Logo by Pauldelbrot - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit us on facebook

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 29, 2024, 10:11:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Good Reason To Quit Fractals!  (Read 16452 times)
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« on: January 18, 2007, 12:44:10 PM »

Here is why you should consider Very Carefully before getting into fractal generators!!

Crap.

Lots of stuff to burn to CD-ROM this weekend...
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 12:50:28 PM by Sockratease » Logged

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

nahee_enterprises Nahee.Enterprises NaheeEnterprise
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 01:00:33 PM »

There are also many areas of the Windows system and it's settings which could be checked to see if you are using more disk space than you really need to.

Just by going to "Power Options" within Control Panel, and then going to the Hibernate tab to turn off Hibernation will most likely free up a gigabyte or so (depending on your particular system).

And another item is within "System Properties" of My Computer, under the System Restore tab, click the Settings button to see what is being allocated there.

Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 11:05:32 AM »

Yup...

I've disliked windows since I first saw 3.1 

I already did the system restore thing long ago, but I never knew about the Hibernate feature using that much space!  I'll try that too!

Thanx!!

Much space freed by deleting ALL those 800 MB avi files complied from 1,000 Bitmaps.

I NEED to learn about codecs for this.

I can't seem to hit anything below 80 to 100 MB per minute and maintain image quality.

Further compression ruins things.

I've seen 10 MB files that ran almost 2 minutes and looked Great!

More research I guess.

I made a serious topic in the "Let's Collaborate" category for that. I only posted the image here in the Humor section because I thought it was funny.

I had a TI 1,000  for over 20 years before I upgraded.

Wrote Lots of programs in Basic (mostly creating sound effects for videos).

Never filled the hard drive!!

I'm running out of Virtual Memory constantly now...

Weeeeeeeeeee!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 11:16:52 AM by Sockratease » Logged

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
lycium
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 06:42:42 PM »

I NEED to learn about codecs for this.

http://www.koepi.org/XviD-1.1.2-01112006.exe (look around for 2-pass encoding guides)
http://x264.nl/ (see also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X264)

matera
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2007, 06:18:55 AM »

Yeah, and clean those temp folders! - but burn CDs before you end up with too little drive space to burn a CD! LOL

Just for the record, you should defrag before burning backups - and you need some free space to do that! Also, the best way to burn a large number of smaller files is to write an iso to the hard drive first so that the burn will go smoothly and you won't get a "coaster" instead of a good CD. CD burners must have a perfectly steady flow of data, and scattered, fragmented files cause a lot of hard drive "seeking" activity that can choke the flow. One tiny disruption and the CD is dead plastic.
eNZedBlue
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2007, 09:03:59 AM »

I have the same problem. I can never bring myself to compress my 24-bit BMP images to a lossy format like JPG either and formats like PNG are harder to write save/load code for. I should really go find a library that does it. I just keep buying more and more external 200GB USB hard-drives smiley
lycium
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2007, 12:14:52 PM »

Just for the record, you should defrag before burning backups

modern hard drives can keep up with cd and dvd burning speeds quite well; this is especially true of large files.

One tiny disruption and the CD is dead plastic.

that was back in the days of 4x burners smiley

formats like PNG are harder to write save/load code for. I should really go find a library that does it.

http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/libpng.html

Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2007, 02:37:37 PM »

One tiny disruption and the CD is dead plastic.

that was back in the days of 4x burners smiley

Actually, this problem can still occur quite often even with newer hardware, systems, and burning software.  I have a 2-GHz DELL Dimension P-4 with a Samsung CDRW/DVD SM-332B, and use Roxio's CD Creator version 5 on it.  I burn a lot of CD on that machine, and out of a few hundred that I went through last year, I have about 25 that are now useless.

And It happens more often if I use Microsoft's CD burning options built into the Windows-XP operating system, no matter what the hardware is.

lycium
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2007, 02:45:20 PM »

there certainly is a big software factor involved; i recommend deepburner - it's free and really good, especially when it comes to buffering. this is what makes nero considerably more reliable than other burning applications - when you use a large buffer the hard drive can catch up when reading big files, the burning isn't affected by small system stalls, etc.

i used to get the same problems when using adaptec's easycd program (i think it was called). just like with download managers, there's a lot of crap software out there smiley

Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2007, 02:56:34 PM »

Thomas Ludwig (lycium) wrote:
>
>    ...i recommend deepburner - it's free and really good....
>    this is what makes Nero considerably more reliable than
>    other burning applications...

Yes, Nero is a fairly stable and fast application, and easy to use.

>
>    i used to get the same problems when using adaptec's
>    easycd program (i think it was called).

It's been about a decade since I used Adaptec's program.  But back then, it was pretty good on my system.

matera
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2007, 03:32:26 AM »

We don't all have perfect computers, Lycium, dear.
lycium
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2007, 03:48:59 AM »

ha, my computer is far from "perfect" smiley what is a perfect computer anyway? "one day, computers will be fast..."

i've used many computers, from a greenscreen apple to my current powerful-but-not-quite-state-of-the-art desktop machine; i'll be using a 1.5ghz laptop for commercial coding work soon while "on holiday", and that's beside the point anyway - no machine since 1997 (which is roundabout the time of adaptec's easycd creator paul and i were discussing) should really have difficulty burning cds using decent software.

edit: for what it's worth, i'm also having storage problems on my limited machine, thanks in part to fractal animations - 1 second of uncompressed hd animation takes 150mb!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 03:57:06 AM by lycium » Logged

eNZedBlue
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2007, 03:53:23 AM »

formats like PNG are harder to write save/load code for. I should really go find a library that does it.

http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/libpng.html
Ah, thanks smiley
Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2007, 12:11:00 PM »

>
>    "one day, computers will be fast..."

Years ago, I used to want my own personal Cray (back when they were fast).    wink

>
>    for what it's worth, i'm also having storage problems on my
>    limited machine, thanks in part to fractal animations - 1 second
>    of uncompressed hd animation takes 150mb!

With the increase of videos and animation, PCs will soon come standard with TerraByte hard drives.  (Personally, that is too little for my current needs.)    wink

lycium
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2007, 02:06:18 PM »

>
>    "one day, computers will be fast..."

Years ago, I used to want my own personal Cray (back when they were fast).    wink

i'm sure you now see, with the proverbial 20/20 hindsight, how fortunate you were not to make that purchase! those crays were absolutely horrible to program, due to the fact that they cut so many corners for speed; for example they didn't support ieee floating point arithmetic, which of course means that while your computations can be fast, they can never be accurate! on some crays it was so bad that 1.0 * x != x, something guaranteed (with stronger bounds) by ieee754.

even in 2006/2007 there are programmers snubbing the utility of floating point computations... but that's another matter wink

another apocryphal (american) quote: "all the speed in the world won't help if you're headed the wrong way!"

With the increase of videos and animation, PCs will soon come standard with TerraByte hard drives.  (Personally, that is too little for my current needs.)    wink

modern video compression techniques (mpeg4 avc, wavelet methods, ...) can squeeze some ridiculously high quality hd video into just a few megabits of bandwidth. it's extremely impressive really; i've been reading about video compression for longer than even ray tracing (which in turn i've studied about 6x longer than fractals, in years) and it's just incredible to see how much progress has been made approaching the true entropy of the video signal. thanks to this i get away with 300gb of storage cheesy

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: