Logo by Maya - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Follow us on Twitter

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 19, 2024, 05:42:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: hi i am a unconventional fractal artist  (Read 1879 times)
Description: hi
matty686
Conqueror

open-source rocks

« on: September 09, 2010, 02:10:22 AM »

i specialize in fractal collage made by copying and pasting rotating and scaling on inkscape many people have told me they are not fractals

but fractals can be hand iterated why not

* hydro bug.png (139.56 KB, 400x325 - viewed 344 times.)

open-source rocks
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 10:11:01 AM »

Hello and welcome to the forum!

"Fractal" is kind of difficult to define precisely in such a way that it will cover all possible situations.

But I enjoy stretching those definitions - and often ignoring them completely, so I don't concern myself with whether a certain image is "Fractal" or not, and just try to see these things as Art.

I've seen "Hand Drawn Fractals" here, so why not this kind too?

Have fun with it, and enjoy the forum  afro

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
matty686
Conqueror

open-source rocks

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 03:39:56 PM »

smiley

open-source rocks
lkmitch
Fractal Lover

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 05:48:44 PM »

The first academic fractals were hand-drawn, so that's not an issue.  Besides, we that let the computer do the iterating use so many different types of formulas that much of what we do probably wouldn't pass a strict mathematical definition of a fractal, either.  I say, welcome, and do what you like, irrespective of what others may call it.
matty686
Conqueror

open-source rocks

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 07:53:09 PM »

this place is a keeper i am staying cheesy

open-source rocks
Thunderwave
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 11:11:27 PM »

Hey Matty,

I tried to message you on dA but your account was deleted.  Welcome here.  I have a lot to post here yet.  My hand drawn fractals are here in my gallery among others.  I liked you sites and wanted to thank you for the links. smiley
Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

nahee_enterprises Nahee.Enterprises NaheeEnterprise
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 11:02:56 PM »

i specialize in fractal collage made by copying and pasting rotating and
    scaling on inkscape many people have told me they are not fractals
    but fractals can be hand iterated why not

Greetings, and Welcome to this particular Forum !!!    smiley

I agree that the basic idea of fractals can be drawn by hand, and definitely agree with what Kerry said:
    ....so many different types of formulas that much of what we do
    probably wouldn't pass a strict mathematical definition of a fractal....

But as to everybody that wishes to make up their own definition of the term "fractal", that has gotten way out of control.  Seems like everybody and their dog thinks they can call just about any image as "fractal" and get away with it.

I would rather stick with a definition closer to what Benoît B. Mandelbrot intentionally meant when he coined the word years ago.

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 11:08:15 PM »

ehrm, strictly speaking is nearly everything around in real life of a fractal structure ( e.g. coastlines, or a knitted paper )
this means that it has a broken dimension, euclidian geometry only exists in our brains, so, if you have a procedure for
creating an image, that has a broken dimension, i would also declare it as fractal, but it would be hard to prove...

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
matty686
Conqueror

open-source rocks

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 10:08:16 PM »

when I was younger I saw all these cool things that looked like tie-died and snails and crystals on the web. I also saw them in nature as well. when I found out there was a word for them I looked them up and decided to try to hand draw them but I like computers. and I was like so if I can make pretty cool ones by hand imagine what I could do with a computer  (still as a graphic artist not a mathematician) so I made a recursive form of collage art and called it fractal collage.   and the types of fractals I called free transform fractals because I use the free transform tool to make them  not a computer formula as I said they are a natural fractal (after all humans are part of nature) they are not 100% fractal neither are they 0% fractal. I leave there fractal dimension to the mathematicians to judge. I am an artist and thats all I ever want to be.     

* frosted cake.png (236.76 KB, 500x474 - viewed 271 times.)

open-source rocks
matty686
Conqueror

open-source rocks

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2010, 11:35:32 PM »

sometimes I combine mathematical fractals into my handmade ones thats fun but i don't think I understand enough math to make the fractals do what I want my brain is more of a geometric brain (euclidean geometry) than an algebraic one I think in angles rotations an visualizations not numbers and formulas so i made an art form to fit me that involved fractals but still made sense to me       

open-source rocks
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: