END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Did you know ? you can use LaTex inside Postings on fractalforums.com!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 19, 2024, 08:57:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: PROGRAMS THAT USED TO WORK  (Read 3525 times)
Wel lEnTaoed
« on: November 15, 2010, 05:26:54 PM »

Last summer I purchased a small 13 inch laptop so that I could watch hulu on my big screen TV.  I also got into a couple of fractal art programs.  Chaospro & fractal Forge.  After a short time they quit working. I have tried downloading again & again.  Nothing works. I even took PC to best buys geek squad.  They are useless. They said I could pay to have OS re-istalled for over $100 but no guarrantee. My new PC works on windows 7 64 bit.  Any help wouls be welcomed I have NOT lost Fractal Explorer, Mandelbulb 3d.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 06:01:18 PM by Well En Taoed » Logged
lenord
Fractal Bachius

No Matter where you go there you are

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 06:48:35 PM »

Maybe related to the 64 bit platform, I don't know but you get a lot of stuff, especially older apps, don't play well with it.
Bent-Winged Angel
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 02:33:23 PM »

Maybe you should have put this in the "help & support" section.  If the programs used to work.. then maybe it could have also something to do with updates?  As Lenard said older programs?  Maybe not too many fractal programs are made for W7 being that OS is fairly new.

Madman
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 05:43:02 PM »

I use Chaospro in a Win7 64 bits environment without any issues (and many other 32-bits apps). You say "after a short time they stopped working" which implies that they worked fine in the beginning? In that case my first advice would be to use a registry cleaner (Eusing's a free one) and see if that helps.

If that doesn't work out: What do you see when you start the program? Any messages?

All I want is a warm bed, a kind word and unlimited power (Ashleigh Brilliant)
Wel lEnTaoed
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 04:46:20 PM »

I use Chaospro in a Win7 64 bits environment without any issues (and many other 32-bits apps). You say "after a short time they stopped working" which implies that they worked fine in the beginning? In that case my first advice would be to use a registry cleaner (Eusing's a free one) and see if that helps.

If that doesn't work out: What do you see when you start the program? Any messages?
Thanks for the idea. buut it did not work.  Ran several times.  I even tried a systen resore, but it only lets me go back to end of sept.  Chaospro did not show up atleasr not that version.  Ohhh out of curiousity I was able to download the ORIGINAL version.  But as I went up in time to most recent I could not get,  I also have had problems withb other fractal programs that should work.  fiery fiery fiery fiery

VERY FRUSTRATING!
Bent-Winged Angel
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 09:46:52 PM »

Something may have corrupted the OS.  If you purchased this last sum,mer you should be able to have it checked maybe for free? 

Madman
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 10:38:27 PM »

Just looking for some alternative solutions...

It seems 32 bits applications must be installed in the <Program Files (x86)> folder and they may not work if run from another location (e.g. the <Program Files> folder. So where did you install?

After the installation failed did you completely de-install the defunct version or just installed over it? In the latter case, try a complete de-install.

I found an article on the pecularities of Win32 apps in a Win64 environment, maybe that will help you further: http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/how-windows7-vista64-support-32bit-applications.htm

Hope this helps. If I think of anything else (except a clean install of your OS ;-)), I'll let you know

All I want is a warm bed, a kind word and unlimited power (Ashleigh Brilliant)
David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 01:05:24 PM »

Just looking for some alternative solutions...

It seems 32 bits applications must be installed in the <Program Files (x86)> folder and they may not work if run from another location (e.g. the <Program Files> folder. So where did you install?

After the installation failed did you completely de-install the defunct version or just installed over it? In the latter case, try a complete de-install.

I found an article on the pecularities of Win32 apps in a Win64 environment, maybe that will help you further: http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/how-windows7-vista64-support-32bit-applications.htm

Hope this helps. If I think of anything else (except a clean install of your OS ;-)), I'll let you know

Just to add to that - in addition to the install location/method, perhaps this tip from the comments will also help:

Did you try with the compatibility mode? you can select, for example, to run the application like on a windows XP sp3.

to do this you have to right click on the .exe and select options, then under compatibility you will see it.

The meaning and purpose of life is to give life purpose and meaning.

http://www.fractalgallery.co.uk/
"Makin' Magic Music" on Jango
Wel lEnTaoed
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2010, 04:13:04 PM »

Thanks to all. Have tried everything.  Been in touch with MartinP.  (the creator of Chaospro.)  He mentioned making sure tat cfg files were deleted. I guess if there is anything remaining it could cause a conflict.  I could get a couple of older versions, but then removed them & now cannot get any.  I guess now I go with BWA's idea of taking it in for a hardware diagnostics..  I get a free one anyway.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: