Logo by mauxuam - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Support us via Flattr FLATTR Link

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 20, 2024, 12:06:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Constructive Criticism  (Read 6428 times)
jwm-art
Iterator

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2010, 03:08:20 AM »

[changed my mind and deleted]
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 03:16:53 AM by jwm-art » Logged
Bent-Winged Angel
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2010, 02:12:46 PM »

[changed my mind and deleted]
lol just to let us know!

Since this group is filled with geeks it is important to remember that Geeks often take interest in the microcosmic details of life, such as noticing that your present situation is much like one from a news article or novel. Nerds will be seemingly uninterested in the details of daily life, being more focused on the macroscopic, such as scientific possibilities and the future of humankind. Many are much less interested & or capable of handling daily social graces & being PC.
This would also apply to this thread http://www.fractalforums.com/discuss-fractal-forums/making-it-personal/
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 02:15:24 PM by Bent-Winged Angel » Logged

Tex Arcana
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2011, 03:47:30 PM »

Personally, I could care less one way or the other whether comments are issued on the fractal creations I make.  I am usually just playing around, testing the limitations and abilities of a specific application.  Occasionally I render something I feel is interesting, and then I save it for displaying later on.  But most of these never see the light of day, so to speak.
That's kind of the way I see it.  This is just an occasional hobby for me and I'm just happy if someone has taken the time to comment on my images, regardless of what they have to say.  It's better to be spoken about than not spoken about, as Oscar Wilde once said.

As a user, rather than an originator of fractal software (as well as being my own worst critic), I often see myself as being merely a Discoverer of fractal patterns.  Sometimes I feel the beauty I see in them is a personal thing; other times I think it's something that will appeal to others.  In the latter situation I find I usually have to do some "work", in order to isolate and bring out the key attraction I see in a fractal; through framing, composition, lighting, colouring, etc. - but I'm still not sure at what point it becomes "Art".

I commented in the Making It Personal thread, that I believe negative opinion can ultimately be a constructive thing; but it's important to frame it in the correct terms.  One way is to cushion it by mentioning any positives first.  Another technique can be to frame it as a question, e.g. "I wonder what would happen, if you changed the colour scheme to something a bit more neutral?"

£0.02
Bent-Winged Angel
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2011, 04:10:28 PM »

Framing as a question is an excellent idea!  Does not put the artist on the defensive.

Erisian
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2011, 11:05:11 PM »

My usual approach is to first of all say what I like about the work then say something like "That might look better if..." remembering of course that this might be simply a matter of preference.  At the end of the day, the artist is always right.  His motive is to achieve something that he is happy with, not to please other people.
Tglad
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2011, 11:37:30 PM »

followed by a nice word or two after the suggestion. It's called a compliment sandwich and is common if a bit manipulative:

"Your building plan is really good, I love it, such great details,
Just a minor grumble, if you could add some windows, and maybe remove the stilts...
Otherwise thanks again, really good effort"
Erisian
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2011, 11:41:37 PM »

I'm not sure about manipulative if your motives are to ensure the other party doesn't feel put down.  That's just respect.
Tglad
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2011, 12:44:13 AM »

A bit manipulative, not a lot, but a bit. Since you are basically providing the compliments in order to get them to change the feature you want.
I find it more genuine to say what you think.
Of course, if you genuinely like something then give the compliment, but just to sugar coat a criticism is a little condescending, like you think they can't handle a little negative feedback.

Compliment sandwich:
"Mandelbulb3d is really great, I love it I love it,
The only thing it needs is a little colour palette editor, then it would be perfect,
Thanks again and good job"

In this case the reviewer might indeed really like mandelbulb3d, however they are probably also using the compliments to get their request, so this one is semi-genuine.
Erisian
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2011, 12:56:13 AM »

HMMM Depends on your motive again.  I wasn't thinking of sugar coating the criticism, just phrasing in a way that doesn't come across as "that's wrong", but as "I think this would be better".  I was also thinking in terms of somebody's artwork for example, not trying to get something out of them.  It could be used manipulatively though, I agree.
pfrancke
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2011, 05:44:48 AM »

honesty
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: