Logo by Fiery - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Did you know ? you can use LaTex inside Postings on fractalforums.com!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 29, 2024, 04:21:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: True 4d M extension: Search for the Holy Grail(s) goes on...  (Read 8776 times)
Description: For a sort of fresh start, sort of...
fracmonk
Fractal Fertilizer

« on: November 26, 2010, 12:18:51 AM »

For technical reasons apparently, Trifox thought it would be best to continue the "search for the Holy Grail...", started by ILLI elsewhere, so, welcome to elsewhere.

It's slightly renamed, based on the whims of whoever winds up opening it, and this time it was yours truly, only because it was the only way I had left to answer a question left before it was closed.

For trafassel- in the old thread, page 13, post 190, can be found the scheme in its basic workings.  I really really really can't make heads or tails out of Mbulb-friendly code!  But if it could do what newx, newy, etc. do in post 190, it would have my blessing.  Again, if I ever get the chance to try it with ChaosPro, I'll try that first.  If you have a really deep understanding of the workings of Mbulb & think you can get it to do this, sure, give it a shot.  Regards.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 07:23:11 PM by fracmonk, Reason: punctuation... » Logged
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 04:24:21 AM »

sorry for inconvenience, i (we) are not sure about how to handle overlong threads yet,

here is the link for the specific thread entry you meant:
http://www.fractalforums.com/3d-fractal-generation/truerer-true-3d-mandelbrot-fractal-%28search-for-the-holy-grail-continues%29/msg16411/#msg16411

and the whole originating thread:
http://www.fractalforums.com/3d-fractal-generation/truerer-true-3d-mandelbrot-fractal-%28search-for-the-holy-grail-continues%29/

please continue as acustomed
 angel

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
fracmonk
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 09:03:01 PM »

Trifox-  Thank you so much for the links.  Wish I knew how to do it myself.  I'm pathetic w. the aspects that make things handier, so it's v. appreciated.

One thing I noticed about locking a thread is that entries can no longer be modified, and I've seen more stupid mistakes I've made and never caught before in my haste...oh, well...

I can either reference the GOOD downloads from here, or repost them.  Which is preferred?
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 12:00:55 PM »

better reference them, it is also not quite sure how to handle overlong threads, in my eyes they tend to become unusable, on the other hand
they have all the information in one thread, no matter how long a thread becomes, in this particular thread it was just an intervention of me....

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
trafassel
Fractal Bachius

trafassel
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 07:00:09 PM »

I implemented the formula:

newx=(x*x)-(y*y)-(2*z*w)+a
newy=(2*x*y)+(z*z)-(w*w)+b
newz=(2*x*z)-(2*y*w)+c
neww=(2*x*w)+(2*y*z)+d

Some pics where w (and d=0)   - XYZ Variant.

* Data361pic10097small.jpg (252.36 KB, 1200x1200 - viewed 251 times.)

* Data361pic10098small.jpg (250.63 KB, 1200x1200 - viewed 251 times.)
fracmonk
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 07:19:11 PM »

trafassel-  It's interesting, but it's gotta be wrong, since no view I've come up with has that boxy nature.  The formulaic was of course a functional guide, and may have to be adapted to a given generator's syntax requirements.  If I haven't mentioned it before, the character of most pix I've done w. the corrected version highlights what appears to be intersections of escape sets causing erosion of M-set shapes with other M-set features, i.e. crossing cusps, cut off bulbs, etc.  But ALL edges in 2-d, even for eroded minis, have edges that correspond to some edge parts of M. Easier to show than explain, but I cannot upload from where I am for some time.

Trifox-  I think it would be best to reference as needed then, only when needs arise.
fracmonk
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 07:30:55 PM »

To review, the old thread kindly linked to here by Trifox in post 1 contains many observational errors caused by my own code error.  To save you time, I've decided to highlight HERE those posts THERE that are correct and contain reliable info.

Undisputably GOOD info only begins there w. post 251.  The corrected (FractInt '.frm' 2d slice-view formulae) code is just above some sample pix there.  Those pix and the others in post 256 were done w. it.

In general, you must take into acct. that previously generated pix & their coords. are just plain wrong & merely artifactual.  Much conceptual data is right and pure math cited is correct, but the body of observational data is still remaining suspect due to the code error.  Controversy over division in the space, only further distracting, can be disregarded to the extent that it does not apply to M.  In all other respects, I'd hoped to be at least passably entertaining.

Also, for danger of it being lost to obscurity, please do not miss post 243, which may help you cope w. the loss of our Founder.  It never made it to the more specific thread opened for remembrances.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 07:42:13 PM by fracmonk, Reason: clarity? » Logged
fracmonk
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 04:18:07 PM »

Trafassel-  Let me add that every dimensional subset (2d or 3d "slices") of this 4d object has rough edges or surfaces, nothing smooth in any view.  My recent complaint has been that any 3d generating programs are sparse on both how they work and how to use them effectively.  We are forced to guess whether an algebraic must be translated into a trigonometric (in which case I would probably NEVER be able to help...) or whether a simple 3-d diagrammetric map is given a perspective view (again, trigonometrically) by a programmer who just wants to show off...inadvertently making a formula the programmer hadn't counted on- go haywire...which is why, for now, with so little time at my disposal, I stick w. FractInt and generate incremental slices in 2d to get an overview of the object.  Hope that helps...later!
trafassel
Fractal Bachius

trafassel
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 11:55:54 PM »

In the XYW-Space again the rough edges appears (as you wrote).

But with higher iterations it looks a little bit smoother.

* Data362pic10058small.jpg (252.02 KB, 1200x1200 - viewed 261 times.)

* Data362pic10137small.jpg (90.78 KB, 1200x1200 - viewed 258 times.)
David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2010, 03:58:55 AM »

Here's an alternative approach:

A complex number (x+i*y) can be written as:

m*(cos(a), sin(a)) = m*(x/sqrt(x^2+y^2), y/sqrt(x^2+y^2)) = m*(x/m, y/m)

where m is the magnitude (sqrt(x^2+y^2)) and a is the angle (atan2(y,x) in C).

Now consider instead the direction cosines - namely cos(ax)=x/sqrt(x^2+y^2) and cos(ay)=y/sqrt(x^2+y^2) (obviously ax is a and ay is 90-ax), so we have:

m*(cos(ax), cos(ay)) = m*(x/sqrt(x^2+y^2), y/sqrt(x^2+y^2))

This can easily be extended to more dimensions, so for 3 with m= sqrt(x^2+y^2+z^2) we have:

(x+i*y+j*z) = m*(cos(ax), cos(ay), cos(az)) = m*(x/sqrt(x^2+y^2+z^2), y/sqrt(x^2+y^2+z^2), z/sqrt(x^2+y^2+z^2))

Also note (x/m)^2 + (y/m)^2 + (z/m)^2 = 1
Edit: Just a reminder that m = sqrt(x^2+y^2+z^2) here.

Now consider squaring this form, taking the most generic format then for complex numbers we have:

Code:
(x,y)^2 = m^2*(cx,cy)*| cx   cy| = m^2*(cx^2-cy^2, 2*cx*cy)
                      |-cy   cx|

So extending to 3D we can use:
Code:
(x,y,z)^2 = m^2*(cx,cy,cz)*|cx                cy          +/-cx/cy/cz|
                           |-cy               cx          +/-cx/cy/cz|
                           |+/-cx/cy/cz    +/-cx/cy/cz    +/-cx/cy/cz|

This gives up to 6^5 possibilities to try smiley
I kinda like the look of these, but haven't tried any yet:

Code:
| cx         cy    +/-cz|
|-cy         cx    +/-cy|
|+/-cz    +/-cy    +/-cx|

However I suspect the only 16 that really make sense are:

Code:
|  cx      cy      +/-cz|
| -cy      cx      +/-cy|
|+/-cz    +/-cz     cx  |
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 03:39:32 AM by David Makin » Logged

The meaning and purpose of life is to give life purpose and meaning.

http://www.fractalgallery.co.uk/
"Makin' Magic Music" on Jango
fracmonk
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2010, 08:01:01 PM »

Trafassel-  I have to give D.M.'s post here a good study, but to be sure of what I told you, I looked for & found a symmetry that might resemble your pix just a little little bit.

