Logo by Fiery - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit us on facebook

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 29, 2024, 01:26:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Point cloud rendering  (Read 3744 times)
mistabell
Forums Newbie

« on: July 14, 2010, 09:09:27 AM »

Hey guys!  I just recently started playing around with fractals and joined the forum yesterday.

Over the past week or so I've done a bunch of the mandelbrot / julia variations and other 2d fractals.  Now I'm trying my hand at 3d.

I wrote a script that generates a list of vertex points for the mandelbulb, generated a few million points, then looked up how to render point clouds on Google.  I found 3 or 4 apps that are made for 3d laser scans or CAD that have functions to turn a point cloud into a mesh, but none of them really worked (horribly jagged / weird 3d shapes.)  I think the problem is that the apps assume the data will be from a 3d scanner with only the outer surface of the object, whereas I have a cubic grid with binary points that fill in the object.

Maybe I need to rethink the way I'm rendering it?  Is it possible to only render the outer points of the shape?

Or, does anyone know of an app that will put a sphere at each of my points, such that if a cluster of points are near each other I get a nice round blobby thing?

Here's what the points look like:
cbuchner1
Fractal Phenom

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 06:38:50 PM »

Maybe I need to rethink the way I'm rendering it?  Is it possible to only render the outer points of the shape?

RAYMARCH from the outside towards the object using distance estimation. If you pick a large number of rays randomly intersecting a sphere of radius 2 around the origin, you should be able to get a point cloud similar to what a laser scanner would produce.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 07:16:01 PM by cbuchner1 » Logged
Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

nahee_enterprises Nahee.Enterprises NaheeEnterprise
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 11:39:39 PM »

Hey guys!  I just recently started playing around with fractals and joined the forum yesterday.
    Over the past week or so I've done a bunch of the mandelbrot / julia variations and
    other 2d fractals.  Now I'm trying my hand at 3d. 

Greetings, and Welcome to this particular Forum !!!    smiley

It appears you are off to a very good start, based upon what you have already posted.  There is always something new to learn, and this Forum has much to offer.  Good luck with it all.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: