Logo by Pauldelbrot - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Follow us on Twitter

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 28, 2024, 11:59:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Hello - A simple fractal first post  (Read 12581 times)
Description: A deviantArt frustrated member
Thunderwave
« on: July 13, 2010, 01:37:29 AM »

I deleted one of my fractals from DA, and got a question as to why I deleted it.  I  made a long statement about their horrid simplification of fractals being only fractals if they are generated by fractal generating programs!  (repetition on purpose)

So I got down and put my head to the books and started a huge essay on what fractals are.....  well my friend told me to calm down.  He said they have every right to define it in such narrow views and that I could lose my account.

Well, I haven't lost it yet and I'm trying to talk to an admin now, waiting on a response.   So I made a very simple fractal by hand to prove even my somewhat poor drawing skills can render a fractal.

I then tried to search for other similar fractals like this to prove other places have called this a fractal, but I couldn't find one.  Curious if anyone knows a fractal out there like this.

For every line divide it equally in half by itself at half the size.  I am no math-wizard but I get the process.  smiley

Anyways, hello all! evil

BTW, my fractals are mostly made by Photoshop, Apophysis, and Oxidizer.  I also am working on fractal music.
Schlega
Navigator

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 08:42:56 AM »

Hi, Thunderwave.

I haven't seen that particular fractal before, but I would say it's definately as much a fractal as the Koch snowflake or any other IFS. I've never heard anyone claim that the only real fractals are computer-generated fractals before.
visual.bermarte
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 10:59:39 AM »

Very good!!
Welcome to the paradise of fractals!*
*fractalforums.com
afro
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 11:09:29 AM by visual, Reason: more clear » Logged
bib
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

At the borders...

100008697663777 @bib993
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 11:21:51 AM »

Hi and welcome to the forums! smiley

This post reminds me my first post here on FF :

http://www.fractalforums.com/meet-and-greet/have-you-seen-this-fractal/msg6083/

Between order and disorder reigns a delicious moment. (Paul Valéry)
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 12:27:29 PM »

Hello and Welcome to the forums!

My first reaction to those stating that fractals must come from a computer program is to inquire about fern trees, nautilus shells, and riverways found in Nature!  All follow fractal patterns, but better not have come from a computer program - or else my entire view of the Universe Itself is in serious jeopardy!!

I have a Chaoscope fractal someplace that resembles your drawing - I'll try to dig it out after I get home from my employment...

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
Thunderwave
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 05:23:38 PM »

Thanks all, cheesy I should post the link about this issue of "non-fractals" from DA, http://news.deviantart.com/article/69703/.
Also my replies/comments are by Thunder-Wave.

I am curious who here generates fractals from "non-fractal" computer programs like Photoshop?

This one was made with Bryce 6 and Mirrors.

klixon
Navigator

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 09:42:35 PM »

Thank for the info... I promptly resigned from their site.
Pretentious dorks... I'll find a place somewhere else where things are appreciated.  fiery

Visit me on vimeo
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 10:40:46 PM »

Thank for the info... I promptly resigned from their site.
Pretentious dorks... I'll find a place somewhere else where things are appreciated.  fiery

What, like here maybe?

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 11:07:43 PM »

The categories at DA are based on how the image was created rather than what the image is i.e. if created using traditional drawing or painting is one category, general digital art is another, photos another, photomanip another, fractals another.
So they consider anything hand-drawn or painted as belonging to that category even if it is a fractal.
As for fractals created by fractal plug-ins for Photoshop or PSP, I think there are already many that have been allowed in the fractal category and if you make the point that such were created using fractal plug-ins (in whatever software) I don't think DA wold have a problem with them going in the fractal category.
Obviously under this system photos of real-world fractals go in the photography category.

The meaning and purpose of life is to give life purpose and meaning.

http://www.fractalgallery.co.uk/
"Makin' Magic Music" on Jango
Thunderwave
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 11:28:36 PM »

Ahhh, I see David, but this style of sorting is completely unfavorable to those obsessed with fractals beyond software. lol
I sure hope I didn't promote resigning, Klixon. sad  Please, understand I appreciate DA for what they're worth.   All I ask them to say, is:  "We only accept fractals made with digital software intended to make fractals." and I will leave them alone. 

P.S. I don't know of any fractal plugins for PS, or Bryce.  I use actions in PS and reflections in Bryce to create fractals.  Both of which is time consuming and very meditative as well.  Bryce though takes forever to render.... Ooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm.....
teamfresh
Fractal Lover

nothing is everything

fractalco
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2010, 11:39:44 PM »

I have used the Fractalius plugin for photoshop. It can be found here

http://www.redfieldplugins.com/filterFractalius.htm

It gives practically any image fractal like qualities.

I find the plug-in very easy and straightforward to use.
(i did not do these - these are from the website)

but photoshop costs so much money....
If only there was a plug-in like this for gimp. Now that would be cool!!!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 11:57:20 PM by teamfresh » Logged

David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2010, 11:44:16 PM »

There may also be fractal plug-ins for paint.net I haven't looked recently.

The meaning and purpose of life is to give life purpose and meaning.

http://www.fractalgallery.co.uk/
"Makin' Magic Music" on Jango
Thunderwave
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2010, 12:07:28 AM »

sad Fractalius is only available for windows....  I got PS2 for cheap as a student discount.  When I go back to college, I will get a new PC (Mac) with the latest Adobe suite.

[soapbox-moment]BTW, to all that do not know, PC does NOT stand for Windows! (stupid comercials)  fiery And why does adobe make so many packages?  Why can't I just buy the ones I want at a similar price? huh?[/soapbox-moment]
klixon
Navigator

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2010, 12:16:55 AM »

What, like here maybe?

Don't be absurd! All these creative minds are a menace to society. The FBI will be on me in minutes  scared white

PS (I'm in the final stage of finally rendering a zoom into the mandelbrot set. I still have to find legal and decent music to acompany it, though, so dont hold yer breath just yet lol)

Visit me on vimeo
klixon
Navigator

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2010, 12:21:52 AM »

I sure hope I didn't promote resigning, Klixon. sad

Dont worry, mate... My actions are my own. I just find that whole article a disgrace.
Fractals are not defined by the software with which they're created.

I see a point in David's comment about categorizing, but the way it is discussed disgusts me.

Visit me on vimeo
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: