Logo by Trifox - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Check out the originating "3d Mandelbulb" thread here

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 29, 2024, 03:12:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: How do you install exact linux packages  (Read 2756 times)
Thunderwave
« on: October 26, 2010, 09:28:07 PM »

So I tried to install MDZ, it requires all these packages I don't have.  I try to install those, but they require other packages.  I tried to install them using Synaptic Package Manager but there is no exact one that just says what package you need.

Very confusing.  Do I need to download each one and manually keep installing missing packages until I get the ones I need?
jwm-art
Iterator

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 11:43:14 PM »

I don't use Ubuntu but was a long time Debian user until recently (Ubuntu is a Debian derived distro).

Open two terminals. In the first sudo aptitude in the second cd mdz-0.0.6/src/ && make

You can then switch between the two terminals when the MDZ build fails to install the require packages from aptitude.

Search for packages in aptitude by pressing / and then entering a search term ie if you're missing gtk packages search for libgtk (press n for next match) until you hit the libgtkxxx-dev (where xxx is the gtk2 version).

When you have selected a package in aptitude (by pressing + on it) for install, and then press g to install it, if that package has unsatisfied dependencies you can just press + on the unsatisfied dependencies line to select all unsatisfied dependencies for install as well. Then press g again and they will all be downloaded installed.

If you can't manage this, just post the errors you're getting when trying to build MDZ and I'll see if I can work out what you need to install.
Thunderwave
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 12:09:39 AM »

I just figured out how to install aptitude!  LOL
I tried to do what you told me last time but I couldn't install aptitude until now.

Thanks I'll keep you posted.
Thunderwave
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 12:49:09 AM »

Piece of cake!  It worked.  Thank you so very much! cheesy
jwm-art
Iterator

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 09:25:22 AM »

Piece of cake!  It worked.  Thank you so very much! cheesy

Phew!
German Fafian
Forums Freshman

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 10:26:05 AM »

Somehow I find it odd you had to go thru so much for installing a simple program in a debian based distro.

You are using Ubuntu. Right?

You should only need to open a terminal and type

-. $ sudo apt-get install name-of-program-you-want-installed

That should be it.

Your physical abilities should not limit your creativity.
jwm-art
Iterator

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 12:46:57 PM »

Somehow I find it odd you had to go thru so much for installing a simple program in a debian based distro.

You are using Ubuntu. Right?

You should only need to open a terminal and type

-. $ sudo apt-get install name-of-program-you-want-installed

That should be it.

MDZ has not been packaged and must be built from source code. So GCC, and GNU Make are required at minimum. It also has several library dependencies, which, in distros like Ubuntu and Debian the libraries have been split into binary and development packages.
German Fafian
Forums Freshman

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2010, 01:27:53 PM »

Got it!
Have not used any graphical desktop distro for a while as I work with servers and had no idea this was not packaged!
Cool he got it running wink

Thunderwave
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2010, 05:31:52 PM »

The program is worth it though. I'm doing a deep zoom right now and have gone beyond 128 bit floating point.  It is faster then I had expected.
German Fafian
Forums Freshman

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2010, 05:41:26 PM »

The program is worth it though. I'm doing a deep zoom right now and have gone beyond 128 bit floating point.  It is faster then I had expected.
Well. In general. Any Unix/Linux should be much faster and efficient on resources than Wins.
That and reliability is what I miss the most when making my music and fractal under win. Even thought Win 7 is quite good and leaps and bounds better than that Bad Vista thing..  wink

Thunderwave
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2010, 04:00:21 AM »

Unfortunately, some times when I save the settings, the program crashes.  I'm not sure why yet but I will try the upgrade and see if it still does crash.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: