Logo by Fiery - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Did you know ? you can use LaTex inside Postings on fractalforums.com!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 28, 2024, 09:56:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Hello, again, for the first time  (Read 1743 times)
kon16ov
Conqueror

warep kon16ov
« on: October 09, 2010, 02:18:40 PM »

Greetings, all,

My name's Phil, and I've posted a couple of times, but haven't ever gotten to the whole introduction thing.  I guess I'm more of a dive into conversation rather than a "Hi, my name is" kind of guy, but it might be time to learn some social skills.  cheesy

I've been entranced by the beauty, science and math of the Mandelbrot set since ~1990 (when did Mandelblitz come out?) and loved using the aforementioned Mandelblitz, as well as TurboMandel to produce some really beautiful things.  I actually did my high school science fair project on the calculation of image size based on zoom depth.  I'm not sure people knew what to do with it, but I created the images in MandelMountains, which is a program I have yet to see really created for any system other than the Amiga.  Anyone know of a similar program out there?

At any rate, fast forward to now, and I spend the majority of my time running MandelBulber and MDZ natively under linux while running Mandlebulb3D and UltraFractal5 under Wine.  I am so impressed with how far the technology has come since I started and have fallen in love all over again.  I've started working on several series of still-image zoom sequences in MDZ and UF (the animation codecs in UF seem to have issues with Wine and don't produce actual animations, just 5-hour renders and 0-byte files...) and animations in Mandelbulb3D, which I like a lot.  I have yet to be able to do anything, animation-wise, with MandelBulber, and I think it's just user-error and not having messed with it enough.   In the interest of equal time, I *have* produced some beautiful (at least, to me) images with GnoFract4D, but get frustrated with it's lack of deep zooming ability.  Ah, well...

That's about it, really.  I don't really consider myself a fractal "artist," but rather an artist (I write for/play guitar, draw and am a photographer) who loves the chaos and beauty of unadulterated *math.* 

Two examples of anims follow, including my first anim in which I blorked the tween-frame count so it zooms quite a bit faster than I intended and, at full screen, tends to give me a bit of vertigo...

Peace,

Phil

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/hZUI5Rhez-0&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/hZUI5Rhez-0&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/LMNxsdHh_U8&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/LMNxsdHh_U8&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1</a>
David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 06:51:05 PM »

In UF under Wine try saving as a sequence of image files instead of straight to AVI, then use some decent video software to put them together (e.g. VirtualDub) - a lot of folks even do that running UF under native Windows.

The meaning and purpose of life is to give life purpose and meaning.

http://www.fractalgallery.co.uk/
"Makin' Magic Music" on Jango
kon16ov
Conqueror

warep kon16ov
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 04:06:00 PM »

You know...there is much wisdom in what you say and a bunch of "d'oh!" in what I was asking.  Since I already do that for Mandelbulb3D...I'm not sure why that logic didn't permeate my brain regarding UF.    I'll have to give that a whirl.  THIS is why we save our parameter files! 

KDEnLive is what I use as a video editor with the MBulb3D output with great success -- it's AVI and Mpeg output are stellar and it's gotten a couple of new plugins that allow for YouTube "direct" files in the 10000K and 20000K ranges.  Of course, now that YouTube doesn't whine when uploading large files (I've never hit the 2GB mark, yet...), it's very nice to not use the heavier compressions.  I do love VirtualDub, though.  I've used it for many years...haven't tried IT under Wine, though...
David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 10:15:58 PM »

I use VirtualDub and the Xvid codec in 2-pass mode.

The meaning and purpose of life is to give life purpose and meaning.

http://www.fractalgallery.co.uk/
"Makin' Magic Music" on Jango
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: