Logo by mauxuam - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Did you know ? you can use LaTex inside Postings on fractalforums.com!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 18, 2024, 12:14:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Mandelbulb 3D : How to export 3d mesh ?  (Read 41782 times)
alainlioret
« on: July 07, 2010, 10:22:54 PM »

Hi,

How can I export a 3d mesh from the Mandelbulb 3D software ? or with other fractal software ?
Thanks

Alain

Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 10:42:55 PM »

Hello and Welcome to the forums   afro

Only a very few fractal generators actually have that feature.

Mandelbulb 3D does not.

Try the programs by Terry W. Gintz at Mystic Fractal.

And the one by Garth Thornton at XenoDream.

Chaos Pro also has the feature.

PS to Jesse...  SEE???  I toldja this would be a Wonderful Feature for you to add to Mandelbulb 3D!!!

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
Jesse
Download Section
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 11:21:52 PM »

PS to Jesse...  SEE???  I toldja this would be a Wonderful Feature for you to add to Mandelbulb 3D!!!

SEE???
STL? ...not in the near future, of course it would be neat because if i had this transformation, i could use it also in simple openGL for a faster navigator  smiley

SSE? already in use, of course SSE2 for double precision, dunno if you meant this
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 11:37:50 PM »

SEE???
STL? ...not in the near future, of course it would be neat because if i had this transformation, i could use it also in simple openGL for a faster navigator  smiley

SSE? already in use, of course SSE2 for double precision, dunno if you meant this

The "SEE?" was just a shortening of "Do you see?" - It probably got lost in translation...

OBJ format would be the most universal, stl format is mostly for 3D Printers - but obj is used by almost all 3D Rendering software out there  (and being a fan of 3D Art, I am always pestering everyone to add obj file export to their software!).

I still think Mandelbulb 3D is a Treasure as it is, and will always be one.  Even it never does any for of 3D file export!

Keep up the good work, and thanks again for such a fine piece of software   afro

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

nahee_enterprises Nahee.Enterprises NaheeEnterprise
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 04:43:59 AM »

Hi,   How can I export a 3d mesh from the Mandelbulb 3D software ?
    or with other fractal software ?

Greetings, and Welcome to this particular Forum !!!    smiley

Only a very few fractal generators actually have that feature.   Mandelbulb 3D does not.
    Try the programs by Terry W. Gintz at Mystic Fractal.
    And the one by Garth Thornton at XenoDream.
    Chaos Pro also has the feature.

Your best bet are QuaSZ  and  Chaos Pro.

Though XenoDream is capable of producing 3D meshes, it is not really capable of doing the Mandelbulb, as stated by Garth Thornton himself:
   ....that should be all the Tripco metamorphs except Tripcos2T.
    At least the Juliabulb versions, not the Mandelbulb, which XD can't do.
    I haven't tried any of the Mandelbulb programs.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 01:40:34 PM by Nahee_Enterprises » Logged

trafassel
Fractal Bachius

trafassel
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 08:38:44 AM »

A VRML-Export of the visible surface (from the point of view, resticed to the monitor rectangle) can be done in Gestaltlupe (http://github.com/trafassel/Gestaltlupe). 

I added this export to get an feeling of the 3D structure of the surface of the fractal.

Pressing the Export-Button in the bitmap view of the rendered image starts a export of the 3D Data. Because this export use the same data as the rendering algorithm, the result 3D file is nice if you start with the same viewpoint as the fied of view in the original scene.  If you rotate the 3D object, you see there are lots of "holes", as you see in the following pictures. This holes belongs to the regions, which are not visible from the point of view. If you want to get rid of the holes, you have to combine different 3D exports, generated by different point of views of the same fractal.

* mbulbVRML_View1.jpg (118.65 KB, 800x600 - viewed 2013 times.)

* mbulbVRML_View2.jpg (92 KB, 800x600 - viewed 1684 times.)

* mbulbVRML_View3.jpg (90.11 KB, 800x600 - viewed 1569 times.)
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 11:26:47 AM »

A VRML-Export of the visible surface (from the point of view, resticed to the monitor rectangle) can be done in Gestaltlupe (http://github.com/trafassel/Gestaltlupe).

I've dealt with many odd 3D file formats over the years, but VRML is a new one to me!  I'll have to look it up someplace...

Can it be converted to more useful formats like obj, or other more common types?

Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

nahee_enterprises Nahee.Enterprises NaheeEnterprise
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 01:48:23 PM »

I've dealt with many odd 3D file formats over the years, but VRML is a new one to me!
    I'll have to look it up someplace...
    Can it be converted to more useful formats like obj, or other more common types?

I believe Virtual Reality Markup Language came out back in the mid 1990's.  It was something designed to be used for the web, to make vector graphics interactive.  One could create a panoramic landscape view that people could navigate through with their browser.  The files associated with them usually have a *.WRL file extension.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 01:50:55 PM by Nahee_Enterprises » Logged

alainlioret
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2010, 03:19:54 PM »

Thank you very much for all these reply.

I've heard something about Voxels...
what's this ?
I read that somebody try to convert Mandelbulb results into Voxels via 3D Coat...
huh?

How ? True ?

Thanks again

Alain

Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2010, 11:32:52 PM »

I've dealt with many odd 3D file formats over the years, but VRML is a new one to me!
    I'll have to look it up someplace...

I believe Virtual Reality Markup Language came out back in the mid 1990's.  It was something designed to be used for the web, to make vector graphics interactive.  One could create a panoramic landscape view that people could navigate through with their browser.  The files associated with them usually have a *.WRL file extension.

Thanks for the background!  I searched, but it seems all I can find is other people in other forums asking how to convert these files to something useful!

While the format is interesting, it seems quite limited.

I wish I understood what's involved with making an obj file from a fractal...  Then I could be more understanding of people not including the option in software!!

visual.bermarte
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2010, 12:14:06 AM »

Hi,
for Mandelbulb 3d: create a rendering (a sequence of images) of white slices with black blackground and after that use imageJ; import the sequence into imageJ and use imagej 3d Viewer.
Export surface as WaveFront.
For VRML use Blender, import .wrl and export to .obj.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 12:25:30 AM by visual » Logged
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2010, 01:32:50 AM »

Hi,
for Mandelbulb 3d: create a rendering (a sequence of images) of white slices with black blackground and after that use imageJ; import the sequence into imageJ and use imagej 3d Viewer.
For VRML use Blender, import .wrl and export to .obj.

Thankies!

I'll have to give them a try over the weekend - Blender is a Staple in my 3D Arsenal, but never heard of imagej.  I'll have to see about those 2D slices too...

blob
Strange Attractor

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2010, 02:29:52 AM »

Hi,

Yes!  grin  My first and very crude mandelbulb rendered in Kerkythea.  grin

* render.jpg (69.74 KB, 518x543 - viewed 2443 times.)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 02:32:38 AM by blob » Logged
alainlioret
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2010, 03:51:21 PM »

Thank you very much for the information about ImageJ...
I try something with this software.

Alain

rgbphil
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2010, 02:31:49 AM »

Hi,
I'm new to the forums so please forgive me for a silly question.
I'd like to make a 3d object as well...to integrate into other programs. I've managed to use some low res slices I found about the place and make a blubby obj mesh using ImageJ (great program!).
Some posters above mentioned using Mandle3d to make the slices, which I'd like to do at a higher res. Is there an automatic way to make these slices.....is there a set of parameters thats needed and the animation function that will create slices without manual work??
Phil
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: