Logo by Trifox - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Follow us on Twitter

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 24, 2024, 08:54:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Recreating "the original"  (Read 2310 times)
sps
« on: October 18, 2010, 12:14:32 AM »

Hi,

First; I'm a newbie when it comes to fractals and have just started using Mandelbulber. Great program!!!!
The reason I found this and started using the program was I was reading at:
http://www.skytopia.com/project/fractal/mandelbulb.html
and found the picture:
http://www.skytopia.com/project/fractal/new/q85/Power8side-small.jpg

I have played with mandelbulder for a few hours and been reading the manual and doing my best to recreate the image above. I have failed and has now turned to this forum for help! wink

I'm using the "default.fract" as starting point and my two big challanges is two get the same amount of detail as in the picture and (most challanging) is to get the same colour and light effects as in the picture. Can someone give a hint? I have tried loading "colour_palette.jpg" but it seems hard to get (close to) the same colors. Also, lights and details seem not to be different (not as nice!).

BR
SPS
The Rev
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 12:40:59 AM »

I haven't gotten into Mandelbulber yet, but detail in fractals is all about iterations, so you might try upping the max iterations and re-rendering, and see what you get.

Of course, the guy who will know for sure is Buddhi, because the app is his creation.

The Rev
sps
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 12:43:40 AM »

I have tried mixing with itterations but without success.... 
I will have access to a 48 core machine at work and would like renderning a super-ultra-high-def-version.... smiley
sps
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 06:33:01 PM »

It seems like to quality/detail problem was easy to solve. I thought that the resolution I used should be enough, but apperently it was not.
I leaved my laptop on rendering a 5000x5000 pixel version and the quality is now really good.

Any help on how to improve light and color is appritiated though...
Buddhi
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 05:48:13 PM »

Original image was generated by Daniel White using his program but I tried also to recreate it. I have got following result:

http://www.fractalforums.com/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=3940

The most important things:
- for this colour I didn't used any colour palette. "Coloured surface" has to be disabled. Instead of this has to be used ambient occlusion with coloured light map. To do this: disable "Screen space ambient occlusion" in "post effects" tab, enable "Ambient occlusion" in "Image" tab, ambient occlusion quality set to 3 (it is enough when there is no big flat surfaces), and select ambient occlusion colour map texture by "Select file paths" button (default "laghtmap.jpg" is good for this image).
- set resolution to 2 (in "Fractal tab") to get sharp shapes
- set direct light to 0.3 or 0.5 to make default light little darker
- set ambient occlusion intensity to 2 ("ambient occlusion" in "Shading effects")
- set colour of the main light to yellowish ("Lights" / "Main light source" / Colour)

I have attached to this post the settings file (generated in Mandelbulber 0.94) which I used to render this image. Please load this file as settings file. I had to rename this file form *.fract to *.txt, because I couldn't attach file with *.fract extension.

* recretaing.txt (6.78 KB - downloaded 153 times.)

Russ McClay
Explorer

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 04:13:48 AM »

Hi Buddhi --

I have attached to this post the settings file

I ran this settings file at 2400x2400.  Took 1/2 hour on my modest machine.  The result was astounding!

-r
sps
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 11:03:37 PM »

I have attached to this post the settings file (generated in Mandelbulber 0.94) which I used to render this image. Please load this file as settings file. I had to rename this file form *.fract to *.txt, because I couldn't attach file with *.fract extension.

Thanks a lot for this. Wonderful to have this and I will now start creating a really highres. version!!
Thanks again!!

/sps
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: