Logo by MarkJayBee - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Check out the originating "3d Mandelbulb" thread here

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 19, 2024, 08:06:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Constructive Criticism  (Read 6427 times)
Bent-Winged Angel
Fractal Bachius

« on: May 17, 2010, 05:53:10 PM »

I was pondering this topic.  Is there a "best" way to ask for it?  Give it?

Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 08:06:06 PM »

I'd just post the image, mention what software made it, and ask.

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

nahee_enterprises Nahee.Enterprises NaheeEnterprise
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 11:36:11 PM »

I was pondering this topic.  Is there a "best" way to ask for it? 

The straight forward method is the best.   Just ask for it!!     smiley
But be careful for what you wish for, you may get it.    evil

Give it? 

Now giving criticism, constructive or otherwise, is a whole different matter.  Two people can say the same thing about an image, but get viewed by the "artist" as meaning two different things, all depends on whom the criticizer is.

And then there are those people that cannot stand any constructive criticism, for they will always feel it to be a personal attack against them and their creations.  (Heaven forbid somebody makes a non-constructive criticism.)

Personally, I could care less one way or the other whether comments are issued on the fractal creations I make.  I am usually just playing around, testing the limitations and abilities of a specific application.  Occasionally I render something I feel is interesting, and then I save it for displaying later on.  But most of these never see the light of day, so to speak.

Bent-Winged Angel
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 03:13:32 PM »

EXCEPTS TAKEN FROM ARTICLE....
Text copyright Jim Erhardt.
All rights reserved.
For those posting an image, it's helpful state what your intended goal or purpose was for taking the image (environmental portrait, artistic rendering of subject, documentation, etc.).  It's also helpful if you briefly describe what it is that you like and/or dislike about the image.  By providing this information up front, it gives those who are writing the critiques some indication of any specific feedback you're looking for.  In essence, writing your own "mini-critique" (just a few lines) as part of the original post gets the thread off on the right foot.

Many times, the technical quality of the images posted in galleries is so high that some feel as though they have nothing constructive to offer.  In this case, simply commenting on the aesthetic qualities and/or the image's emotional impact makes for a worthy response.

As a viewer offering your own critique, do not argue the validity of another viewer's comments (see the second paragraph under "The Poster's Responsibility" above)!  Instead, offer your own point-of-view on the issue in an objective manner.

While much has been made of the "wow" responses that offer nothing more than superlatives, there is no reason not to post such comments!  Whether it's a photographic image, a new lens or a gorgeous sunset, sometimes "wow" is all that comes to mind!  A little ego stroking is not such a bad thing either…

Learning to write an effective critique is a terrific way to learn as well.  Study those critiques that you feel are most effective, and use them as an example to follow when writing your own.  Additionally, in a community-like atmosphere such as the NPN forums, those who post critiques are more likely to receive them on their own images.

Simply studying the images on display, and reading the comments posted is an incredible learning experience in itself.  By following these simple guidelines and avoiding some of the common mistakes, image critique can be an effective learning tool for all involved.

I found this all to be very helpful.   wink
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 09:36:50 AM by Nahee_Enterprises » Logged

Wel lEnTaoed
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 04:20:35 PM »

I believe there is a skill to both asking & recieving.  I appreciate it.  But do not think I know the right way to ask specifics.
Thunderwave
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 06:26:36 PM »

I wonder sometimes if people have time to critique anymore.  Life moves too fast for someone to take time to carefully critique everything.  When someone does take time it's probably because the image is worth it to them to critique.  Asking for a critique is best when you feel the item is worth enough to critique.  Also having no response is a silent critique in my opinion, especially if you asked for one.  What all matters is how you honestly feel about the image yourself.  You are your worst critique.  If you just pushed a button and "wham" there's your image, then you know if it's worthy of a critique or not.
Bent-Winged Angel
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 03:29:32 PM »

Not having the time?  Or just not caring to be helpful.  Beginners here like myself I believe appreciate "feedback"  Many times I for one do not ( for a while) even understand the feedback!  But over time sinks in.  embarrass  It's ashame that many newbies here seem to disappear. In terms of "worthy of posting?" I feel we get more from the "less than perfect" Otherwise your just speaking to the chior & feeding ego!

The Rev
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 05:25:53 AM »

I have created fractal images that one person finds "just okay" and another finds "amazing".  Personally, I prefer the latter to critique my work, but when it comes down to it, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  Some people like my work more than others.  The important thing (and I think I'm just really starting to learn this) is that the most important opinion is my own.  My judgement is just as good as anyone elses, but that's just the beginning.  The other side of it is, knowing your own opinion is the most important, to create work for yourself as the audience.  Do you REALLY like what you created?  Or are you trying to fulfill some concept of "good art" or "quality work" as if there is some objective standard more important than your own.

I think inspiration comes most easily when the artist creates for him/herself as the audience.  Let others think what they like, listen to their critiques for ideas that might not have occured to you, but don't let them make you second guess your own judgement.  No one can tell you that what YOU think is best really isn't, unless you're prepared to let them.  I think that's the real liberation that comes with being an artist.  Putting aside the pursuit of satisfaction through the approval of others, and going straight for the joy of beholding your own creations.

The Rev
Thunderwave
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 06:36:14 AM »

I have created fractal images that one person finds "just okay" and another finds "amazing".  Personally, I prefer the latter to critique my work, but when it comes down to it, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  Some people like my work more than others.  The important thing (and I think I'm just really starting to learn this) is that the most important opinion is my own.  My judgement is just as good as anyone elses, but that's just the beginning.  The other side of it is, knowing your own opinion is the most important, to create work for yourself as the audience.  Do you REALLY like what you created?  Or are you trying to fulfill some concept of "good art" or "quality work" as if there is some objective standard more important than your own.

I think inspiration comes most easily when the artist creates for him/herself as the audience.  Let others think what they like, listen to their critiques for ideas that might not have occured to you, but don't let them make you second guess your own judgement.  No one can tell you that what YOU think is best really isn't, unless you're prepared to let them.  I think that's the real liberation that comes with being an artist.  Putting aside the pursuit of satisfaction through the approval of others, and going straight for the joy of beholding your own creations.

The Rev

WOW! That is well said!  You truly spoke from the heart.  I felt it.
Thank you for sharing this!  It is what I always felt, but could never say so eloquently.
The Rev
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010, 02:32:20 PM »

Thanks. cheesy

The Rev
Wel lEnTaoed
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2010, 07:35:45 PM »

Sometimes it's easier to criticize than be correct. wink
Bent-Winged Angel
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2010, 03:55:17 PM »

Interesting that some will critique without being asked. While at times one will ask for a critue with no response huh?

Thunderwave
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2010, 08:42:13 PM »

Lately, the critiques I am getting here are in no way valuable to my work and intentions.  In fact they are just getting misinterpreted and causing a little bit of frustration undecided.  Makes me want to post my works less and less here.  I may just post to my own site and picasa and leave it at that. 
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2010, 09:29:54 PM »

Lately, the critiques I am getting here are in no way valuable to my work and intentions.  In fact they are just getting misinterpreted and causing a little bit of frustration undecided.  Makes me want to post my works less and less here.  I may just post to my own site and picasa and leave it at that.  

That implies you have specific areas of concern about your work.

General critiques are not going to address those.  It may help to ask specific questions about specific aspects of the work.  And maybe ask in places other than the image posting areas.  If you want help, and not just critiques (which are ultimately not very useful, I agree) try asking in Help and Support.  I think you'll get better results that way.  Otherwise you'll just be asking for opinions, which vary from person to person and don't mean anything!  The only opinion of your work that matters is yours.

Requesting Generalized Critiques or asking "how do I make this better" will only get you opinions, but asking more targeted questions (like "how do I get the coloring to ..."  or "can I get rid of this ..." type stuff) will likely be more along the lines of what you seek.

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
Thunderwave
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2010, 10:45:50 PM »

Lately, the critiques I am getting here are in no way valuable to my work and intentions.  In fact they are just getting misinterpreted and causing a little bit of frustration undecided.  Makes me want to post my works less and less here.  I may just post to my own site and picasa and leave it at that.  

That implies you have specific areas of concern about your work.

General critiques are not going to address those.  It may help to ask specific questions about specific aspects of the work.  And maybe ask in places other than the image posting areas.  If you want help, and not just critiques (which are ultimately not very useful, I agree) try asking in Help and Support.  I think you'll get better results that way.  Otherwise you'll just be asking for opinions, which vary from person to person and don't mean anything!  The only opinion of your work that matters is yours.

Requesting Generalized Critiques or asking "how do I make this better" will only get you opinions, but asking more targeted questions (like "how do I get the coloring to ..."  or "can I get rid of this ..." type stuff) will likely be more along the lines of what you seek.

Thanks for the suggestions.  I like them and will do so when I want a critique.  I actually never asked for critiques.

Like Bent Winged said, I get them when I don't ask for them. I did ask twice for help on programming and you did respond to the Strange Attractor Explorer program of mine (Which is still down).  I thank you very much for that.

Most of the images I post aren't even in rate-my-fractal categories, unless it's M3D, because I know most people are over the 2D images.  This is another reason why I feel I should not bother posting them(2D images).   I just feels like things are getting personal here . . . not that it's bad to get personal.  I just feel I need to say more about the problem of responding to something without too much concern for the reader, receiver or the renderer.

I actually rarely tell someone I don't like something, but it's my personal belief that if you don't like something and you weren't asked for input then don't say anything at all.  Now if you feel you have every right to say you don't like it then at least realize that this person is human and does have feelings.  If we all should be in a feelingless world then there would be no art, music, love, or kids thus society would diminish to extinction.

If someone feels they can say whatever they want whenever they want then the receiver of such words can say whatever they want whenever they want right back at them.

All I'm asking for is a little thought before they click the send or post button.  I really reread most of my responses twice to three times before I press "post" (mainly when I have something important to say and to look at grammar and spellings [not always but I try really hard]). wink

I'm not picking any one out.  I just have had enough people telling me they don't like my images without any concern for how I would receive that (and again without me even asking for their input); but yes, this is the world-wide-web where anything goes, only regulated by those who feel some rules should be set in place.  I am one to speak out for such a suggestion (not rules mainly but just a little more consideration for someone's feelings) .  Whether this takes hold or not, at least someone will read this and maybe change the way they post critiques when not even asked for them.

I could go on forever about internet etiquette, but I won't because I don't feel the need right now.  Maybe later I will make a whole post on a blog somewhere....I'm sure there's enough of them out there anyways. It's just common sense.  I know, common sense is not so common....
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: