Logo by mclarekin - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit the official fractalforums.com Youtube Channel

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 20, 2024, 10:05:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: QBIX - cubic Mandelbrot set deep zoom animation  (Read 4120 times)
HPDZ
Iterator

« on: May 23, 2010, 04:51:07 PM »

Finally, after months of work and delays, my new cubic deep-zoom animation is done! This zooms to a final size of 5.9e-33 and uses frame interpolation techniques to create 5000 video frames at 960x540 from 181 larger master images. This is the first video rendered with my new 64-bit high-precision arithmetic code, which resulted in significant speed improvements over the previous SSE2-based code.

The web site link is here: www.hpdz.net/Animations/Qbix.htm. High-definition, 10Mbps-encoded MP4 and WMV files can be downloaded from the web site.

and here it is on YouTube if you need instant gratification:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/uDWjd_1ICpM&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/uDWjd_1ICpM&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1</a>
Try switching to 480p playback; the original video uploaded to YouTube was 960x540 at 10Mbps.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 05:00:09 PM by HPDZ, Reason: Added comment about 480p » Logged

Zoom deeply.
www.hpdz.net
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 10:03:50 PM »

Pretty.

I thought you were reporting impressive render times from your interpolation technique before...  now they're Faster?

When will we get to play?  Do you plan a release of some sort of program?

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
HPDZ
Iterator

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 10:14:39 PM »

Thanks. Glad you like it.

The frame interpolation component of my software was not changed for this particular project, just the core arithmetic code. I converted it to use the 64-bit instruction set. That cut down the number of instructions by over 50% and reduced the number of memory accesses as well, since in 64-bit mode the CPU has a bunch more registers available. The time savings -- and the grief of this adventure -- is described on www.hpdz.net/TechInfo_64bits.htm.

I probably won't be releasing the software any time soon. It's really not fit for public consumption. It's got some slick code in it, but in terms of its user interface, well, it's like a big V-12 engine bolted to a bench in a lab with a bunch of wires and hoses running all over the place.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 02:39:52 PM by HPDZ, Reason: Fixed incorrect link » Logged

Zoom deeply.
www.hpdz.net
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 11:24:16 PM »

i would like to try the zoom interpolation method mit 3d bulbs, would that be appliable?

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
HPDZ
Iterator

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 12:55:42 AM »

I will admit I am very inexperienced with 3D graphics techniques, but my initial impression is that the frame interpolation technique can probably be applied to the 3D case. Just calculate the 3D image to a higher number of voxels, then use the same kind of interpolation techniques in 3D that you would use in 2D to generate the video frames from the high-resolution master image.

However, the economics of the computation saving may not be as favorable in 3 dimensions as they are in 2 dimensions. To have a net saving in computation time, in the very simplest analysis, the condition

\frac{b^n}M < 1

has to be true, where n is the number of dimensions, M is the number of video frames between master images, and b is the magnification ratio of video frames spanned by a particular master image (always greater than 1). That gets harder to do as n gets bigger.

This technique, by the way, is nothing new. It was described by Peitgen in The Science of Fractal Images, pp 214-218. I believe it's used in several commercial fractal programs.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 01:03:32 AM by HPDZ, Reason: Made condition look nice with LaTeX » Logged

Zoom deeply.
www.hpdz.net
reesej2
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 02:30:25 AM »

Beautiful! How long DID it take to render all of that?
HPDZ
Iterator

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 02:44:05 AM »

It took just under 200 hours on a 2.4 GHz quad-core Core2 system to make the 181 master images, each of which is about 1805x1019 pixels (some are 1 or 2 pixels less in each direction).

Zoom deeply.
www.hpdz.net
kram1032
Fractal Senior

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 03:08:30 AM »

really beautiful smiley
HPDZ
Iterator

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 03:16:21 AM »

Thanks, kram1032.

Zoom deeply.
www.hpdz.net
aluminumstudios
Conqueror

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2010, 11:09:33 AM »

That's really beautiful.  I always look forward to your new works.

I read on your site about moving over to 64 bit and such.  It sounds like it was quite a challenge but worth it!
teamfresh
Fractal Lover

nothing is everything

fractalco
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2010, 01:10:48 AM »

I loved it. very nice Azn

cbuchner1
Fractal Phenom

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2010, 01:40:16 PM »

that link appears to be broken
aluminumstudios
Conqueror

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2010, 12:24:29 AM »

There is a link from his QBIX page that works:  http://www.hpdz.net/TechInfo_64bits.htm
HPDZ
Iterator

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2010, 02:54:27 PM »

Sorry for the broken link. I fixed it in the post above.

It does make good reading -- I documented a lot of practical details I had to suffer through as I migrated not only to Windows 7, but also to recompiling for x64 this old 32-bit C++ application with heavy use of inline assembly code. Anyone thinking of porting code to x64 might find this page useful.

Zoom deeply.
www.hpdz.net
teamfresh
Fractal Lover

nothing is everything

fractalco
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2010, 01:13:48 AM »

the more i watch it the more i like it.  cheesy

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: