Logo by simon.snake - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Did you know ? you can use LaTex inside Postings on fractalforums.com!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 23, 2024, 09:36:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Hyperchaotic functions  (Read 1258 times)
Charleswehner
« on: December 11, 2006, 04:14:56 PM »

I described the dawn of Fractals elsewhere in these forums. Z to a linear power is too tame. Z to n to a constant (like n-squared or n-cubed) begins to show the properties of Fractals. Z to a constant to the n (like Z to the 2 to the n) delivers the classic Julia/Mandelbrot sets. Z to the factorial of n is much too fierce. (n is the palette number).

Here was my original factorial-exponentiation image:

I moved in closer:

Then closer still:

Then I picked up a vector for a Julia set. However, all I got was:

or

or the same in black, for example.

When I zoomed out, however, I got the FOOTPRINTS OF THE PINK PANTHER:

More clues for Clouseau. Nothing useful for Fractals, though.

Charles
« Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 02:35:51 PM by Charleswehner » Logged
gandreas
Explorer

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 09:30:04 PM »

More clues for Clouseau. Nothing useful for Fractals, though.
Not necessarily.

Have you tried adding a simple (complex) constant to each iteration of the expression to see how it behaves?

After all, if the constant in Z2 + C is zero, the julia set will be just a circle - tweaking C creates all sorts of magic.

Also, there are a wide variety of techniques such as traps (especially "off axis" traps, or rotating/moving traps) that can produce interesting images even if the basic image isn't all that interesting.

Finally, "hypercomplex" already has a specific meaning (which would encompass split-complex, dual numbers, quaternions, octernions, etc... - basically multidimensional numbers closed under addition and multiplication other than "plain" complex numbers), so technically, these aren't hypercomplex functions...
Charleswehner
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 02:42:10 PM »

Finally, "hypercomplex" already has a specific meaning .......

so technically, these aren't hypercomplex functions...

I was aware of this - and planned to correct the mistype. I have changed it to hyperchaotic functions. I have been examining the behaviour of functions with various degrees of "Chaoticness" (or "Chaoticity" or whatever). This function, with factorial growth is excessively chaotic.

I changed the Julia vector, and got a change from pink to yellow to black. I am fully aware that subtle changes to the vector may reveal something interesting. However, the factorial function is very reluctant to deliver any interesting Julia sets.

Charles
« Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 02:43:57 PM by Charleswehner » Logged
gandreas
Explorer

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006, 04:06:41 PM »

However, the factorial function is very reluctant to deliver any interesting Julia sets.

That's unfortunate - it really seems like there should be something cool in there...

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: