Logo by Transdimensional - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Follow us on Twitter

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 26, 2024, 12:10:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Hello - A simple fractal first post  (Read 13121 times)
Description: A deviantArt frustrated member
David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2010, 12:46:16 AM »

I sure hope I didn't promote resigning, Klixon. sad

Dont worry, mate... My actions are my own. I just find that whole article a disgrace.
Fractals are not defined by the software with which they're created.

I see a point in David's comment about categorizing, but the way it is discussed disgusts me.

You shouldn't judge DA by the DA staff or the rather more vocal members, there's actually a very good fractal community there.
Anyway if you want another alternative then Renderosity also has a good fractal membership.

The meaning and purpose of life is to give life purpose and meaning.

http://www.fractalgallery.co.uk/
"Makin' Magic Music" on Jango
klixon
Navigator

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2010, 12:50:30 AM »

You shouldn't judge DA by the DA staff or the rather more vocal members, there's actually a very good fractal community there.
Anyway if you want another alternative then Renderosity also has a good fractal membership.
Have you read the article and comments? (seriously!)
Thanks for the tip on renderosity, i will check it out. wink

Visit me on vimeo
teamfresh
Fractal Lover

nothing is everything

fractalco
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2010, 12:54:15 AM »

What, like here maybe?

Don't be absurd! All these creative minds are a menace to society. The FBI will be on me in minutes  scared white

PS (I'm in the final stage of finally rendering a zoom into the mandelbrot set. I still have to find legal and decent music to acompany it, though, so dont hold yer breath just yet lol)

Join up to http://vimeo.com and do a shout out in the forums - specifically the "wanted and offered" forum!!! Its a hot melting pot of artists collaborating together - I get free music from there all the time there is some real talent there!! afro

http://vimeo.com/forum:wanted_and_offered

Thunderwave
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2010, 01:20:35 AM »

Join up to http://vimeo.com and do a shout out in the forums - specifically the "wanted and offered" forum!!! Its a hot melting pot of artists collaborating together - I get free music from there all the time there is some real talent there!! afro

An unexpected thank you from me for this link.  I write music and would love people to use it in movies and stuff.  Thanks.

P.S. I agree with both David and Klixon!  smiley
The article is a disgrace but is not the thoughts of all DA staff, especially since most there probably don't know or have the time to monitor all moderators.

I also plan to check out renderosity.  I've heard of them.
teamfresh
Fractal Lover

nothing is everything

fractalco
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2010, 01:27:15 AM »

ahh - I do love it when a plan comes together - collaborations a plenty.... grin grin grin

iteron
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2010, 02:24:43 AM »

Definitions of fractals don't mention anything about computers or algorithms they usually have more to do with statements involving geometric measure theory and self similar sets.

Your fractal was generated through applying the same force repeatedly (not the same mathematical function as the computer fractals), that is your hand drawing the fractal.

That is the only difference I really see as far as generating a fractal.

Computer fractals aren't iterated infinitely (only if you had infinite time could you have infinite subdivision), just as your fractal doesn't have infinite detail.

It seems as if they're merely categorizing art works between those created by traditional methods and those created digitally.

It's a valid distinction in categorizing art but not about defining what a fractal is or whether the object is fractal art.
klixon
Navigator

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2010, 02:29:58 AM »

Thanks! Will check it out soon

True. I'll probably be reading/viewing works from others there. But the smugness in the article and comments is something I just can't stand. Do not want...

An unexpected thank you from me for this link.  I write music and would love people to use it in movies and stuff.  Thanks.

P.S. I agree with both David and Klixon!  smiley
The article is a disgrace but is not the thoughts of all DA staff, especially since most there probably don't know or have the time to monitor all moderators.

I also plan to check out renderosity.  I've heard of them.

Interesting... I'll be checking out your site tomorrow. Always nice to hear new music, and hopefully it fits well with my zoom smiley

Visit me on vimeo
Thunderwave
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2010, 02:35:10 AM »

Thanks Klixon!

I excitedly await your thoughts!   Azn
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2010, 12:17:09 PM »

I have a Chaoscope fractal someplace that resembles your drawing - I'll try to dig it out after I get home from my employment...

I finally found it!

Actually, it's not the one I was looking for  (that one has double the "arms" but is otherwise very similar).

Here it is (a Chaoscope Julia Fractal):

If I ever find the other, I'll post it too.

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
Thunderwave
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2010, 03:52:46 PM »

I finally found it!

Actually, it's not the one I was looking for  (that one has double the "arms" but is otherwise very similar).

Here it is (a Chaoscope Julia Fractal):

<Quoted Image Removed>

If I ever find the other, I'll post it too.

Fascinating!  Thank you Sockratease,  I'm excited to see the other one as well.
klixon
Navigator

« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2010, 12:36:50 AM »

I excitedly await your thoughts!   Azn

I fell asleep last night before i could check out your music embarrass

I'm listening now. And I am thoroughly impressed! Beautiful works.
I'm definitely going back for another listening session tomorrow. I'm too tired to fully appreciate it at the moment, and I already found some pieces I need to listen to more then once to "get" them. Just what i look for in music.

favourites so far: Black Widow and abandondedmemories

Are those recordings made in a studio or a theatre?
And how much time did it take to get crystalglass right? That is just awesome cheesy

Visit me on vimeo
Thunderwave
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2010, 05:13:26 AM »

favourites so far: Black Widow and abandondedmemories

Are those recordings made in a studio or a theatre?

"Black Widow" was made in a Concert Hall by the "St. Helens String Quartet", "Abandoned Memories" was made in my own studio.  It was a piano improvisation that has added effects for 'mysterious encounters'!  wink

Quote from: klixon link=topic=3616.msg19615#msg19615 date=1279319810
And how much time did it take to get crystalglass right? That is just awesome cheesy

Thanks so much! I would say that was a b^#%!  But it was fun.  It's not equally tempered so measuring water to tune, took forever; and playing each glass to get the effect, took lots of practice and the recording was never just right.  If you're curious, it's tuned to a septimal harmonic scale, I can tell you more later.
Thunderwave
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2010, 02:05:17 AM »

Well, it turns out that there's a new moderator for the Fractal Gallery.  She is going to write up  a new article about fractals and why the gallery only accepts Digital software programs dedicated to making fractals.  She may take it up a level to allow all computer generated fractals, but she doubts they will allow hand drawn ones or any non-digital fractal.

I am still talking with her to try to make things better.

I will suggest that they consider fractals its own category and make branches for digital to non-digital fractals.  Plus I suggested to add questions as to how the fractal was designed, generated, or developed, like from a fractal program or a process of another kind.  That should somewhat clarify if they are fractals or not.

She agreed with my description of Fractals and defended the article by saying he was only explaining the category, not fractals.  Even if that is what he meant the article didn't explain that.

Nonetheless,  things are looking up for dA Fractals. smiley
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2010, 03:40:18 AM »

I wonder what they'd make of things like this over at Deviant Art:

It *was* made with a Fractal Generator!

Feel free to link to it (or any other such Fractals I made from Lissa's Images)  (There are MANY posted around the forum)  (I get Obsessive!).

Should be good for a laugh if nothing else.  And prove the point that Fractals are not so easily defined as one may think...

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
Thunderwave
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2010, 04:10:36 AM »

I wonder what they'd make of things like this over at Deviant Art:

<Quoted Image Removed>

It *was* made with a Fractal Generator!

Feel free to link to it (or any other such Fractals I made from Lissa's Images)  (There are MANY posted around the forum)  (I get Obsessive!).

Should be good for a laugh if nothing else.  And prove the point that Fractals are not so easily defined as one may think...

If it follows the rules Mandelbrot mentioned in his book "The Fractal Geometry of Nature", than it is a fractal.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: