Logo by blob - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Follow us on Twitter

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 29, 2024, 01:39:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: HOW DO YOU VIEW THE USA  (Read 5408 times)
Wel lEnTaoed
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2010, 02:41:33 PM »

Most Americans have no commonsense & the attention span of a teetsy fly!  The will change political views like they change the channel.  Also drama queens. So all the fauxpas news BS & relgious fanatics really get their attention. Media has a feeding frenzy with it. I blame them also.  Yes Bush accelerated the process, even tho it started with Reagan.  Definately have lost our edge with math, science ed.  sad cry
Bent-Winged Angel
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2010, 04:36:06 PM »

On the lighter side.. champagne toast
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/IMJDxg421xg&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/IMJDxg421xg&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1</a>
A great brewery in the US.

Bent-Winged Angel
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2010, 04:17:16 PM »

TGLAD  "We should measure how advanced a country is by how it treats other countries, how it treats its poor, how it treats the nature that it is sharing the land with. Not by how rich its richest are, or how powerful its leaders are."  that's what iot SHOULD come down to!  Also I believe & would love feedback on how other nations view president Obama.  I believe he is only treated disrespecfully by his own citizens. cry

hobold
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2010, 08:25:43 PM »

A quote that is both very funny and very serious at the same time:

"As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron. — Henry Louis Mencken, "Bayard vs. Lioneart," Baltimore Evening Sun, 26 July 1920.

This is absolutely not specific to the United States of America (Europe, for instance, is full of representative democracies that are all too representative :-) ). Perhaps this is the reason why President Obama no longer enjoys the sympathy of his people. They voted him into office because he promised to be a better person than George W. Then Obama turned out to indeed be a man of virtue and farsightedness. And now the ordinary citizens are confronted with the fact that maybe such high standards are not representative.

It is everybody's very own choice to feel either humbled or humiliated in the presence of a shining example. The latter is more convenient, though, because it doesn't prompt you to completely change your ways.
Bent-Winged Angel
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2010, 06:37:09 PM »

A quote that is both very funny and very serious at the same time:

"As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron. — Henry Louis Mencken, "Bayard vs. Lioneart," Baltimore Evening Sun, 26 July 1920.

It is everybody's very own choice to feel either humbled or humiliated in the presence of a shining example. The latter is more convenient, though, because it doesn't prompt you to completely change your ways.

Love Mencken quotes (quirky) smiley  The latter quote about being humbled or humiliated says it all.  I remember I used to say that I was trying to be more "Obama like"  But since then I have lost my "audacity of hope" & have gone to the dark side.  IE:  Bush & Cheney need to be held accountable.

ker2x
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2010, 07:33:08 PM »

I see it as a dying country, but with enough power to kill the rest of the world.

I like their idea of individual (selfish?) liberty.
I think that their educational system is weird (very good elite education, but the rest is totally dumbed down. (france is following the same path btw)).
their economy is insane (W bush ... (but france got sarkozy...))
Too much religion everywhere (intelligent design at school ? wtf?!)

USA did a lot of mistake... and France repeat the same mistakes  angry

often times... there are other approaches which are kinda crappy until you put them in the context of parallel machines
(en) http://www.blog-gpgpu.com/ , (fr) http://www.keru.org/ ,
Sysadmin & DBA @ http://www.over-blog.com/
Wel lEnTaoed
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2010, 03:42:34 PM »

I see it as a dying country, but with enough power to kill the rest of the world.

I like their idea of individual (selfish?) liberty.
I think that their educational system is weird (very good elite education, but the rest is totally dumbed down. (france is following the same path btw)).
their economy is insane (W bush ... (but france got sarkozy...))
Too much religion everywhere (intelligent design at school ? wtf?!)

USA did a lot of mistake... and France repeat the same mistakes  angry

To the rupublicans liberty mens having the right to tell everyone else how to live.  Right now we have gotten some in congress who want to get rid off all gov't programs, like public shcools.  At least in France the youth are ambitious /intelligent enough to protest.  Yes too much org. religion.  WE are supposed to have "freedom from religion."  GW is now doing his book tour.  Touting how he was an alcoholic til age of 40.  Bragging about being a war criminal.  Then he became "born again"  Last resort for a dying soul? When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag carrying a cross!
Bent-Winged Angel
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2010, 05:51:57 PM »

Wasn't Rumsfield forced out of France?   (because of the war crimes)

ker2x
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2010, 07:42:22 PM »

To the rupublicans liberty mens having the right to tell everyone else how to live.

As long as you have the liberty to not listen to them... it's ok, isn'it ? smiley

often times... there are other approaches which are kinda crappy until you put them in the context of parallel machines
(en) http://www.blog-gpgpu.com/ , (fr) http://www.keru.org/ ,
Sysadmin & DBA @ http://www.over-blog.com/
Bent-Winged Angel
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2010, 10:22:42 PM »

To the rupublicans liberty mens having the right to tell everyone else how to live.

As long as you have the liberty to not listen to them... it's ok, isn'it ? smiley

Not when they (those with power) change & or ignore laws of civil liberties. Sadly I have experienced this.

Thunderwave
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2010, 12:01:25 AM »

If you really don't get picky on the details, what country doesn't take advantage of their citizens and those from other countries to get what they want.  It comes down to no country is perfect and the U.S. is a teenager just getting over puberty.  So why can't people teach the U.S. what the "older" countries learned?  Well because teenagers rarely listen and obey, they just try to break the rules and act all macho.  I just hope we don't go all killing each other over who's greater and who has the better god.  If there's anything to learn from all of fractals it's that the more things change the more they stay the same, just more complex or less but still the same similar patterns repeat all over the world.
David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2010, 05:34:28 AM »

Unfortunately to many people liberty apparently means forcing people to abide by laws or rules that themselves restrict liberty beyond what I'd regard as the necessary bounds.
To me the measure of how good a country's socio-political system is, is how toleant it is without condoning outright wrongdoing (or evil if you want a more emotive term), how freely it allows criticism of and satirical humour about the "authorities" and how even-handed it is in terms of human rights (e.g. racism, sexism, ageism etc.)
The problem with the US Republicans (and many other right wingers and some extreme left wingers) is that their tolerance bpundaries are severely restricted to the point of not allowing free speech and actively descriminating against anyone who doesn't closely share their own beliefs (or even just those who *they think* don't share their beliefs).

The meaning and purpose of life is to give life purpose and meaning.

http://www.fractalgallery.co.uk/
"Makin' Magic Music" on Jango
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: