Logo by bib - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit us on facebook

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 28, 2024, 09:24:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Measuring magnification depth in MDZ  (Read 4534 times)
kon16ov
Conqueror

warep kon16ov
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2010, 05:53:46 AM »

@Thunderwave:

I am sorry to hear that Ubuntu isn't playing nicely.  I can't say that I've dealt much w/RAID - umpteen drives, yes.  RAID, no.  And I hear you about work...I ended up waxing Win7 in favor of LinuxMint and putting Win7 in a VM since .Net 2.0 and WINE aren't exactly on speaking terms, yet, and there was code to write (but it's hard to write code when your system, despite 2 antivir packages and 2 malware "killers," goes down in a ball of "you can't run any executables" flames).  You might be able to do the opposite, for the time being, with Ubuntu in a VM.  And I am pleased that Fractal eXtreme runs with WINE, too.  Although, it does raise a philosophical question: can one have too many fractal generation programs?  Probably not...right?  grin

Hopefully, your next go-'round will give better results.
jwm-art
Iterator

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2010, 06:46:07 PM »

Going back on topic, so it's agreed that the result of
Code:
abs(xmax - xmin)
is the zoom factor?

I've started work on the version 0.0.7 of MDZ and hopefully the new release will include the possibility to view the coordinates and zoom factor - but I'm yet to implement that yet. Currently working on some stuff with settings loading/saving so the user can choose which parts of a settings file to load (for example to only the colour-palette without clobbering the current fractal settings).

kon16ov
Conqueror

warep kon16ov
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2010, 05:09:58 AM »

Sounds very cool -- looking forward to it.  I like the idea of palette loading separate from the current fractal.  Now would that include "speed" and cycle "locations," as well?
Thunderwave
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2010, 06:10:27 AM »

Hi jwm-art!

I had Ubuntu installed and downloaded MDZ, but I was unable to install it and also my Ubuntu failed due to partition magic and windows, so I lost Ubuntu, but I am close to getting it back.

How can I install MDZ, and what libraries are needed to install it and is there a tutorial somewhere on how to install using command lines?  I have looked but they are so beyond me.  I need a step by step tutorial.  
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 07:34:36 AM by Thunderwave, Reason: grammar » Logged
jwm-art
Iterator

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2010, 09:40:45 AM »

Sounds very cool -- looking forward to it.  I like the idea of palette loading separate from the current fractal.  Now would that include "speed" and cycle "locations," as well?

Currently, it does save the "speed" which in MDZ parlance is "colour-scaling".

Cycle locations are not saved... in that no offset or anything remotely pertaining to such is stored. In other words, you cycle the palette you change the palette. A cycled palette is a different file to an non-cycled palette (unless the cycled palette has been cycled exactly full circle).

BTW, MDZ saves palette data in the same format as Fractint's colour maps. For example MDZ saves the palette data like so:

Code:
palette
data
 50 159 247
 49 164 230
 48 170 213

All you need do is load the MDZ file into a text editor and copy and paste the palette data into another file - just make sure to remove the first two lines (ie the palette and data lines).

HTH,
James.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 09:45:35 AM by jwm-art » Logged
jwm-art
Iterator

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2010, 09:55:10 AM »

Hi jwm-art!

I had Ubuntu installed and downloaded MDZ, but I was unable to install it and also my Ubuntu failed due to partition magic and windows, so I lost Ubuntu, but I am close to getting it back.

How can I install MDZ, and what libraries are needed to install it and is there a tutorial somewhere on how to install using command lines?  I have looked but they are so beyond me.  I need a step by step tutorial.  

The development libs you'll need are:
libpng, mpfr, and the gtk2 development files (the development packages have -dev on the end of their names).

If you're new to Linux and the command line, instead of using apt-get, you might try aptitude (I know Debian has it, not sure about Ubuntu) which I learnt before installing packages from the command line. Remember to sudo aptitude to get permission to install stuff. Within aptitude use / to search for a package, n to find the next search result, + to mark a package for install, and g to go to install the packages, then g again to confirm (after checking the dependencies and suggestions ;-)

Once you have MDZ downloaded.

Code:
tar -xf mdz-0.0.6.tar.bz2
cd mdz-0.0.6/src/
make

Don't worry if the build fails here it's likely a dependency is not installed. Take note of the errors - scroll through all the spurious crap and try to find no-such-file-or-directory errors. Take a note of the missing file/path so that you can try and search for something within aptitude which looks likely to provide it (or do a google search for the error). Failing that, just let me know the problem and I'll try and help :-)

Finally once it's built without errors (warnings are ok):

Code:
sudo make install

And it's good to go.
Thunderwave
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2010, 09:23:47 PM »

I will make a new topic under linux software.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: