Logo by Fiery - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Follow us on Twitter

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 19, 2024, 08:30:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: FRACTAL EDITING  (Read 7237 times)
Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

nahee_enterprises Nahee.Enterprises NaheeEnterprise
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2013, 08:18:41 PM »

...now I know what you don't consider "Fractal Art".  Apparently both my examples are a form of "art using Fractals".
I like to know what you DO consider Fractal Art.  According to your definition, I would suppose that Fractal Art would
be purely mathematical, based on a single iterative formula, and should be composed of only two colors for the odd and
even iterations.  Any addition in coloring would surely be "art using fractals" because it is not strictly necessary to define
the form of the fractal.
Edit: After writing this post, I stumbled upon this post http://orbittrap.ca/?p=5154.
Puts this discussion in an interesting perspective...

I am old school when it comes to fractals.  I have been involved with them for decades now, long before the "kids" now days took an interest, and even before a lot of them were born.  So I tend toward the original meaning of "fractal art".  It is pretty much as you have "supposed" above, but I do not limit the colors to just two values, because that is just a "map" used for assigning a value after a calculated number has been reached for that particular point on/within the plane.  It does not have to be "odd or even", because it can fall within a scale.

And Tim Hodkinson's posting on Orbit Trap kind of explains what has happened over the many years to alter what people think of as "fractal art".  Now days, it has come to the point where anything within an image that looks or has anything to do with fractals ends up causing that image to be called "fractal art".  Just because a photograph of a fern frond shows the fractal design of the plant does not necessarily make it "fractal art", even if it is an artistic art image that has to do with something fractal.

Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2013, 09:07:38 PM »

"Art Using Fractals" is too long to say.

I hereby propose calling all this fancified stuff with obj file export, layering, masking, post-work, filters, and even etc "Fractal Art" and the "Pure" stuff can simply be called "Fractals".

Let's face it, if it's more than 2 words there is no way it will catch on and stick in today's culture.

So I say us blasphemers just steal the phrase "Fractal Art" and let the pure things have the simpler, and Purer term - Fractals.   jabbering

The scary part about that idea is I have no idea if I am being sarcastic or not!   afro

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

nahee_enterprises Nahee.Enterprises NaheeEnterprise
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2013, 09:38:49 PM »

"Art Using Fractals" is too long to say.    ........
Let's face it, if it's more than 2 words there is no way it will catch on and stick in today's culture.

In today's society, with social networking, texting, and everything else taking place on small "smart" phones, you might as well say that anything with more than two syllables is too long.     fiery

Besides, there has already been a two word definition for "art using fractals", it is called "digital art" !!!!     evil

As to anything longer than two words being too much for today's culture to accept, that is not true.  There are many people, groups, companies, objects, and what have you, that are three or more words long, and are quite popular.  Take for example musical groups:
Fall Out Boy
Haste the Day
Axe Murder Boyz
Three Doors Down
Ben Folds Five
Jimmy Eat World
My Chemical Romance
Grand Funk Railroad
Creedence Clearwater Revival
Bachman Turner Overdrive
New York Dolls
Electric Light Orchestra
Guns and Roses
Men Without Hats
Dexy's Midnight Runners
Wu Tang Clan
Old Dirty Bastard
Fountains of Wayne
Our Daughter's Wedding
Goo Goo Dolls
Soul to Soul
Alice in Chains
Ozark Mountain Daredevils
Gang of Four
Fine Young Cannibals
Vains of Jenna
Loggins and Messina
Simon and Garfunkel
Jan and Dean
Lamb of God
Type O Negative
Lords of Acid
Nine Inch Nails
Corrosion of Conformity
Driving and Crying
Mighty Mighty Bosstones
Reverend Horton Heat
Blue Oyster Cult
Wall of Voodoo
Marshall Tucker Band
Charlie Daniels Band
Hall and Oates
Little River Band
Aly and AJ
Third Eye Blind
2 Live Crew
Dead Can Dance
Black Oak Arkansas
Better than Ezra
Right Said Fred
Three Dog Night
Salt 'n' Peppa
The Beach Boys
Ace of Base
Alan Parsons Project
Black Eyed Peas
Dave Matthews Band
Tower of Power
Back Street Boys
... etc...

Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2013, 10:21:37 PM »

fiery

Yeah, but all that does nothing to enhance the awkward sound of "Art Using Fractals" - it just doesn't have the aesthetic needed to surpass the two word limit of today's youth.

And I don't want Digital Art because the word Fractal HAS to be in there, or at least implied...

How about "F-Art?"

We can pronounce it "Fart" and appeal to our sophomoric senses of humours!

The only problem is deciding which group gets to call itself that, as I'm sure all us Old Farts want F-Art for our side   kiss

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
Madman
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2013, 10:52:00 PM »

How about "F-Art?"

I could live with that... But saying that probably qualifies me as one of "us Old Farts"... Oh wait. No. That would be the other side. Or not? Maybe we should iterate this post for a while and see if it escapes to infinity...

P.S: Whatever happened to the serious discussion about what's real Fractal Art when we restarted this topic? I mean, isn't it all about the answer to the ultimate question about life, the universe and fractals?

All I want is a warm bed, a kind word and unlimited power (Ashleigh Brilliant)
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2013, 12:30:59 AM »

P.S: Whatever happened to the serious discussion about what's real Fractal Art when we restarted this topic? I mean, isn't it all about the answer to the ultimate question about life, the universe and fractals?

Oh, OK...

If you want to get back to a serious discussion  (I just thought it ran it's course) - I shall use, and always have used, the term Fractal Art as the Broad and General, all-encompassing, umbrella term for the genre.

All images then fall into their little sub-sets like 3D, 2D, One Formula, Hybrids, Layered, filtered / post-worked, Composited into multi-media, collaged, and all the other variants.

They are All Fractal Art, and the sub-classifications are what we are discussing here.

The issue arises when one sub-class wants the broadest and most general term to to be exclusive to it, when in fact that is unreasonable, given the nature of Set Theory. 

A set cannot be a proper subset of itself.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: