Logo by mauxuam - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Support us via Flattr FLATTR Link

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 23, 2024, 04:43:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: 3d complex triplex absolute modifications (correct 2d M-set cross-sections)  (Read 1489 times)
M Benesi
Fractal Schemer

« on: September 25, 2010, 03:31:31 AM »

So for this series, I was pondering the fact that we don't carry the signs of the magnitude for the imaginary component of the first part of the complex triplex:
complex_1 = x + sqrt ( y^2 + z^2) i  <---- no sign

Now, this really doesn't effect the calculations of the 2d set, as can be seen visually (2d Mandelbrot is reflected over the x axis) or mathematically (I wrote a maxima formula to check the variations).  However, for the 3d set we end up with a variation when the y pixel component changes sign (for all even z^n: n= 2,4,6,8..... a positive y pixel component yields a different magnitude result from a negative y pixel component).

So this got me thinking (again) about ways to correct the issue (absolute value anyone?), but I'd already done the absolute value of the pixel components and made a "corrected" 3d Mandelbrot (that was adequately detailed for z^2), so I decided to experiment with taking the absolute value of specific components (a lot like the Burning Ship fractal).

I ended up making several interesting discoveries, including the fact that the regular 3d complex triplex gains TONS of details when you correctly apply +/- and absolute values to the various components.  Many absolute value/sign combinations are discontinuous, only certain ones work (the hints in my new formula set (under complex compound corrected version) tell you the main combos of values/signs that I found to be continuous).  

Anyways, here are a few of the images I made recently.... I didn't even include the 7th order zoom series, which shows some really cool details...

4th order:

5th order:

5th order:

6th order:

6th order

8th order (full size here)

8th order, bluffs near the tower:

8th order spinners (full size here):

2nd order straight on large (view full size here):
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 03:37:20 AM by M Benesi » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print