Logo by LAR2 - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Check out the originating "3d Mandelbulb" thread here

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 18, 2024, 04:35:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Image size in Gallery  (Read 14304 times)
Bent-Winged Angel
Fractal Bachius

« on: June 15, 2010, 11:36:19 PM »

In Gallery in says "posting image size not to exceed 1200X 1200 pixels."  Now others get to post that size all the time.hmmn.  What's up with that?  Wrong format?  Do some members get more space because of their status?  ust tell me what size is acceptable for me to post.  Thanks soo much for your cooperation!  wink

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 11:38:05 PM »

the gallery and attachments are limited, including external images can be bigger....

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
Bent-Winged Angel
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 11:46:35 PM »

Could you be more specific please?  For example I will try to post an image that is 1.26MB with a pixel size of 768X576  you will not accept it.  When you speak in generalities it is difficult for all.
the gallery and attachments are limited, including external images can be bigger....

Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 12:04:29 AM »

Could you be more specific please?  For example I will try to post an image that is 1.26MB with a pixel size of 768X576  you will not accept it.  When you speak in generalities it is difficult for all.

I think the problem may lie in your posting bmp files.

Try any other format!  Bitmaps (bmp) are not suitable for the internet at all - the file sizes in MB are just huge for the pixel dimensions.

I really think we should just disallow any bmp files in the gallery - it's a setting which can be adjusted easily enough.

Try opening any of your bmp files in your favorite image editor  (windows comes with mspaint for free in the "accessories" if you don't have one!) and save it out as a jpg or png file.  png is lossless, jpg can be lossy, but the difference is mostly seen exclusively in very large images, or animations.

After you save it as another format - compare the file sizes.  You'll see the bmp file is much larger, and therefore takes longer to load online and uses much more bandwidth.

I never recommend bmp for online posting.

You should have no problems with a 1200 x 1200 jpg or png - but a bmp at that resolution is just too much!

Hope that helps...

If it's still unclear - feel free to ask for further clarification   crazy

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
Bent-Winged Angel
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 12:07:35 AM »

I'm posting png!  Thanks sockratease!

Bent-Winged Angel
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 12:11:31 AM »

Ok png is with chaospro,, buuut chaoscope uses bitmaps!  And I do seem to have more problems with them not being accepted.

Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 01:02:16 AM »

Ok png is with chaospro,, buuut chaoscope uses bitmaps!  And I do seem to have more problems with them not being accepted.

As I said ;

Try opening any of your bmp files in your favorite image editor  (windows comes with mspaint for free in the "accessories" if you don't have one!) and save it out as a jpg or png file.

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 10:23:16 AM »

right, there are 2 limitations for uploading to the gallery:

the first is image size: 1200x1200 and the second limitation is file size: 1,2 MB ( in my eyes far to high but, some images really eat up 750kb easily ) so, 1,2 mb is the file limit

and i must admit, that i am very happy with this limitations, i have nightmares of people like you uploading massively large files with really low informational content ( the amount that remains after compression ) file size is limited, and it works only if rigorous filters are set, because nowadays we can not check every single upload for file sizes

and i will go and remove the "BMP" file format from the allowed file formats in the gallerry ...

ARGH, BMP and INTERNET

---

blob
Strange Attractor

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2010, 11:26:30 AM »

Use RIOT to compress efficiently to jpg without much perceptual quality loss. That image can be compressed to 50-60kb or even lower easily, that's about 1/20th of the bmp size.  afro

http://luci.criosweb.ro/riot/

Edit: Sorry I meant to post that in this thread: http://www.fractalforums.com/images-showcase-(rate-my-fractal)/icon-t3398/?topicseen but I guess it's just as relevant here.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 11:29:26 AM by blob » Logged
Rathinagiri
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2010, 11:52:57 AM »

Thanks for the info.
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2010, 01:17:50 PM »

RIOT is used by IRFANVIEW Internally

---

Jesse
Download Section
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2010, 12:43:11 AM »

right, there are 2 limitations for uploading to the gallery:

the first is image size: 1200x1200 and the second limitation is file size: 1,2 MB ( in my eyes far to high but, some images really eat up 750kb easily ) so, 1,2 mb is the file limit

Was the image size limit changed, iirc i have seen different sizes last time i uploaded an image?
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2010, 10:59:53 AM »

yes, i have silently increased image sizes, to 2400x2400, max file size is 1,2 mb ( do not exceed that )
if the gallery does not scale down uploaded images, it can handle big files ...

and i wanted to allow desktop size images ( 1920x1280 ) but i did it silently to check if it works or
make other problems.... but it seems to work

---

Wel lEnTaoed
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2010, 06:20:59 PM »

I tried to post an image in a reply. Problem is it only allows 256KB.  Sorry folks but have no idea what that is.  I know jpeg, bitmap, png.  So when i tried to make it smaller repeatedly I got the message that I had already tried previously, soo rejected. Yes I must be an alien here! alien
bib
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

At the borders...

100008697663777 @bib993
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2010, 06:53:58 PM »

What, you don't know the latest 256KB image format huh?

No, seriously, 256KB means 256 Kilobytes : it's the maximum file size allowed to attach a file to a reply. Your file was too big. So use the gallery instead of posting the image directly in the reply, and paste the gallery link in your reply.

hope that helps

Between order and disorder reigns a delicious moment. (Paul Valéry)
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: