Logo by Kaliyuga - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Did you know ? you can use LaTex inside Postings on fractalforums.com!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 20, 2024, 05:05:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: ECCENTRIC ARTISTS  (Read 6562 times)
Bent-Winged Angel
Fractal Bachius

« on: April 19, 2010, 09:09:37 PM »

Does anyone think that the "eccentricity" of an artist is equal to talent level?

Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 10:33:37 PM »

No.

But I do find that eccentric art, when done with a modicum of talent too, is more amusing than mainstream and "vanilla" art!

Amusement value is not in any way equal to talent level, but it sure makes things more interesting. 

I enjoy both the technically excellent and the just plain silly.  I may even enjoy a good dose of silliness more than a technically excellent piece, but the level of talent (which is what you asked about) is a difficult thing to quantify.

Especially with such disparate subjects afro

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
Bent-Winged Angel
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 08:43:38 PM »

I was thinking of someone like Salvadore Dali. Talent is in the eye of the beholder?   You also answered my next possible question..  IE : level of technical dificulty does not nessecarily mean more appeasing to the eye.   Do you think that eccentricity usually = talent?

Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 11:02:10 PM »

I was thinking of someone like Salvadore Dali. Talent is in the eye of the beholder?   You also answered my next possible question..  IE : level of technical dificulty does not nessecarily mean more appeasing to the eye.   Do you think that eccentricity usually = talent?

Personally, I feel the question cannot properly be asked (let alone answered!) because I think Eccentricity *IS* a talent. 

It's like asking if Skill usually equals Talent.

These things are all a matter of personal taste anyhow, so no two people are likely to have exactly the same answers...

Now if you asked "Does Eccentricity usually make Art more enjoyable?" - I would still have to say - "It depends!"

I have seen some bits of eccentricity trying to pass themselves off as "Modern Art" - but which I disliked.  And yet, much of my Very Favorite Stuff is unquestionably Eccentric.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
hobold
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 04:06:31 PM »

Eccentricity, literally "off center", means that a person is more likely to do unexpected and surprising things. I guess this carries over to art, and a such it is a quality of the produced works.

However, not everything unexpected is really an improvement of the state of the art. Eccentricity can make it easier to explore new avenues, but it does not inherently make these new avenues worthy of exploration. It still takes the good judgement of an artist, and the skill in the relevant craft, to complete an overall work of art.

Well, that's just an opinion. And I am not even sure if I am always following my own criteria. More often than not, the novelty of an idea is enough for me, and I neglect art & craft. But then again, I don't really aim to evoke a response from an audience, as art does.
Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

nahee_enterprises Nahee.Enterprises NaheeEnterprise
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 08:11:43 AM »

Does anyone think that the "eccentricity" of an artist is equal to talent level?

As a general answer to a basically general question, I would have to say "No".  There are too many factors and definitions that need to be explored and explained to give any more of an answer.

For example, what may be eccentric in one culture, race, or whatever, could be quite normal in another.

Then there is the questionable discussion of "artist", since that leads to what is "art".  Not to mention what constitutes levels of "talent".  People have been going back and forth on these issues for longer than anyone truly knows.

Bent-Winged Angel
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 05:58:42 PM »

I was also pondering the titles of the programs we use such as ChaosPro. Ohh & we have the deviant art sight.  Both terms could be used to describe eccentric.  Maybe those who become artists have had lives that are deviant, chaotic? Sooo they/we need to find an outlet to express themselves. Talous Latrec? (sp)  How's that for dime store psych?  tease

Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 06:12:34 PM »

... not everything unexpected is really an improvement of the state of the art. Eccentricity can make it easier to explore new avenues, but it does not inherently make these new avenues worthy of exploration.

If every piece had to improve the state of the art, very few new works would be made!

...But then again, I don't really aim to evoke a response from an audience, as art does.

That is the key to Art!

A friend of mine, who is a professional writer, says that he'd rather have people screaming what crap he's producing than have no reaction at all!  After all; A reaction is a reaction, and better than nothing.

Bent-Winged Angel
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 06:29:18 PM »

I believe that most artists want to provoke a response. Good or bad.  Better than being ignored.<a href="http://" target="_blank">http://</a>

Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2010, 02:00:45 AM »

Code:
...Good or bad.  Better than being ignored.[flash=200,200][/flash]

Did you mean to have a flash file there?

The empty player showed up for me, so I looked at your post - and the flash tag seems to be there, but no URL is specified!

Did you just click the icon by accident, or misunderstand how it works?  (You can edit in a URL if you want to display flash animations here hosted independently).

Bent-Winged Angel
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2010, 05:26:51 PM »

embarrass Curious not really knowing..  Thought I would give it a try.  Thanks for explaining! lol

Bent-Winged Angel
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2010, 05:29:24 PM »

BTW I was rather disappointed with outcome.  Anti climatic?  snore

Bent-Winged Angel
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2010, 04:08:42 PM »

someone mentioned something about provoking a response?  I was pondering if that's what "eccentric artists" tend to do also with personal style.  For example I used to while living in  a rather rural area... were a hooded black cape as a winter coat.  Also being that I'm disabled I would use a rather large snake walking stick.  Eccentric?  Also as previously mentioned depends on culture.

Now for 2nd part of question... Do any of you think your eccentric.. (personal style wise)

Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2010, 05:47:01 PM »

Now for 2nd part of question... Do any of you think your eccentric.. (personal style wise)

I'm not eccentric.

Everybody else is!!   afro

Bent-Winged Angel
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2010, 05:58:12 PM »

AHHH uniquely normal?  grin

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: