Logo by Pauldelbrot - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Support us via Flattr FLATTR Link

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 19, 2024, 06:08:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Rendering Heightmap - How to best do it ?  (Read 3186 times)
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« on: October 21, 2010, 05:06:04 PM »

i am wondering if there is one single program which can easily create a heightmap image of a map,

- i saw that fractint is able to do it, but i couldnt find a method to actually HOW to do it

- i could write an opengl heightmap render but do not have fun to do it

- there is terragen, a landscape renderer for heightmaps, a bit over the top, i do not want photorealistic results, just plain rgb heightmap rendering

- povray - i know it can do it, but enormous complex to set up

so, has anyone here created a heightmap rendering without programming a single line by itself ?

or do i have to write my own plain heightmap renderer sad

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 02:24:27 AM »

Maybe one of Terry Gintz' programs will do heightfields ?

If you don't need output for actual rendering as realworld solid 3D objects then I (like Jos) have a WIP formula for UF/(ChaosPro) that allows heightfield rendering of a few formulas in UF but mine's in a bit of a mess atmo and not really suitable for public consumption, but if you're getting desperate I can try and tidy it up a little and send you a private copy if you like ?

I just remembered - Ron (Barnett) rendered some heightfields too - maybe his formula is in the UF formula database (probably in reb.ulb).
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 02:26:02 AM by David Makin » Logged

The meaning and purpose of life is to give life purpose and meaning.

http://www.fractalgallery.co.uk/
"Makin' Magic Music" on Jango
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 02:45:40 AM »

thank you, i will check the database

---

fractalrebel
Fractal Lover

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 11:26:02 PM »

I have a formula called mesh raytracing, but it can't do deep zooms. I am working on fixing that, but I suspect it isn't a quick fix. This may be a case of going back to the drawing board and starting from scratch.

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 11:56:12 PM »

i dont want to do deep zooms, i just want to create an image showing height map rendering version of the mandelbrot, is that mesh raytraycing in the formula database ?
can you provide an example?

---

JosLeys
Strange Attractor

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 12:28:06 AM »

You want something like this?
If so, plse contact me privately

* FHF_096L.jpg (89.39 KB, 1000x667 - viewed 291 times.)
visual.bermarte
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 02:37:48 PM »

maybe a 3d sw?
Peacock? > http://www.aviary.com/blog/posts/aviary-introduces-browser-based-terrain-generation
omegafold
Forums Newbie

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2017, 09:29:49 PM »

I just feel like adding that there is an artificial method for doing so much more than just height map adjustment.
What you do is rotate the camera about a point in your fractal, saving atleast maybe 30 images to make what will become a 3d object map you can make in Blender, automatically.
This way you can take whatever parts of the fractal that suck , and delete, or you can multiply objects, deform them in any way, add faces to fill, even make them deform as bouncy objects in animations. Make them crumble apart. Pretty much anything. They can get up and walk away!
If I get the time I'll do something to this effect in an H.R.Geiger style. Maybe have little fractal babies being born out of sludge, grow up, walk, head swells up with light then explodes.
Adam Majewski
Fractal Lover

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2017, 10:31:25 PM »

https://www.math.univ-toulouse.fr/~cheritat/wiki-draw/index.php/Mandelbrot_set#Normal_map_effect
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: