Logo by DarkBeam - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Check out the originating "3d Mandelbulb" thread here

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 23, 2024, 10:25:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: मण्डलबेथ (maṇḍalabeth) 3D analog of the mandelbrot set  (Read 14234 times)
Description: new 3D fractal with various symmetry groups
bethchen
Forums Newbie

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2011, 09:52:08 PM »

if you view each term as a matrix equation inverse(B)*A*B is very simple & elegant! in fact, it is merely the change of basis formula. on the other hand, if you look at the individual components, then this equation will seem very messy indeed!

so basically, the maṇḍalabeth construction is really quite elegant (from a higher mathematical perspective)... the entire summation (over the symmetry group) is the forest. each matrix term inverse(B)*A*B is a tree. each individual component term is a leaf. so if youre complaining about wanting a "simpler" formula, that means youre focussing too much on the leaves, and missing both the forest & the trees!
bethchen
Forums Newbie

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2011, 10:04:13 PM »

there is another construction which is simpler: take the cartesian product of 2 mandelbrot sets.
you get a 2-parameter family of 4D fractals (with m & n fold symmetry) (generated by [m,n])

[x,y,z,a] –> [x0,y0,z0,a0] + [real((x+i*y)^(m+1)),imag((x+i*y)^(m+1)),real((z+i*a)^(n+1)),imag((z+i*a)^(n+1))]

technically these 4D fractals are not 4D मण्डलबेथ maṇḍalabeth fractals, however they are closely related to 4D πολύχωροι (singular πολύχωρος).
the cartesion product of 2 generating rings (with m & n control points) (with m & n fold symmetry) is a torus/duoprism (with m*n control points) (generated by [m,n])
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 02:19:05 PM by bethchen » Logged
jehovajah
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

May a trochoid in the void bring you peace

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2011, 09:02:55 AM »

Hiya Betchen.

Although i would easily go out on a date with you embarrass becaue you are my kind of gal  grin i think you have just lost a lot of people with the technicality of your explanation!

If you use a washing machine, or cook with a pot and pan i am sure you can explain what you have just said in those terms, seriously. Much of modern design incoporates forms and surfaces higher mathematics is only just beginning to explore.

I love your analogy about the trees and the leaves, though. grin Very fractal  wink

About the date: i am married so i can't come on my own  embarrass  grin

Of course, i do want to know what poluchoroi are, so put me out of my misery! love

May a trochoid of ¥h¶h iteratively entrain your Logos Response transforming into iridescent fractals of orgasmic delight and joy, with kindness, peace and gratitude at all scales within your experience. I beg of you to enrich others as you have been enriched, in vorticose pulsations of extravagance!
DarkBeam
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Fragments of the fractal -like the tip of it

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2011, 10:59:05 AM »

Hi Betchen and all!

I have opened Betchen's site and *surprise*! there are no longer explicit formulas in the PDF. (like x'=x^3+y^3, y'=x*y ...) Yes they vanished undecided undecided undecided

Is somebody able to find them?

Luca lips are sealed cry

No sweat, guardian of wisdom!
jehovajah
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2012, 03:21:33 PM »

@ Luca. Sorry,I thought i had downloaded the original pdf but it seems not. Maybe try asking her if she has the original, and if it is not subject to copyright.

@Betchen. Hope you are well and still interested in the topic of symmetries. I have not quite got there yet, but my research into Grassmann may give us something to discuss in that regard.

May a trochoid of ¥h¶h iteratively entrain your Logos Response transforming into iridescent fractals of orgasmic delight and joy, with kindness, peace and gratitude at all scales within your experience. I beg of you to enrich others as you have been enriched, in vorticose pulsations of extravagance!
jehovajah
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2012, 03:51:48 PM »

Some amateur mathematicians don’t like the Man. d. alaBeth formulae because they are
“too complicated”. If you view the summation of conjugates over the entire symmetry
group, then that’s the forest, very simple & elegant. If you view each individual group
element as a vector-matrix conjugate, thats a tree, very simple & elegant. But if you focus
on each individual component of the vector-matrix, then it gets really messy, because you’re
focussing on the leaves, and missing both the forest & the trees!
So the amateur mathematicians & fractal artists at Fractal Forums [sic] are still not satis-
fied that they have found the “real” 3D Mandelbrot set. And thus, the holy grail continues...
[17] Fractal Forums [sic]
http://fractalforums.com/

The real issue is that we want to engage in what we are creating, and to do that we need to understand. Professional mathematicians are notorious for disengaging with the public whom they serve. At all levels in this forum there is a genuine willingness to learn and explore and engage in experimental mathematics for aesthetic reasons. All any one asks for is a good and patient teacher.

DarkBeam
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Fragments of the fractal -like the tip of it

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2012, 03:56:19 PM »

Okay no problems, I already solved my problem a long ago. Don't say this around  laugh

No sweat, guardian of wisdom!
jehovajah
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2014, 11:52:18 PM »

Found this on Brtchrns site?
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~bethchen/mandalabeth/mandalabeth.3D.source.rtf

Got the figures I saw in the back of one of her PDFs

Could be fun exploring.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: