Logo by DsyneGrafix - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit us on facebook

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 19, 2024, 04:11:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Harmonic Ratios with Processing  (Read 1949 times)
Description: My previous project from a distant thread of mine
Thunderwave
« on: August 19, 2010, 01:55:15 AM »

I have been working hard on this idea of mine that went from losing decimal point places to harmonic ratios.

I plan to have a gui interface for all to play with in time.

It's an IFS process, z = z*a*(b+c),
C is an incremental value and A is a chosen ratio.
X and Y run this function exactly the same so it becomes linear only if the values are the same and are increased at the same rate.  Intriguing things happen when the values are different.

I made a bunch of examples using harmonic ratios, 1/1, 1/2, 2/3, 4/5, etc.  These are ratios used in most musical scales but inverted as opposed to 1/1, 1/2, 1/3, 1/4.  Think of it as frequencies(Hz), 1/1 = 440 (A), 1/2 = 220 (Low A), 2/3 (D), 4/5 (F), a minor chord in second inversion.  The catch is that the dimensions are also effecting the ratios as well as the speed at which X and Y phase in and out of each others harmonies while each equation increases by a variable.  Color also has to be defined to show the real battle of harmony.  The fractal aspect of this is when the images show similar aspects at many levels.  Not all values will show this aspect.   There's also a catch all aspect: how many iterations of the equation happens before each X and Y increase to the Next X and Y.  This magically makes extreme differences.  Wish I had more time to map out why.

Still, it's been fun.

If anyone wants to try processing and give advice on how to make it better, please do.  i.e.  I'm new to this; images are very rigid; lines run through them (I think I know why); coloring is not easy for me to manage; what would happen if it got turned into a complex plane; how to map out one pixel at a time without layering over them with a new pixel; what if it could do your laundry and clean your dishes?; etc...

The choices for, ratio, speed, dimensions and colors will be hopefully available for user input.  I'm new to all this and not many people have time to help out or understand the project.

It was originally for music but I have decided to make it available for artwork as well.   "Processing" is an open source program to write visual java applications. 

Code:
/////////////////////////////////////////////////
// Creative Commons Licensing                  //
// Nick Carlson                                //
// arcana23@yahoo.com                          //
// Please give me credit when you use this.    //
// ******************************************* //
// A project based on harmonic ratios.         //
// z = z * ratio * i++                         //
// where i is a very small number.             //
// include ratio of width and heighth.         //
// include ratio of increase between x and y.  //
//             ----------------                //
// Ratio Flux Version 0.2.07 b                 //
/////////////////////////////////////////////////

double x = 0.1; //x=x*xa*(xb+xbcount)
double xa = 0.49;
double xb = 0.0;
double xbcount = 0.00001;

double y = 0.1;  //y=y*ya*(yb+ybcount)
double ya = 0.5;
double yb = 0.0;
double ybcount = 0.00002;

int z = 576;  //while(i <= area){while(j < z){do equations}}
int xwin = 576;
int ywin = 576;
int area = xwin * ywin;
int xint = 0; //whole number integer x
int yint = 0; //whole number integer y

void setup()
{
  size(xwin, ywin, P2D);
  background(255);
  loadPixels();
  noLoop();
}

void draw()
{
  int i = 0;
  while (i <= area)
  {   
    int j = 0;
    while (j < z)
    {
      x = x * xa;
      x = x * xb;
      x = x * 100; //create a whole number integer
      xint = (int) x;
      xint = xint%xwin;

y = y * ya;
      y = y * yb;
      y = y * 100;
      yint = (int) y;
      yint = yint%ywin;

pixels[yint*width+xint] = color(j % 255, j*2 % 255, j*4 % 255);

y = y * 0.1; //lose decimal points
      if((y > ywin) || (y <= 0.))
      {
        y = 0.1; //start over
      }

x = x * 0.1;
      if((x > xwin) || (x <= 0.))
      {
        x = 0.1;
      }

xb = xb + xbcount;
      yb = yb + ybcount;

j++;
    }

i++;
  }   

updatePixels();
}
Thunderwave
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 02:01:01 AM »

This one has intriguing layering effects and overlapping.
Tglad
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 03:18:19 AM »

These are moire patterns. A type of interference pattern. If you do a google image search for this you will see that they crop up all over the place. Typical example is when a tv loses its horizontal synch. You can also see it when two gratings overlap.
jehovajah
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

May a trochoid in the void bring you peace

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 09:28:56 AM »

Moire or not they are of interest, particularly if the research on them is extensive.

Crop up all over the place? Hmm... Do they appear in crop circles as a point of interest?

The ratios are of great interest as they give some insight into the structure of aggregate numbering systems and their relationship to their progenitor: Ratios of proportions.

As you may know the foundational notion of the set FS is now the Logos Response which gives rise to these rationic fields as data sets. How we interpret them through our processing systems give rise to our 3d experience of the set notFS.

This is cool and inspiring work.

Note this cd effect when reviewing the nature of light, for example.

The musical rhythm you are after should also be made apparent.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 09:46:52 AM by jehovajah » Logged

May a trochoid of ¥h¶h iteratively entrain your Logos Response transforming into iridescent fractals of orgasmic delight and joy, with kindness, peace and gratitude at all scales within your experience. I beg of you to enrich others as you have been enriched, in vorticose pulsations of extravagance!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: