Logo by Sockratease - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Did you know ? you can use LaTex inside Postings on fractalforums.com!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 28, 2024, 08:04:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Another Newbie here...  (Read 1591 times)
Dave
« on: September 11, 2010, 12:26:03 AM »

Hi All,

I'm pretty much a newbie when it comes to playing with fractals. I think they are fascinating and beautiful, and I have played with them a bit with FractInt (years ago), but I am more of a dabbler than a guru, unlike many of the posters whom I have read on this site.
I did read Chaos: Making a New Science by James Gelick a few years back but that is the limit of my mathematical knowledge on the subject.
One thing that I would like to do is to learn to create fractal landscapes and planets. It sounds like this might be an involved process using several programs in series, but I would welcome any input on what first baby steps to take down this path.

Thanks for a great forum!

Dave
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 02:37:09 PM »

Hello and Welcome to the forums!

What do you mean by Fractal Landscapes?

I often use "obj files" of fractals in 3D Programs to create landscape features, and sometimes composite 2D Images into them to create stuff, but don't know many ways to create them directly  (some 3D Programs, like Carrara, offer "terrain primitives" which can be adjusted with parameters very much like fractals - Perlin Noise being the most common).

What is your final goal with these?  Static Images?  Animations?  3D Models for games?

All are possible, and all can be achieved by many different routes.

I'm sure you'll find the help you want here!

Feel free to post some of your images (even those older FractInt ones!) in the Gallery, or to ask any questions you may have   afro

I look forward to seeing some of your work.

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
Dave
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 05:02:05 PM »

Hi Sockratease,
Thanks for your response and thanks for making me feel welcome in the forum. grin
I guess my overall goal is to create some static images just for my own interest. I am playing around with the idea of writing some fiction stories just for the fun of it, and I would like to be able to create some planets as seen from space and then some landscapes on the planet itself as seen closer up. I have experimented with Fractal Mapper and Fractal World Explorer. they let you design fractal continents, but only in outline without any cool 3D landscape features such as mountain ranges. sad
Some of the gallery images that I have seen thus far on this forum are absolutely stunning. The mandelbulb and box images in particular seem pretty 'world like'. And I seem to recall seeing some cool planets as well.
Anyway, fractals are cool all by themselves, and not just as a story aid. And as you said, it looks like there is a whole world of insight that I can get from participating in this forum. I think it'll be a lot of fun. I'm looking forward to it.
Thanks
Dave
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 05:23:13 PM »

For just static images, I'd suggest ChaosPro as a free and highly versatile starting program  ( http://www.chaospro.de ).

Here's one I did in FractalWorks  (a Mac Only Fractal Generator created by Duncan C - Another member here):

Then I took it into Particle Illusion and made an Alien Sky to go with it!

So while there are only a few programs that cam make a finished scene all by themselves, many programs working together can make interesting results   evil

Just keep playing until you find the software you get along with  (not all programs "feel right" to all people - it can be very subjective selecting the best software for you to get what you want!), and then start Creating.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 06:59:38 PM »

hello and welcome to the forums, landscape generating is an iunteresting point recently,
i think we will make up a new board in the theory section for discussing various methods, as a starter try perlin noise cheesy after that there are many possibilities to enhance the appearance of your land....

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
Dave
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 11:23:26 PM »

@sockratease,

Your landscape and sky are most impressive! This is just the sort of thing I am wanting to explore.
Thanks for recommending ChaosPro, I actually downloaded it several days ago. I appreciate the reassurance that the program is a good path to check out. I see that the author of the program has a very complimentary view of the intelligence of his users since he feels that we can pick up most of what we need 'intuitively' wink. The program has a really nice GUI as opposed to the text interface of FractInt, but I'm not fully convinced that any user interface is as intuitive as we might like to think. In particular, I am finding it challenging to learn how to map a fractal to the surface of a sphere in ChaosPro. I know it can be done. It is just that ChaosPro appears to be an extremely versatile and capable program, with a degree of complexity of input parameters to match. Oh well, I like the learning process as well as the final result. Looks like fun cheesy.

@Trifox,

Wow, a fractal landscape board would be wonderful.
Thanks for the perlin noise tip, I will check it out. wink

Thanks to both of you for pointing this newbie in the right direction!

Dave
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 11:48:05 PM »

I've been using ChaosPro for years and never thought to map a fractal to a sphere in that program!

If I wanted to do that, I'd use a 3D Program (I use Carrara - free alternatives include everything from Blender to Daz 3D Studio) and use a fractal image as a texture map.

Then I could spin the sphere in animation, as well as deform it as I pleased.

In ChaosPro there is an "open GL" option in the 3D section.

That will allow you to map a fractal to the inside of a sphere, with the 3D fractal in the center!

Like this:

You can even map images to the surface of a fractal, like this:

http://s106.photobucket.com/albums/m278/sockratease/?action=view&current=yup.mp4

So yeah, the possibilities really are Infinite!

Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

nahee_enterprises Nahee.Enterprises NaheeEnterprise
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 12:34:36 AM »

Hi All,  I'm pretty much a newbie when it comes to playing with fractals.
    I think they are fascinating and beautiful, and I have played with them a
    bit with FractInt.....

Greetings, and Welcome to this particular Forum !!!    smiley

Yes, the majority of people that have had experience with fractals over the years usually has tried and/or used FractInt (or one of its spin-off versions).

One thing that I would like to do is to learn to create fractal landscapes and planets.

There have been many ways to accomplish this, using various fractal generators.  One of the better ones is Fractal Explorer, with the Fractal Landscape add-on.  I also used to like taking a fractal image into Bryce to create terrains, using height mapping.  Another tool would be something like Terragen.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 03:33:32 AM by Nahee_Enterprises » Logged

Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

nahee_enterprises Nahee.Enterprises NaheeEnterprise
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 12:42:01 AM »

.....for recommending ChaosPro, I actually downloaded it several days ago.
    I appreciate the reassurance that the program is a good path to check out.

Yes, ChaosPro is definitely one of the top ten fractal generators one should spend time trying out!!!   smiley

.....I'm not fully convinced that any user interface is as intuitive as we
    might like to think.  In particular, I am finding it challenging to learn how
    to map a fractal to the surface of a sphere in ChaosPro.

After you have played with a few hundred fractal programs (there are over 600 available), one tends to develop a knack for understanding the various interfaces that each programmer comes up with.  Some get a bit crazy at times.   crazy

« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 03:34:37 AM by Nahee_Enterprises » Logged

Dave
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2010, 03:08:19 AM »

Paul,

Thanks so much for the great tips. I appreciate the encouragement about ChaosPro and I will see about checking out Fractal Explorer.

Thanks.

Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: