Logo by JosLeys - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Did you know ? you can use LaTex inside Postings on fractalforums.com!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 19, 2024, 02:07:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Need help: trying to get rid of rendering artefact ...  (Read 1115 times)
Description: Help Needed
cytotox
Alien

« on: November 17, 2010, 10:08:12 PM »

Hi

I am new to this forum and still fairly new to 3D fractal rendering and this impressive software (quite addictive - I wish I had more time). I have have been rendering fractal images on and of for about 20 years (starting with fractint and later using ultrafractal), and I also have a basic understanding concerning complex number math. However, I don't understand much about the concepts of raytracing.

Having said that, is somebody here able to help me getting rid of rendering artefacts? I have tried a lot of different settings for the diverse calculation parameters, but generally the artefacts simply move to other parts of the image. My best bet so far was to disable the "Vary DE stop on FOV" button  sad

The artefacts are solid-looking planes with fragmented edges as shown in the example image (partial zoom)

Mandelbulb3Dv16{
J.....K0...r3...O/....M....AzOG9zdQ6.1.......U/EQZKDk8u6U.gBm85Fcf/6.LTDw9pX840k
................................Wc7zSk0Dy.2........Y./..................I/2.....
.................QE/3....6k69...12....E/.....Inf3a66MvjD.QEq0l4E...s.pAnAx1....Q
/7....kD....1..........wz.......................................................
........jg5wKljtJwXP7I0JVrvwyG4vvrOJANjDmEfbt2Hdxv1q1Tf47i/2zs1UhL6Krqkjoh7INuIl
4vP4J9XysHv1zYwywBJuI1lD......YdE...I3....................E.....................
..............................nxDC.krzs.EVzX1.CyDC.Qtzs..czX1.dyDC..............
................/..........U..6.B/...U0...UB....h....6/...EA....5/...I1....UM016
...U.0kEnOvwcqlx.gYmw9eO0.6.0c..U1Cs.El18XGQeGyDjvIRhrVAkz1............28.kFrA0.
FWb96aAIVzvh1se7Umvxz0...........6U0.wzzz1................................E.0c..
zzzz.................................2U.8.kzzzD.................................
/6U0.wzzz1...................................2CcN/UvNP6.eeWCNq0.yRii.EJJUk1f..XR
S1.mx3CcN/UvNP6.QsLsUa3.ibhV..bTV1OK.sSq40.ly3CcN/UvNP6.MwLsUa3.ibhV.kqTV1OK.sSq
40.kz3CcN/UvNP6...EsUa3.eeWCNq0.IJ36wk8.wyLsUa3.................................
E....6....E.....2....A....EEh3aSdtqNU6oPs/UQ..........................k/9.......
.....................NaNaNaNaNyD........kz1.....................................
................................................................................
.....................2...../....1....2IPVdLOiR460x4S............................
.Qk0.........................UzjOaNaNaNaty1........../..........................
................................................................................
................................}

* The exposed core.png (247.89 KB, 320x321 - viewed 345 times.)
bib
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

At the borders...

100008697663777 @bib993
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 10:17:29 PM »

I would try to reduce the Raystep multplier, but as you have surfaces in this fractal that get thinner and thinner, you will probably see more of the surface, but still with artifacts on the edges...

Between order and disorder reigns a delicious moment. (Paul Valéry)
Jesse
Download Section
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 10:24:41 PM »

Bib was faster  wink  and right, the problem here are the thin slides, and to not "overstep" you have to reduce the Raystep multiplier.
Maybe to down to 0.2, depends on when you are lucky with the result and how much time you have to render.
And i recommend to keep the "Vary DE stop on FOV" option and leave the DEstop value at a common amount.
bib
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

At the borders...

100008697663777 @bib993
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 10:30:24 PM »

hehe smiley
In fact, it's Prokofiev who explained me what "overstepping" means, just 2 weeks ago smiley

Between order and disorder reigns a delicious moment. (Paul Valéry)
cytotox
Alien

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 11:30:34 AM »

Thank you for the quick responses!

Bib was faster  wink  and right, the problem here are the thin slides, and to not "overstep" you have to reduce the Raystep multiplier.
Maybe to down to 0.2, depends on when you are lucky with the result and how much time you have to render.
And i recommend to keep the "Vary DE stop on FOV" option and leave the DEstop value at a common amount.

I re-rendered as suggested ("Vary DE stop on FOV" option active; DEstop value set to 0.5), setting the Raystep Multiplier to 0.05. However, the amount of artefacts stayed the same for the overall image (only shifted to other parts; you may compare the new zoom-in with the one posted previously).

So, the bottom line is that these artefacts are unavoidable (and not a bug in the program)? And do I understand it correctly that they are resulting from the way the surface of the fractal is defined / calculated using the distance estimation in conjunction (?) with the way the raymarching algorithm approaches this surface and decides where the surface is 'hit'?  huh?

(as I stated above, I have used distance estimation in UF on 2D M-set fractals without observing any artefacts. So, if I understand this right, either the 3D nature of the Mandelbulber-coded fractals and / or the raymarching process seem to necessitate somewhat arbitrary decisions, resulting in discontinuities ...)

* raystep 0.05.png (225.71 KB, 321x322 - viewed 323 times.)
Jesse
Download Section
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 08:19:25 PM »

The 3d fractal generation differs here from 2d in the way the surface must be found.
Normally you compute for 2d only every pixel to find if it belongs to the set or not, in 3d a common way is
to find for each pixel where the viewing ray hits the surface.  So you step from the camera position with
distance estimates until you hit a surface or until the maximum defined raylength is reached.

But because the distance estimates (DE's) are not absolute accurate, dependend also on the formula and its
parameters, thin slides can be just overstepped because the DE was to big in this case.

Another point is especially for the Box and IFS with high scales equally or above 2, that the real shape is like
dust and when you approach the surface, the object seems to vanish more and more because the iteration
count increases and the object get holes where it seemed to be solid before.

So there are some effects and these thin structures are difficult for raycasting algorithms to render, at least
for the algorithm m3d uses, there might be other ways that have not that problems.

Another effect is that some formulas have steps when calculating the DE function with the 4 point method,
what could lead to noise in the image where no object is.  That can be avoided by settin the minimum
iteration count to higher values, but lower than the average iteration counts so that the object itself is not
affected.
hobold
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 12:01:11 PM »

There might be a way to to change the nature of such artifacts, and turn them into noise rather than stripes/moire/wave interference. This is not something the users can do, but programmers can try it.

When you start marching along a ray, treat the very first step specially. Rather than using the DE as usual, multiply it with a random number between 0.0 and 1.0; use different random numbers for every ray. That way, the rays are no longer traced in lockstep, because each one is slightly out of sync with the others. When they finally hit the fractal surface, most potential artifacts should be distributed randomly across all rays.

Noise is an artifact, too, of course. But often the human visual system is much more tolerant of noise than it is of very regular artifacts.
cytotox
Alien

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 01:42:25 PM »

<...>
Noise is an artifact, too, of course. But often the human visual system is much more tolerant of noise than it is of very regular artifacts.

If this is possible, it would be nice to have this option. As most people are rendering their fractal images at higher resolution anyway before downsampling, the use of anti-aliasing during this step would also contribute to smoothing out this noise. I'm not sure, but the result should give a less frayed appearance to the sheets' edges; instead they should look more like fading gradually ...

(possibly the edges would appear to be partially translucent)
Jesse
Download Section
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2010, 07:20:11 PM »

That is true, noise is very natural, though not often seen as a object structure itself.

A little problem might be that it becomes more obvious by the darkening from the ambient shadow,
like seen in the attached examples.
Edit: this could also be a result from the corrupted normals and/or roughness estimates on the thin slide.

A sideeffect seen in the right upper part is that the artifacts from the low binary search count is
also reduced, but these are preview settings, a value of 8 would do it better.

* OverStep.jpg (109.38 KB, 412x381 - viewed 243 times.)

* OverStepr.jpg (109.42 KB, 412x381 - viewed 237 times.)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 07:25:08 PM by Jesse » Logged
cytotox
Alien

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2010, 11:54:16 PM »

... this could also be a result from the corrupted normals and/or roughness estimates on the thin slide.

A sideeffect seen in the right upper part is that the artifacts from the low binary search count is
also reduced, but these are preview settings, a value of 8 would do it better.

Hello Jesse

I'm sorry but I do not understand what you mean here. Are you suggesting to raise the value of the 'Stepcount for binary search' parameter from 5 to 8 (or more) to get the less frayed appearance seen in the lower picture? I tried that, but could not reproduce your result (and what about the 'Smooth normals' parameter?) ...

Can you post the parameter file or tell me which settings you changed to obtain the result shown in the lower picture?
Jesse
Download Section
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2010, 12:05:33 AM »

Yes, the 'Stepcount for binary search' parameter should be 8 to 12 for the final image, but this don't changes the overstepping artifacts seen in this images.
The last image is made with hobold's suggestion to give the artifacts a random look and is available in the next program version, wait some days.  wink
And the smooth normals parameter is affecting the phong shading and the main effect is that it reduces the specular light amount at edges to reduce moire like effects.  More than 3 does not change very much and does not change the overstepping too, unfortunately.
cytotox
Alien

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2010, 12:53:10 PM »

The last image is made with hobold's suggestion to give the artifacts a random look and is available in the next program version, wait some days

Hey, that's cool, man! afro
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: