Logo by Trifox - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Support us via Flattr FLATTR Link

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 29, 2024, 11:53:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Fractal using law of GRAVITY  (Read 10604 times)
AllIsOne
« on: October 05, 2010, 01:39:18 PM »

Hi fractal lovers,

I am not sure if it is appropriate in this category because it is a simulation.

I made this fractal using a program of simulation of physics : Phun .

This fractal is simply generated using law of gravity!

How it is made :

I spaced at equal distance many hundred of littles circles.

I made all those circles attract each other, like if they where planets.

I putted a tracer on each of them to see where they passed.

Lunched the simulation and watch them groups together!

Try it yourself :

You can watch my video on YouTube on how I made it, steps by steps and see the fractal growing.
( full screen in HD is better to see details )

" <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/m4iz0rIKMdw&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/m4iz0rIKMdw&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1</a>"

Here you can download Phun.

http://www.phunland.com/wiki/Download

With this link you can try live this fractal in Phun

http://www.algodoo.com/algobox/profile.php?id=2866

I also putted this video in '' Let's collaborate on something!''

My wish is to see this fractal in 3D.

Instead to be only a 2D circle of little circles, it could be a sphere of spheres .

I hope to find here someone familiar with blender or maybe a other way of programing it.

Thank you for watching smiley
bib
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

At the borders...

100008697663777 @bib993
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 02:29:59 PM »

Hi. Funny video. However I'm not sure if it can be really qualified as a fractal in terms of processing, even if the final results lloks like a fractal. This is because a fractal is generally a process where you start from the "bottom", then do subdivisions (or iterations) to create the final structure. Here you are doing it the opposite way, meaning that you can't easily add as many iterations as you want, because you would have to manually position an exponentially growing number of circles. Anyway the idea is interesting.

Between order and disorder reigns a delicious moment. (Paul Valéry)
AllIsOne
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 06:34:19 PM »

I am not sure a fractal have to start from the bottom and increase in subdivisions.
For example, I believe the Mandelbrot set is all there at the same instant, but, because we can not calculate to infinity we have to limit the iterations.So in this case I don't think there is beginning or end to this fractal, or even the notion of subdivisions.
If you look how the DNA become a chromosome you can see it start in parts and become a whole.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/9kQpYdCnU14&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/9kQpYdCnU14&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1</a>

I can increase the iterations by increasing the number of initial circles.
In the video, you can see that it is very easy to add as much circle I want. They place themselves side by side.
I could also make a simple equation to place equally those circles at equal distances.

What I like in this ''fractal'' is that the notion of chaos is the base of it existence.
Without chaos or incertitude, all the circles would converge to the centre in a straight line.
But because we can not determine with a infinite precision the position of the object, one circle will be more attracted to the left or right, and follow a chain reaction!

« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 06:46:18 PM by AllIsOne » Logged
bib
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

At the borders...

100008697663777 @bib993
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 07:40:06 PM »

I like a lot your explanations, and the video you posted. Yes, fractals are everywhere!

BTW, Welcome to the forum! smiley

Between order and disorder reigns a delicious moment. (Paul Valéry)
jehovajah
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

May a trochoid in the void bring you peace

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 08:51:30 AM »

Very interesting, and of course there is no order to fractals in the sense of development. In my opinion they are the product of an iteration process. The perfect platonic forms are in this view special fractals, being limit surfaces or limit forms.

The natural plant forms are in exact reverse to the development of plant forms by cell division. This is because among other things natural fractals are a combination of internal and external iterations and boundary conditions.

The mandelbox is probably your best bet at getting a 3d version of this.

Yes welcome to the Forum

May a trochoid of ¥h¶h iteratively entrain your Logos Response transforming into iridescent fractals of orgasmic delight and joy, with kindness, peace and gratitude at all scales within your experience. I beg of you to enrich others as you have been enriched, in vorticose pulsations of extravagance!
AllIsOne
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 06:39:54 PM »

Thank you for the welcome, I am very happy to have found this forum! smiley

I don't know well Mandelbox, but I imagine more making this fractal in 3D with real time physics with a evolution in time instead of a instantaneous fractal with a complex formula. But it could also be very nice to find the simplest formula that could make the same shape that gravity make. But I imagine this could need a very good brain.

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 08:49:39 PM »

@allisone

to your signature,

ist it more like:

Life is fractal,
more you are zooming to find the object, the more it distracts into smaller ones,
so you find that the object is far more complex than you thought...

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
AllIsOne
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2010, 02:00:06 PM »

Hi Trifox,

maybe we could argue on my signature in the topic I created recently :

Real World Examples & Fractical Applications - Philosophy - Buddhism, science and fractals

It is my answer to you affirmation.

Azn
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 02:30:51 PM by AllIsOne » Logged
Tglad
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2010, 03:07:28 AM »

AllIsOne, what a great find, and it is a fractal in my books, really cool. It reminds me of diffusion limited aggregation a bit (should find on google). If you know any programming then evalDraw is a quick way to program such a gravity system.
I think you could also get a tree if the points started at random positions. It makes me think how the creation of the earth must have been a tree... lots of tiny bits of dust into bigger stones, then these collecting into rocks etc...
twinbee
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2010, 04:53:14 PM »

Ace stuff, combining physics and fractals!

I wonder if most fractals in nature do this kind of "backwards fractal" thing too - it seems a lot simpler in many respects even though I haven't really ever seen it before!
Prokofiev
Safarist

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2010, 11:45:20 AM »

Interesting idea and nice fractal tree !
The process looks like Diffusion Limited Aggregation (DLA) but not quite:
- It is not simple diffusion but attraction
- objects aggregate into clusters and clusters aggregate into bigger clusters, iteratively. 

Now you should try this :
Give some diameter to your objects and place them at random, wait until they all aggregate into one cluster. That cluster is fractal and its dimension should be around 1.4 (Cf B. Sapoval)

Sincerely,
Alexis
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: