Logo by Kaliyuga - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit us on facebook

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 26, 2024, 06:39:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: PRESENTATION is everything  (Read 5050 times)
Bent-Winged Angel
Fractal Bachius

« on: May 13, 2010, 03:03:32 PM »

Has anyone hear thought of how they "present" there art?  Such as using a movie maker?  IE: WMM, imovie for macs? How important is it?  Do you feel the work should stand on it's own?

Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 04:09:02 PM »

Presentation is unrelated (in my view) to whatever software is used to compile it.

It has much more to do with the Bad Jokes used to introduce the stuff!!   evil

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
Bent-Winged Angel
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 04:24:44 PM »

I also find that music is very helpful; to tell a story.  Packaging of product.  I do feel it helps immensely.  Providing the "presentation" is not overdone as to take away from the "actual" art.   Software examples were just that examples..

ker2x
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 04:30:14 PM »

A well written text associated with the artwork is always a plus.
In the same way that an illustration associated with a text (where the text is the artwork) is also a plus.
Or a music with a movie.

Unfortunally, i'm bad at writting critics and reviews in my native langage, and even worse in english. smiley

often times... there are other approaches which are kinda crappy until you put them in the context of parallel machines
(en) http://www.blog-gpgpu.com/ , (fr) http://www.keru.org/ ,
Sysadmin & DBA @ http://www.over-blog.com/
Bent-Winged Angel
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 05:37:42 PM »

Examples..

Just plain video...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/WKkJE3IEOWM&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/WKkJE3IEOWM&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1</a>

2nd one I would call a movie, being that it tells a story.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/GJiDzk76TVA&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/GJiDzk76TVA&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1</a>

Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 10:45:30 PM »

2nd one I would call a movie, being that it tells a story.

OK, I suspect I am being dense again...

How does the second one tell any sort of story at all?

It has titles and a soundtrack - but I got no story whatsoever from the video...

Of course, I couldn't make out a single word of the vocals!  Was that in English?  I honestly couldn't tell

I do think titles help, but to be honest - most music people put to these things is too difficult for me to listen to  (I'm not a fan of popular music at all, and actually quite closed minded to almost all "hard edged" music across the board!)  (Nahee_Enterprises did the best job with his Carmina Burana excerpt!)  (I usually just make a midi file out of something totally bizarre).

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
kram1032
Fractal Senior

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2010, 02:31:51 PM »

Well... The title basically says what that person sings...
I didn't get it all either, but he basically sings something about spiderman.

I also don't agree, that that second one features any story, but music in general does help, if it's bearable music smiley (I'm probably not as picky as Sockratease with that, though)

Those two clips where rahter boring to me. That fractal is nice for stills but those jumpy zooms where odd...
Presentation counts and here it's not done the best way possible, for that particular fractal...
aluminumstudios
Conqueror

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2010, 02:38:57 PM »

I think presentation is very important.  A little appropriate text, music, or editing certainly helps set or re-enforce the feelings and ideas portrayed and are good in my opinion.  I think however it's important to not force or overproduce it.  Like anything else at that point it can become "bad art."

Bent-Winged Angel
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2010, 08:52:16 PM »

All good thought provoking responses! 

I started this post because I was rather surprised after joining these forums that after members spend soo much time creating such great art that they really spend soo lil with presentation. I find it helps getting the mood/feeling across.

For those who do not "get it" that would be my problem for bad "presentation" or looking for a more specific audience?  Less generic?  For example I post this in my BWA movie makers group.  (members are not really familar with fractal art.)  One member knows of musical artist & just happens to love the group.  Needle ina haystack?  I have learned that either well known vocals or insrtrumentals do better in general.  If you found it boring.. well not for me when I 1st taught myslef this! BTW this was just an example of presentation, not really asking for critique of video itself.   Do not have to like message but getting it is important.  The song is by the "CURE"

Also another thought (topic) this brings to mind is whether you create more for yourself or others?

Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2010, 09:14:38 PM »

The Cure?  No idea who that is, but I ignore popular culture for the most part.

Also another thought (topic) this brings to mind is whether you create more for yourself or others?

I create for myself exclusively.  Except when doing Commissioned Art, then I create based on the client's ideas or else I wont get paid!!

Fractal Art is a sideline and rarely leads to paying commissions - but it can happen  afro

However, when making the sorts of stuff I post here it is all about what I enjoy and what I find Aesthetic.  It's nice when others have comments (good, bad, or indifferent - I appreciate the fact that they took the time to react at all).  But the nature of those comments has to strike me as something which I personally feel would be interesting if they are going to effect the way I go about making Art!   surfing

Edit - Blame my lousy internet computer and it's built in speaker  (yes, Singular!) for not being able to tell if that singing was even in English.  I don't use my computer for music or it would have a decent sound set-up  evil
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 09:17:26 PM by Sockratease » Logged

Bent-Winged Angel
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2010, 05:30:45 PM »

I agree about doing this for myself.  However I do love to share with others & get comments, constructive criticism.   Definately the asthetics of it.   I'm, probably more into the "Presentation" part more than others, being that I got into this at about the same time that I got into movie making/editing.  Shame you do not have good music to listen to on PC..  I could not survive without my music. Just about all; genres

Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2010, 05:51:07 PM »

Shame you do not have good music to listen to on PC..  I could not survive without my music. Just about all; genres

Oh - Don't worry about that!

I have a REAL Stereo System for Music   afro

Complete with a Bang and Olufsen Linear Tracking Turntable  cheesy

I like my music so much I could never ruin it by playing it on a computer.   sweet music  And I like just about all music too - it's only the vast majority of Rock and Popular Music which I can't stand!

Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

nahee_enterprises Nahee.Enterprises NaheeEnterprise
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2010, 12:04:11 AM »

Has anyone hear thought of how they "present" there art?  Such as using a movie maker?
    IE: WMM, imovie for macs?  How important is it?  Do you feel the work should stand on it's own?

When I started hosting Jim Muth's "Fractal Of The Day" (FOTD), I would surround the image with a fabricated picture frame.  This "frame" was nothing more than the TABLE element used in a particular way in the HTML code:
       http://www.nahee.com/FOTD/
It was colored to what I thought looked best with that day's image.  And I have been doing it the same way ever since.  The web pages are very simplistic, not much has changed since it started in 1997.  But, I thought it gave a better presentation to each FOTD.

My "newest" web pages for fractals, have no background image/color, no music, no fancy banners, no javascript, basically just black text on white with thumbnail images for clicking.  Very Plain !!!!  In fact, the majority of the images do not even use fancy names, they are usually just numbered images.

But when it comes to videos, if the animations are really good, then music is not really necessary.  And besides, most times I would prefer to choose music that I would rather listen to than what was recorded with the video.  The problem with fractal animations, somebody usually just chooses what they would like to listen to.  If these videos were being created by Hollywood, then the music would be specially written for every scene and frame, and it would be made to invoke an emotion to match what was being viewed.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 04:51:43 AM by Nahee_Enterprises » Logged

Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

nahee_enterprises Nahee.Enterprises NaheeEnterprise
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2010, 12:20:22 AM »

.... - most music people put to these things is too difficult for me to listen to 
    (I'm not a fan of popular music at all, and actually quite closed minded to almost
    all "hard edged" music across the board!)  (Nahee_Enterprises did the best job with
    his Carmina Burana excerpt!)

Thank you for noticing my attempt with this video:
    Short Mandelbulb3d Video
While initially testing the Mandelbulb3D program, I was playing around with the animation options.  I wanted to see how long it took me to render about a minute worth of viewing, at around 25-frames per second.  Just did some simple rotations, and it got my mind thinking about space stations and planet eaters.  That was when the movement "Fortuna Imperatrix Mundi (O Fortuna)" from Carmina Burana, the scenic cantata composed by Carl Orff, came into my head.  So I decided to create a quick video to match the music.

I think more fractal animations should be rendered to match up with a particular soundtrack, than the other way around.

Bent-Winged Angel
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2010, 01:37:52 PM »

Nahee I really enjoyed that! vewry cool.. Music definately made it. EPIC!!!  Now put title/credits.... tease

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: