Logo by AGUS - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit the official fractalforums.com Youtube Channel

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 25, 2024, 07:18:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: File Formats  (Read 2594 times)
Description: ??
Jameses
« on: September 05, 2010, 02:14:48 PM »

I want to upload images to an art site, thing is they dont support .bmp (which most of my renders are). What would be the next best? and is .jpg ok for high quality images for printing? I have noticed some weird smears that happen over some areas of gradients they change very little over a significant distance with .jpg
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 02:23:14 PM »

png is lossless and web standard.

For printing, tiff and tga are common.

I use png for mostly everything.   afro

I find that bmp format is not good for anything except importing into programs that don't accept png!  The file sizes are just too big when converting to png saves so much space and is lossless compression.

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
kram1032
Fractal Senior

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 06:48:02 PM »

What Sockratease said and: bmps are horrible: Not compressed at all and thus huge.

Just for web-uploads, jpeg with fairly high settings works great too. You can even save lossless jpeg (quality=100%), however, that then is less efficient than png. So if you want perfect quality without any informational loss, use png, but if you can live with barely noticable visual quality loss, take jpg at ~90-80% quality. jpeg's image size shrinks rapidly and those settings work fine enough. smiley
Jameses
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 09:18:27 PM »

thanks.
Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

nahee_enterprises Nahee.Enterprises NaheeEnterprise
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 04:07:53 AM »

I want to upload images to an art site, thing is they dont support .bmp
    (which most of my renders are).  What would be the next best?

Since you posted this under the UF sub-board under Windows Software, I assume that you are rendering with UF.  I am curious as to why you exported the images from UF in the .BMP format??  Especially with all of the other file formats which are available:
  • .PNG
  • .TGA
  • .TIF
  • .JPG
  • .PSD

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: