Logo by Dinkydau - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Support us via Flattr FLATTR Link

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 19, 2024, 01:47:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: UltraFractal running on my New PC  (Read 2976 times)
Description: I'm pushing its processing power, 6 CPUs, 3.2GHz
Thunderwave
« on: September 17, 2010, 12:06:18 AM »

I wanted to test to see how fast this render using a zoom at, -0.007161~, 0.8, magnified to 4.653034E16 would take in my new pc.  I made 7 layers of this zoom and am overlaying them with color changes and different levels of the zoom deeper(then the numbers mentioned) closely skewed from each other.

It's used 6 CPUs to preview it; it's now using 5 CPUs to render it at 150 - 161 pixels per second, highest resolution to be 2048 x 1536.  It says it will take about 5 hours.  I downloaded the trial version so the image will have a watermark.
I'm only testing this anyways to see how it will look.  I'll post it when it's done, as for now, here's screen capture to show what it will look like.

Next I will test Mandelbulb movies and see if it takes about as long as it may take what I have heard here.

Wonder, can you buy a GPU separately or does it have to be installed on the motherboard?  There was no GPU offered with my choices to make the PC from scratch.
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 12:30:42 AM »

Wonder, can you buy a GPU separately or does it have to be installed on the motherboard?  There was no GPU offered with my choices to make the PC from scratch.

I thought a gpu was on the video card.

But I am shamefully ignorant of all this high-end stuff!

Hopefully somebody knowledgeable will come along and confirm or deny my claim...

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
Thunderwave
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 01:24:26 AM »

I'm not that up-to-date either.  I just barely upgrade to a new PC from 4 years on a mac laptop, with no cards to upgrade.
Anyways, I'll just research it when I have the money for that.
M Benesi
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 05:56:10 AM »

Upgrading depends on whether you have a Laptop or a Desktop.

Some laptop manufacturers have crappy warranties that you can void by installing stuff yourself.  Also, unless the laptop has room for a video card inside of it, you might be slightly screwed.

If you have a desktop, check to see how many free slots you have (on your motherboard) and what kind they are.  You can probably just throw a video card in it, although I'd recommend having a tech savvy friend available in case you have questions/problems.  Whatever you do, be careful, and follow the instructions precisely (unless you're familiar with the various procedures, in which case, throw the instructions away and do it your way).

Thunderwave
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 06:43:09 AM »

M Benesi, I have a tower and it does have seemingly two slots available, but I fear to open them and ruin my pc.

____
So it took an hour and 15 minutes longer.  It sure is faster then my current computer though....

Here's the image.
M Benesi
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 07:21:43 AM »

Hrmm.. Well, if you don't feel comfortable doing it.  I've built systems, upgraded them, etc.  It's almost as simple as putting a cartridge into a 2600... with a few more steps.  Anyways, if you've got a tech savvy friend, you should have them over for coffee, or if you both drink, some Scotch on da' rox (LaPhroaig 10 year is better than the 18... and my current favorite, except maybe the dew is pretty nice itself).  They could throw in a video card for you to experiment with (if you want to do so).

bib
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

At the borders...

100008697663777 @bib993
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 10:15:06 AM »

magnified to 4.653034E16

I think this is just above the UF deep zoom threshold. You might want to decrease that a little and it will run much faster.

Between order and disorder reigns a delicious moment. (Paul Valéry)
visual.bermarte
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 04:40:59 PM »

'Wonder, can you buy a GPU separately or does it have to be installed on the motherboard?  There was no GPU offered with my choices to make the PC from scratch'
there's no problem (unless you have a laptop): you can buy and install  Nvidia or ATI GPU..you just need the drivers for your OS; turn off your pc, remove your video card and install the new one: you can learn how to do it because it's (usually) simple.
With (relative) old macs could be tricky and expensive doing an upgrade of the GPU..there are major incompatibilities with OSs pre 10.6..usually mac people can buy a GPU made for windows and flash it because pc's GPUs are cheaper.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 04:42:53 PM by visual, Reason: lapsus » Logged
Thunderwave
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 06:00:09 PM »

I think this is just above the UF deep zoom threshold. You might want to decrease that a little and it will run much faster.

Really?  If UF can't handle Deep Zooms then I don't want to purchase this program.
bib
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

At the borders...

100008697663777 @bib993
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 06:10:32 PM »

Oh yes it does, but it's just damn slooow

Between order and disorder reigns a delicious moment. (Paul Valéry)
klixon
Navigator

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2010, 07:57:25 PM »

if you want to do "extreme" deep zooms, fractal extreme might be more to your liking.

It has a lot less versatility, but it have some highly efficient deepzoom capabilities.

In conclusion:
ultra fractal == slower, but way more options, and more easily extendible
fractal extreme == a lot less options, but way faster

Visit me on vimeo
Thunderwave
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2010, 08:45:01 PM »

Oh yes it does, but it's just damn slooow

Ah, good to know.

In conclusion:
ultra fractal == slower, but way more options, and more easily extendible
fractal extreme == a lot less options, but way faster

Ah, yes I forgot about that program.  I should try it out next.
Saquedon
Conqueror

saquedon Saquedon saquedon
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2010, 10:37:41 PM »

I would not recommend Fractal Extreme, Ultra Fractal is the Photoshop of fractal software,

if you want something for free try http://www.chaospro.de/ which coems close to Ultra Fractal

And FYI 7 layers of fractals means you are calculating 7 seperate fractals,
so divide the calculation time by 7 to compare it to other single layer programs.

Thunderwave
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2010, 06:50:37 AM »

I would not recommend Fractal Extreme, Ultra Fractal is the Photoshop of fractal software,

if you want something for free try http://www.chaospro.de/ which coems close to Ultra Fractal

And FYI 7 layers of fractals means you are calculating 7 seperate fractals,
so divide the calculation time by 7 to compare it to other single layer programs.

I think I have Chaospro somewhere....  I will look for it.

I did consider the 7 layers,  I am glad you brought that up.  The GPU I want is too expensive and I think my PC is running good enough for now. (Knock on wood) [knocks on head]  hurt
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: