Logo by reallybigname - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Did you know ? you can use LaTex inside Postings on fractalforums.com!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 26, 2024, 01:48:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Making Money with Fractal Art  (Read 26979 times)
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2013, 10:36:27 PM »

there is a pretty easy way to make such images repetetive ... just copy halve of the outside to the inside, but on the opposite side,
i had once a very suitable tile formula for it, but i never found it again, i works by just adding the areas outside to the inside,
the programm "mutatorkammer" i once wrote featured this, and EVERY image could be made tileable, in a interesting manner, because
the parts that where copied over the images where not copies of the same image

i then got stuck when i had the idea to create collections of tiles e.g. make 3 different images that fit perfectly to eachother to make
a nice infinite tiled surface with random patterns cheesy but i failed at least all the methods for achieving this where unsatisfying wink

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

nahee_enterprises Nahee.Enterprises NaheeEnterprise
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2013, 07:26:17 AM »

I had a similar thought seeing some of the fractal 2d creations here.  Some of them could work perfect for
textile patterns or perhaps in the fashion industry.

Fractals have been used in the textile industry for decades now.  They just never seem to become really fashionable to the point of everybody wanting to wear such designs.

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2013, 07:51:47 AM »

the thing with the textiles was mentioned by a friend last time, and n my eyes the real concept of chaos has not really been used in textile industry, ok, we have some shapes, and some spirals, mostly psychedelic stuff, this is in my eyes not the real usage of chaos theory in textiles...

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
JoeFRAQ
Fractal Lover

JoeFRAQ

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2013, 09:16:36 PM »

Here is my personal experience with making money from fractal art:

About 10 years ago, I started my pursuit of selling my artwork.  I have come no where near making a living at it, and it has been a LOT of work, but here is what I can claim:

I made:
$X00 from contests (like the old Fractal Universe Calendar contests).
$Xk from people and companies seeking permissions to include my work on their products (books & CDs)
$Xk from online sales from my personal website.
$Xk from teaching a XenoDream course at Visual Arts Academy.
$Xk from showing my work at art galleries and my local shopping malls.  These were all gallery wrapped canvas prints (limited edition of 10) at sizes between 6 and 12 sqr. Ft.
$Xk selling grand scale fractal art murals.  This is my current focus and I actively work to find interior designers and decorators who are interested include my designs in their work.  One of my key selling points is that I am willing to move the colors within a design to match the customer’s home.  This gives the designers a type of power they have never had before, using a fresh new type of art that many people have never seen before.  My ultimate goal is to create a movement in popular architectural decoration via fractal art.

Even if the X's summed up to 25 or 30, that's not a whole lot over 10 years.

One of these days, I will find a commercial designer who wants to order canvas prints by the hundreds or a super massive mural for a hot night club.  Now *that* would be nice.  Until then, I will just keep throwing my line out over and over again, going for that big catch.

I definitely believe it’s possible to make good money from fractal art, but I have only managed to drum up a little jingle change…so far.

Has anyone here ever gone as far as getting a booth together for art walks and festivals? 
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 12:59:49 AM by JoeFRAQ » Logged

Happy fractaling,

Joseph Presley
www.FractalAbyss.com
Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

nahee_enterprises Nahee.Enterprises NaheeEnterprise
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2013, 01:43:03 AM »

Has anyone here ever gone as far as getting a booth together for art walks and festivals? 

I have had booths with a few different local events and exhibits.  The best sales were always with the very small items, which were priced so low that the profit was barely over the actual cost to make.  But I usually sold out of those items.  They were only used to attract people to the booth and get some word of mouth advertising going on.

Rarely did any of the larger pieces get sold.  And only on three separate occasions did I get commissioned to produce a special request piece for somebody.

Never really lost money, but it was a lot of work and time spent.  Any money made just covered expenses for materials, supplies, etc...

gomer
Forums Newbie

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2014, 04:53:44 AM »

I guess this is by way of introductions ….I joined the forum because of the proliferation of fractal generating programs (very cooool.....) considering that just a short few years ago these (Fractal Apps ) were not available unless you wrote one yourself (I tried)...Anyways a great big thanks to the authors of these apps (and this site ) for the opportunity to view the infinite shore.
      I've been a professional artist going on a few years now (I'm A white beard). I've been fascinated by Fractal art since Beniot first wrote his now famous tome......I've been producing fractals since the 80's (my first attempts were hand draw Sierpinski snakes ) and have incorporated them(fractals )ever since in my art.
      You can see my latest results on utube on the Slainnemo channel (Slain being my on line avatar..... <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/17OSTHVaO2E&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/17OSTHVaO2E&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1</a>)

My “ opinion “  about making art or money with Fractals, is how you pick your media and the subsequent message that invariable comes thru good or bad.
        Art is indeed in the eyes of the beholder and the methods the “ artist “ employed in the production of the “art”.
   The “artist” will embed his message in the art either unconsciously or consciously simply by picking a media and then saying something (the message or not which is also a message )that is the nature of “ art” the media and the message, both of which speak deeply of the producer of the “ art “ which can or cannot produce money......

Fractals are a media like good oil paints for me ( I prefer Winsor & Newton Hi grade oils)and ( I use them to paint with as a highly trained artist would )I would make a distinction between generating a fractal or hand painting one, both of which I have done, either way I employed all my training as an artist to come up with something original and beautiful that make me want to “ eye of the beholder “ all day long.

the value we as a society place on art often has little to do with the motivations of the artist....(me personally what I think about my art is to allow the beholder to come up with his or her own message upon viewing I don't care what they come up with once the work is done I try to put it out there message in the bottle style), which is gonna happen anyways (the eye of the beholder).I really don't care if the “ eye” beholds what I behold as the journey is more important then the finished painting... (as an artist I employ 120% of my creative life in the production of the work and I try to produce as finished and polished a work as I can knowing the “eye” does not see  the effort in the production of the art )and then I gather all of the sand of the mandala and throw them into the sea.

So to sum I would say for me only fractals are a media for my message which is consciously Buddhist in nature (I'm also a practicing Buddhist ..Hear me know.... )and very thankful  for the efforts of other (the programmers and their art as well as this forum................
billtavis
Safarist

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2014, 06:58:47 PM »

Making money commercially with any type of art requires finding a market, and then spending a lot of time and effort getting your skills up to the level where you will stand out from the competition. Posters and textiles are two such markets already mentioned in this thread.

I've had a successful career doing commercial 3d artwork - artwork that almost always incorporated fractals, but it is not what most of you here would consider fractal art. Most movies with any CG at all will use fractals (all the way back to the very first all-CG scene, in the Wrath of Khan 1982). But usually these are not the pretty Mandelbrot/Julia type fractals, but the "mundane" noisy texture/force variants of Perlin noise (fBm). The fractals are usually not the subject of the art, but serve to enhance the believability and/or interest of the art. So if we allow ourselves to broaden what we consider fractal art, then there are plenty of people who do make a living with it. In the newest fractal documentary by Nova, they talk to someone working on one of the new Star Wars movies, and he describes creating a realistic lava fountain by affecting a particle stream with fractal forces.

And if you want to make fine art instead of commercial art, then making money should not be your primary concern anyways. If it happens, great you can quit your day job. But don't count on it. Great art is often ahead of it's time and not appreciated for its full worth until much later. Many famous artists of the past died without amassing any fortune from their artwork, yet they made it anyways because they had an insatiable desire to express themselves visually.
JodyVL
Safarist

Everybody's a fool but whose fool are you?

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2015, 09:47:10 PM »

Just to throw in my two cents.... ;P

There's a new social network that seems to have FB scared, which to me sounds like it might be the next big thing... http://tsu.co

Yes, "co" without the "m"

It's invite only so use "Mandelsage" when it asks you for a shortcode referral when signing up.

Basically, it's like any other sharing site except that it shares 90% of its revenue with its users and charities. So you get paid for every post, share and friend you add/recruit. I've been using it for two days now and am liking the simple, clean interface. Using it as a platform to get into my fractal art again =)

My Fractals and Fractal Art for Beginners blog! : http://mandelubber.blogspot.com/
thargor6
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2015, 01:41:33 AM »

So you get paid for every post, share and friend you add/recruit.
Nice try  A Beer Cup
quaz0r
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2015, 04:35:29 AM »

SPAM !!!
JodyVL
Safarist

Everybody's a fool but whose fool are you?

« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2015, 05:34:55 PM »

Nice try  A Beer Cup

Don't take my word for it... Just google it. I have $0,006 dollars so far ;P

I put it like this : tsu(dot)co because of the habit of doing it on FB (who have blocked the whole site) but here's the link:

http://tsu.co/Mandelsage
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 09:11:45 PM by JodyVL » Logged

My Fractals and Fractal Art for Beginners blog! : http://mandelubber.blogspot.com/
1Bryan1
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2015, 04:16:21 AM »

Don't take my word for it... Just google it. I have $0,006 dollars so far ;P

I put it like this : tsu(dot)co because of the habit of doing it on FB (who have blocked the whole site) but here's the link:

http://tsu.co/No_to_Mandelsage

If it smells like a scam, tastes like a scam, is run like a scam - then it must be legit.
Google is my anti-scam friend.
http://ayesh.me/no-tsu.co

Find 340+ more of my fractal art at http://1bryan1.deviantart.com/gallery/
1Bryan1
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2015, 04:23:41 AM »

Frankly, I love the look of 3D fractals.

Would I pay someone for a factual image on canvas ... probably not.
Would I use one of the many print-your-own -image-on-canvas sites ... most likely.

And that is the reason Fractal art is unlikely to be a money spinner - for every person that wants to be paid for their image - there is 100's of people willing to give them for free.

Find 340+ more of my fractal art at http://1bryan1.deviantart.com/gallery/
KRAFTWERK
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Virtual Surreality

« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2015, 11:14:59 AM »

Frankly, I love the look of 3D fractals.

Would I pay someone for a factual image on canvas ... probably not.
Would I use one of the many print-your-own -image-on-canvas sites ... most likely.

And that is the reason Fractal art is unlikely to be a money spinner - for every person that wants to be paid for their image - there is 100's of people willing to give them for free.

cheesy

bib
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

At the borders...

100008697663777 @bib993
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2015, 11:40:30 AM »

for every person that wants to be paid for their image - there is 100's of people willing to give them for free.

Yep, and for every professional photographer, there are 1000's people who take selfies with their smart phone.

Between order and disorder reigns a delicious moment. (Paul Valéry)
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: