Logo by Sockratease - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit us on facebook

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 28, 2024, 10:19:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Acropora 1.0 released  (Read 2864 times)
Description: Procedural noise fractal modeler
tncomp
Forums Newbie

« on: June 29, 2010, 12:17:55 PM »

Image rendering by Samuel Zeller

Acropora is a procedural voxel modeler for creating complex, organic mesh topologies that are useful for all types of 3D modeling applications. Acropora incorporates some of the latest advances in voxel modeling technology.

Acropora combines volumetric modifiers with multi-octave 3D noise sampling to generate detailed surfaces in far less time than conventional surface modeling software. Acropora adopts a less deterministic approach to generating complex, organic shapes by applying a series of modifiers on large voxelized meshes. The effect is to create an endless, seamless expanse of surface that undulates and changes in a natural way. The resulting meshes contain caves, ridges, overhangs and other natural features that are not possible with height maps.

Features include:

Voxelisation of user imported models
Wide selection of geometric primitives
Over 60+ modifiers (geometric, warp, filter, terrain, misc)
Generation of up to 15 octaves of user definable noise based on volumetric, Perlin and fractal noise models.
Spline-controlled lofts and extrusions.
Voxel carving tools
Export to multiple mesh formats (.FBX, .3DS, .OBJ, .DAE, .DXF)
Export of voxel spaces (full or RLE encoded)
More info here.

Image rendering by Ron Bednar

Procedural terrain modeler

Voxelisation and modification of user-imported meshes:

Check out the new samples here

Check out the videos of the new features here.

Check out the gallery here.

Check out the new tutorials on YouTube <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/fKiPvy82u00&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/fKiPvy82u00&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1</a>.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 12:30:24 PM by Trifox, Reason: corrected links » Logged
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 01:00:24 PM »

I wondered why you didn't mention if this was free software, or commercial.

After visiting your site, I now know why!!

$120 (US) is just far too much for this kind of program, in my opinion.  I still haven't picked up Visions of Chaos because I felt the $40 tag was a bit high!

Does this program accept outside formulas?

I'd like to see what a Mandelbulb obj file looks like  (the only reason I was considering Visions of Chaos is it's obj file export)  (but as I said - given the Superb Quality of all the Free software on this site, $40 was just too much to justify).

Good luck with the project, though.  Just because I am poor doesn't mean there aren't others out there willing to pay.

I suggest you try sites like daz3d.com as well - the Bryce and Carrara users may have more of an interest than the Fractal crowd...

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
kram1032
Fractal Senior

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 07:29:42 PM »

Looks to me like a quite good landscape maker... 120$ isn't actually too bad for such a kind of program. You probably will find programs that can do less and cost more...

(Not that I'd buy it for that reason though^^)
Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

nahee_enterprises Nahee.Enterprises NaheeEnterprise
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 10:59:21 PM »

Acropora is a procedural voxel modeler for creating complex, organic mesh
    topologies that are useful for all types of 3D modeling applications.  Acropora
    incorporates some of the latest advances in voxel modeling technology.
    http://www.voxelogic.com/

Greetings, and Welcome to this particular Forum !!!    smiley

Not sure that we will be getting much in the way of further responses (since this appears to be just another hit-and-run advertisement).  So I will stick with the 30-day Demo version to see how well it handles ($119 USD or €96 Euro is just too much in today's economic market).  Besides, with all the other applications I have, I can already create the same type of images and models.

David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 11:12:20 PM »

Looks interesting, but without doing a lot more I think it's a little expensive - I mean unless it supports user scripts so one could for instance write a script for rendering say a Mandelbulb in voxel format - if restricted to the in-built rendering modification functions I'd say around $40 would be more like it.

Also I'd suggest adding plain STL file output, it seems that most physical object renderers require that format.

The meaning and purpose of life is to give life purpose and meaning.

http://www.fractalgallery.co.uk/
"Makin' Magic Music" on Jango
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: