Logo by dainbramage - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Support us via Flattr FLATTR Link

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 18, 2024, 05:20:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Another rotated mandelbox video (4:20)  (Read 3087 times)
zongo
Navigator

« on: December 12, 2010, 05:33:48 PM »

Here's a new video, my second one using Mandelbulb 3d. Again, a very basic rotated box formula. This time vimeo's compression is not so good so you'd better download the original file (available for a week only and if you have a Vimeo free account). It took forever to render with my modest dual core, something like 2 weeks or so smiley

<a href="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=17719142&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=01AAEA" target="_blank">http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=17719142&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=01AAEA</a>
reallybigname
Conqueror

reallybigname reallybigname
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 08:25:33 PM »

Another awesome vid!  Love the texturing, lighting, morphing on zoom out - very "bib"-like.
Actually, on my fast connection, Vimeo 720P works great. (My monitor can't do 1080p)

¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸ ̿''\̵͇̿̿\з=(•̪●)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸
My Gallery on FractalForums:
http://www.fractalforums.com/index.php?action=gallery;su=user;cat=228;u=2941

My YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/reallybigname
cbuchner1
Fractal Phenom

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 09:32:45 PM »

Excellent.

Better than some Hollywood movies!
zongo
Navigator

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 10:38:26 PM »

Thank you for the feedback guys !  cheesy

I think there are too many blurred and blocky artifacts in the darker areas because the file I uploaded was "only" 490Mb. I guess it is too much compression for this kind of HD clip (1280*720 - h264 codec - 17000kbps - AAC sound in 256kbps - mp4 encapsulation)... And Vimeo's compression only makes it worse^^

Next time I'll have to get a Vimeo plus account and try uploading a less compressed file.

By the way I'm looking for any good tips & tricks about video compression. It seems I'm doing it right but sadly the final result (the video people got to watch on Youtube or Vimeo) isn't very good looking. Rendering/working on those animations is a very long process and seeing all those compression blocky artifacts is kind of frustrating smiley
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 01:49:28 AM »

it is great, the smooth camera path is good and the blending is well placed, pointing exactly through holes at that distance is quite cool wink
really rocky, and the best is you incorporated smooth parameter variations, that is great

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
bib
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

At the borders...

100008697663777 @bib993
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 09:50:37 AM »

Very nice indeed. Zoom out, then some paramaters variations, that reminds me a particular style, the French touch isn't it?
The quality on Vimeo is obviously better then on Youtube but on the other hand you get less hits. I also have the same problems. Sometimes I see some vids in 720p that look really neat, whereas mine as always badly compressed. I use VirtualDub and the Xvid codec...

Between order and disorder reigns a delicious moment. (Paul Valéry)
reallybigname
Conqueror

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 11:43:58 AM »

I use VirtualDub and the Xvid codec...
I usually use DivX.  Been meaning to do some Xvid comparisons.  head banging wall

UPDATE:  I don't know why I never thought of it.  I just installed Avivo for my ATI Radeon 5830, and I'm converting a video right now super fast!  I don't know if it has codecs you can use in other apps, but it can convert from a bunch of stuff to a bunch of stuff.  Although, I read about some quality issues, but I will test it out.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 01:21:54 PM by reallybigname » Logged

My YouTube channel:
zongo
Navigator

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 08:16:11 PM »

Thank you Trifox and Bib ! cheesy

You're right Bib, I was inspired by your work^^ Dezoom, changing parameters, then zoom is a very convenient and clever structure. I should find an easy way to repeat the process once or twice in the same animation.

I am also using virtual dub to create a first .avi file, then import it in After Effect for color control, fades, title, audio placement and video compression.
I should try the Divx codec, however I read it isn't free. Also it seems h264 is the "next generation" codec and it's free smiley

NB : A quick note about motion blur... Yesterday I made a test using After Effect's filter called "CC force motion blur" (native filter). Using default settings it is working pretty well with 3d fractals (though quite long to render). It adds a tiny amount of blur but in a very natural/realistic way and it doesn't ruin the details. I think I'll use this for my next animation.
reallybigname
Conqueror

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2010, 09:52:10 AM »

In vdub, try "temporal smoothing" filter for doing motion blur.  Other programs like Vegas have more options (ie. type of blur to use, more possible steps), but temporal smoothing is adjustable, and gets the job done pretty well (unlike vdub's "motion blur", which is way too strong).  You can also make the temporal smoothing or motion blur into a blend layer and mix it with the original.  Or, mix the two together... although I haven't tried that yet.
 cheesy

My YouTube channel:
zongo
Navigator

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2010, 04:18:30 PM »

Thank you for the tip, I'l have a try when my new sequence will be ready (only 227 frames to go as we speak^^).
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: