Logo by Trifox - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Check out the originating "3d Mandelbulb" thread here

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 29, 2024, 11:45:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Making Money with Fractal Art  (Read 26344 times)
Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

nahee_enterprises Nahee.Enterprises NaheeEnterprise
« on: June 13, 2010, 04:33:29 PM »

A recent posting by Tim Hodkinson at the Orbit Trap web site was titled:  "Fractal Art: No Money" .  It basically discussed the feasibility of making any worthwhile amount from selling fractal "artwork".  And was followed by several comments from others.

I also read a rather recent article posted through the Associated Press (AP) about David Jenkins and his fractal creations.  He has a studio in Kingman, Arizona that he works from, with apparently some success.  (A quick Google search using the following keywords:  "David Jenkins" Kingman digital artist  will produce several links of the same information.)  The original article was titled:  "Kingman digital artist uses math to make magic", and apparently ran about a month ago.

From the various sources I have read online about David Jenkins, it seems he may be doing fairly well with his fractal endeavors.  But I am wondering if this is just publicity hype or what??  (Might have to send him an email to see what the real truth is.)

Here are some of the links from my Google search:
    http://kdminer.com/m/ArticleDisplay.aspx?articleid=37880&sectionid=1
    http://www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100514/GJLIFESTYLES/100519895/-1/fosLifestyles02
    http://david-jenkins.fineartamerica.com/
    http://www.kingmanart.com/news.htm

« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 07:59:58 PM by Nahee_Enterprises » Logged

timhodkinson
Forums Newbie

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 03:17:01 AM »

This is a great find.  I think the reporter does give the impression that Dave Jenkins is making a living at selling fractal art.  I'm skeptical though because this guy is also a retired professional engineer.  His artwork at the FineArtAmerica site is interesting for it's unique style.  This guy isn't just another "fractalbook" artist.  I still think he's only making supplemental income though.

And what's with this?
Fortunately, whenever he's missing a tool he wants, Jenkins can simply call or e-mail the people who designed the software and ask them for a fix without having to deal with the customer service departments of the typical software company.

Is there a secret custom support department for UF?

Perhaps the journalist writing the article isn't familiar with fractal art or digital art in general and is misunderstanding some of the things Dave Jenkins is telling him?

What's most interesting about this guy is that he seems to be operating in a non-fractal art environment and yet still receiving a positive response from his peers and apparently customers too.  It's a big world I guess.
teamfresh
Fractal Lover

nothing is everything

fractalco
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 03:22:45 PM »

And what's with this?
Fortunately, whenever he's missing a tool he wants, Jenkins can simply call or e-mail the people who designed the software and ask them for a fix without having to deal with the customer service departments of the typical software company.

ahh the fractal Illuminati!

David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 03:42:18 PM »

Not exactly secret, there are no departments at all, just one person - Frederik Slijkerman and that's it smiley

The meaning and purpose of life is to give life purpose and meaning.

http://www.fractalgallery.co.uk/
"Makin' Magic Music" on Jango
pfrancke
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 06:11:19 AM »

my simple comment about this comment...  sex sells.  In Renderosity, if you want your image to be clicked on, put a nude V4 into the image (I guess mystery in the thumbnail might be a factor).  Fractals have the lowest hit rate imaginable. 

Having said that, I'd love to see software that lets you apply textures to fractal images and insert objects into fractal worlds.  If a program like mandelbrot 3d could be used like a general purpose rendering tool (be able to add detail (texture) and whatever to the camera in a fractal world), it would be a massive hit for those that like to play with toys.
Xazo-Tak
Navigator

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 06:21:12 AM »

Wow, these forums are barely used! Thread has not been used in 90 days, and still far from the bottom of the front page.
It seems trivial shapes like the dodecahedron are better known than fractals, even though only the latter has an influence on peoples everyday lives.
To support those who try and use good fractal work to make a living, introduce a person to the world of fractals every now and then when the chance comes.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 06:29:19 AM by Xazo-Tak » Logged

I lost the game!
AtomicZagnut
Forums Freshman

Collide your scopes!

Fractoscopic
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 09:25:19 AM »

I hate to ressurect such an old thread, but this struck a nerve with me.

As someone who has recently started a business selling fractal posters, it's discouraging to see so many people saying there's no money in it.  However, OT seems to be focusing on high-art, sold in galleries and such.  I'm marketing my posters toward college students and hippies.  I've seen plenty of similar prints in dorm rooms and headshops.

We'll see how sales go, as I've only just started, but I really think the key is how you position yourself.
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 10:34:20 AM »

yay, keep us informed how it develops!

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
slon_ru
Iterator

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 09:28:51 PM »

"...You can’t buy an original fractal print like you can an original painting..."
Yes, you CAN!  cheesy cheesy cheesy

LMarkoya
Strange Attractor

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 03:31:36 AM »

OK...I know I am late to this party, but I just checked out David Jenkins "art". If he is making anything more than a few dollars, the buyers have never seen this site. His offerings are simple and amateurish, and if he really spent 15 years to develop that imagery, I'd think most of the time was spent sleeping. Not only are the fractals used by themselves, but the stuff used, 2D and 3D is very simple, and does not reflect a knowledge of the tools at all. I for one would not believe he can make a living with this stuff.
That said, I do believe fractals can be raised to the level of fine art...and am committed to doing so myself......as others here are
Furan
Explorer

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2013, 11:27:19 AM »

I wonder, there is one field the fractal art might dominate - the wrapping paper. I will definitely try to create some repeating patterns of 2D/3D fractals and offer it for free to a printing company that creates these (they probably print cheap posters too). I mean take a look at what is available, some of the cheaper ones are completely hidious. If they catch on, some profit can emerge. 90% of general people never heard the term "fractal" or saw a fractal image.
bib
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

At the borders...

100008697663777 @bib993
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2013, 02:46:04 PM »

I wonder, there is one field the fractal art might dominate - the wrapping paper. I will definitely try to create some repeating patterns of 2D/3D fractals and offer it for free to a printing company that creates these (they probably print cheap posters too). I mean take a look at what is available, some of the cheaper ones are completely hidious. If they catch on, some profit can emerge. 90% of general people never heard the term "fractal" or saw a fractal image.

Wrapping paper...mmmh why not. At first sight I thought you wanted to create some kind of thick paper with an internal fractal structure for maximum protection and minimum weight (think bubble wrap), could be another idea, huh?

Anyway, let us know if that works...

Between order and disorder reigns a delicious moment. (Paul Valéry)
zonepatcher
Conqueror

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2013, 12:06:12 PM »

well..first their is fractal art and then there are fractal software..I use Incendia...the fractals created n generated from dis software doesn't look like my fractals from other software ...so I think a distinction should be made....I have made close to 10K selling my fractal collages...created in Incendia.....it's not a livin BUT...I did get to pay off my credit cards...hee...

<a href="http://www.theparkhotels.com/"

contacted me after seeing my work on flickR.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/psychoactivartz/

and wanted to buy some of my collages...unfortunately,  I only had 1 file of the 9 they requested.....my old computt was fried and I lost all my work....somehow I was able to convince em ta let me create new works for them....
ended up sellin 6 digital files wit exclusive digital rights to the image and .....I retain the ownership rights of the individual objects that made up the collages....
they were 72" X 52"  TIFF wit 300DPI LZW CMYK  ..that they then resized to
72" x 48" and printed on canvase.
here is a link to the collages sold

http://www.flickr.com/photos/psychoactivartz/sets/72157628396637919/

It's one thing to sell yer Art..it's  another ta get yer money...1st half recieved in 3.5 months....the 2nd half took almost 8 months...that was scary n stressful...also,  I took a very big hit on what I thought they were worth and what I ended up agreeing to !!!...ggrrrr (limited budget)

I was told by them that they will commission me the next time ??..I can only hope !!

What I found interesting was the fact that they choose images that related more to reality.....than to the otherworldly....

30 room hotel in Goa on candolim beach, India....they wanted Goa inspired Art...(Goa ia a genre of electronic music) sci-fi, psychedelic, spacey, futuristic, cartoon colors, abstract and robotic were the adjectives for my assigment ??....hee..dat sounded pretty easy...
   I prefer corporations and institutions as clients.....
so,  dis has been my very personal experience in selling Fractal Art.....
  I believe it's only da beginning....and have been inspired to keep creatin wit hard work n dedication toward "Makin Money wit Fractal Art"
.....if it can happen to me....it can happen for you !!!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 12:11:18 PM by zonepatcher » Logged
Sitting Duck
Navigator

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2013, 04:11:17 PM »

I had a similar thought seeing some of the fractal 2d creations here. Some of them could work perfect for textile patterns or perhaps in the fashion industry.
(I don't think this topic is dead so I just wanted to add my 2 cent.)
Furan
Explorer

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2013, 10:11:27 PM »

I tried something a while ago but didn't finish. Several years ago I generated this. It's a clipped spherical gyroid.

My initial tries to make similar effect periodical was unsuccessfull. Then I gave up. I will get back to it some day.
Ok, maybe tomorrow, 'cause I may have something...
Oh, man! I gotta do science too!  undecided
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: