.  I saw your ornament, and I thought it would be cool to copy the color property (the image map) to the bump property to preserve the surface textured look of the original 2D image.  Hope you don't mind.

The Rev
Duncan C
Fractal Fanatic

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 10:33:03 PM »

What 3D software did you use to map the image to a sphere? 

<Quoted Image Removed>

I use Ray Dream Studio from time to time (even though it's old as dirt) and it allows you to copy parameters from one shader property to another.  I saw your ornament, and I thought it would be cool to copy the color property (the image map) to the bump property to preserve the surface textured look of the original 2D image.  Hope you don't mind.

The Rev

Rev,

I cheated and did that in Photoshop, to the 2D image output. That's why it looks flat. I could probably fix my app to map my images onto a sphere if I thought about it hard enough.

The image that's mapped onto the sphere is a kaleidoscope image that was created in Photoshop using the 2D image output, so the spherical-looking ornament is at a pretty far remove from the original 3D image.

I've wanted to create an in-app kaleidoscope feature that would create a real 3D kaleidoscope by slicing and dicing the 3D object. The lighting would be much better if I did that, since the apparent light source would be consistent, where my photoshop-based kaleidoscopes have apparent light sources that are all a mess. The problem, of course, is finding the time to do it.

On the other hand, my company has decided to release the app commercially in the soon-to-be-launched Mac app store, so now it may actually make enough money to justify investing some more time on it. So far it's just been a labor of love, and I've invested FAR, FAR too many hours (Months? Years? Probably full work years at this point) in it. In getting it ready for release, I discovered that the help document that I've been shipping with the free version was 33 pages long!

Duncan

Regards,

Duncan C
The Rev
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 01:05:44 AM »

Right on!  If I had a mac, I'd buy a copy.  Either way, tho, I wish you luck and great success with your work.  It's always really great when something brings success, especially after one puts a great deal of care, love, and hard hard work into it. cheesy

The Rev
Duncan C
Fractal Fanatic

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 01:35:21 AM »

Rev,

Thanks for the encouragement.

We'll see if it sells.

Duncan

Regards,

Duncan C
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print