2d plots of a by b where c=d have x-axis symmetry.  As |c=d| increases, the middle of the whole m-set you have when c=d=0 is cut away, in the way of a mirrored sunset over a still lake, so that the last you would see of it is when |c=d|>.793909 at approx. a=-.207107, b=0.  There, the filament end of the period 3 bulb finally perishes below the horizon, to continue the analogy.  If you stacked the incremental c=d views, it might look a little something like your pix, maybe moreso when the whole is turned 90 degrees on the real axis, but certainly without the flat areas of bulbs that emerge in your pix visible at the surface.  If you INTENDED such a view as I just described, your program rebelled on you, and maybe D.M.'s advice will fix it.  WAY beyond me, but I'll try to figure what's going on there...
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 08:03:56 PM by fracmonk » Logged
dyukv
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2010, 11:44:59 PM »

Hi everyone!

I've been pondering a bit about the 3d spheres distribution on the main cardioid.
Since all attempts so far don't quite replicate the outer pattern seen in the 2d set (not without leaving many areas flat or distorted) I tried to find a simple way to transpose it in 3d: going from lower to higher periods and applying simple addiction/subtractions to simulate a 3d pattern.
The results so far are interesting- there seems to be a secondary "chain" going towards the period 3 sphere.
I'm not a mathematician, and I'm not good with numbers, so this is probably very wrong: but even if it's wrong I think there could be a way to predict the position and the period of the spheres looking at the 2d slice, even if we don't know the right formula for the higher dimension analogue.

So.. uh.. Keep up the good work!

fracmonk
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2010, 04:26:41 PM »

dyukv-  There IS in fact a complex analogue for every point within the 4d m-set object, so that any 4d coordinate has a 2d equivalent that it can be converted to.  That fact pretty much defines its limits in the space.  This was obfuscated by the bad code I spoke of.  The paper I wrote gets into this, but it might be better for you to wait for the updated version, that I will upload as soon as I can get to equipment that will allow it.

Also, I must reiterate that it is commutative, and therefore NOT in any way shape or form quaternion.  The difficulty comes with the notion that an extension of complex must be quaternion in the minds of those who programmed maybe ALL the 3d programs that exist to begin with.  All it has in common with those is the need for 4d for its full expression. 
fracmonk
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2010, 07:29:05 PM »

David- W. my sadly underdeveloped trig. skills, I can only *assume* that your 3d treatment of post 9 would handle projection of j=sqrt(i) from Re & Im correctly.  But then how would the ij axis be worked in at other times?

I read author's notes on Chaospro, & I GET IT that trig. is resorted to in 3d progs. as a timesaving measure.  x*y*z= a lot of locations to test & store.  I would still rather do that by my method, where combinations of 3 of 4 axes can be mapped effortlessly and reliably, leaving the machines to crunch thru it by brute force if necessary, so as not to wait months for a reliable visual...

Otherwise we try to find trig. solutions to each that may wind up conflicting w. each other.  Also, I don't see the connection between your math and your code, but only because I don't know Mbulb code...so I'm in no position to tell whether your implementation reflects the formulaic in post 4 accurately.  My bad...

Mbulb is no doubt a true wonder, but I can only go on faith alone that only 4 of its many potential 3d expressions will accurately map j & ij with complex components.  Many many thanx for taking that on!
fracmonk
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2010, 02:39:44 PM »

(by bunneemail) explanation to follow:

Due to fear of terrorists and hackers and bears (oh my!), I cannot upload from the public machine I'm writing on now.  But my bunny can from elsewhere!

Another pinch point:

The first 2 pix show a plot of c by d for a=-1 and are centered on c=0, d=.25.  The large circular feature in the first corresponds to the period 2 bulb in M, radius .25.  Picture 2 magnifies the same location by 100.

3rd is of a by d, with d=.25 @ ctr., for b=c=0.  Pretty cool, huh?

A conversion of the coords. algebraically corresponds to -1.176776695+.176776695i (approx.)

For more insight, consult latest version of my paper below.  Sorry, v. outta time!

* Pcd4am0.GIF (9.17 KB, 320x200 - viewed 1033 times.)

* Pcd4am2.GIF (24.52 KB, 320x200 - viewed 1040 times.)

* Padm2.GIF (38.64 KB, 320x200 - viewed 1042 times.)
* notqat9N.doc (72 KB - downloaded 149 times.)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 05:00:10 PM by fracmonk, Reason: no infringement » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: