Logo by Maya - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit us on facebook

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 20, 2024, 05:36:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Fractal Generators  (Read 16103 times)
Description: Question about the programs available
Bent-Winged Angel
Fractal Bachius

« on: April 14, 2010, 03:23:12 PM »

Are they all created equal?  Do you have a preference?  For example is one better for beginners than another?

Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 04:04:35 PM »

It's all a matter of taste.

I don't much care for UltraFractal, but it's touted as one of the best!

My favorites are Chaoscope, ChaosPro, Mutatorkammer, and I'm rapidly growing fonder and fonder of Mandelbulb 3D.

All are suited for non-mathematicians, but the more you learn, the more you can do  afro

If you're on a Mac, Fractalworks is a great one!

Just try as many as you can get and see which ones get along best with your way of thinking...
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 04:08:19 PM by Sockratease » Logged

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
Bent-Winged Angel
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 08:05:17 PM »

My 1st attempt at creating fract art was with apophysis.  Could not get the hang of it. Seems limited to just flames.  No info out there.  just screwed up my PC by downloading anything that could possibly help.  Then I came across ChaosPro.  Slow learning curve! But can be done even without being a mathmetician.  I have decided to stick with it (just using Chaospro & nothing else. )  Seems it has much to offer.  Never truly master it all. 

Bent-Winged Angel
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 08:14:01 PM »

A while ago I put together a sampler video of what could be done using ChaosPro.. in an attempt to get others interested in a social networking site. 
No one seems to want to do the work to learn it!

Anyway here it is..

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/9MoPw8SGroQ&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/9MoPw8SGroQ&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1</a>

hyperben2
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 11:14:47 PM »

Xenodream is my favourite, using devices called holons instead of entering countless values is most suitable for ol'explorers like me. And I can build some fractal architecture, perfect for a stone carver...

I'm also becoming a mandelbulb 3D nerd... thanks to Jesse^^
Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

nahee_enterprises Nahee.Enterprises NaheeEnterprise
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 02:46:06 AM »

Are they all created equal?  Do you have a preference?
For example is one better for beginners than another?

They are NOT all created equal, some are geared for a specific type of fractal, a few for their graphic editor abilities, some for their variety and flexibility, and others for their ease of understanding and use.

Most people do have a preference.  Out of a few thousand people I have asked, here is the result of that tally:
  http://www.Nahee.com/Census/Tried-Use_Counts.html
  http://www.Nahee.com/Census/Most_Used_Counts.html

And "yes" to your last question.  But...
  • What is it that the beginner is wanting to do and know??
  • How old is the beginner??
  • What is their current knowledge level??
  • Do they want to learn more math, or just create nice images and videos??

My 1st attempt at creating fract art was with Apophysis.
Could not get the hang of it.  Seems limited to just flames.  ......
Then I came across ChaosPro.  .....  Seems it has much to offer.

ChaosPro is one of the better FREE applications available.  And there are things it can do that some of the PurchaseWare applications can not.  So, have fun with it for as long as you can, and make sure you keep up with all the updates that come out.     wink

« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 03:05:10 AM by Nahee_Enterprises » Logged

Bent-Winged Angel
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 03:54:34 PM »

Thanks for the reminder on keeping up with the updates on ChaosPro.  Nahee!  You mentioned several inportant factors when choosing.  My biggest problem when I stubbled into this spectacular art form was getting info.  PLus I'm self taught with lil "formal" ed.  As you mentioned do you want to creat just "pretty pics & vids"?? Sounds simplistic, Being that the more I learn the more I want to learn & grow with this art form.  Soo far I see no growing out of ChaoPro.  Their variety of applications is excellent.  Just need to figure out the things I want to do.  Love the "infinity" of it all!  Oh your right age does make a difference.  Particularly if looking for carreer opportunities. BTW I'm retired!   grin

Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2010, 03:13:03 AM »

My biggest problem when I stubbled into this spectacular art form was getting info.  .....
Sounds simplistic, Being that the more I learn the more I want to learn & grow with this art form.

There are many sources for information in both the use of specific applications and the general creation of various image types and/or editing of such.  I used to try and keep up with all of those, but now there are way too many to have a useful and full listing.  I find it much easier to ask the beginner what they are wanting to know, then either give an answer from my own knowledge or do a specific Internet search using Google to get links.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 08:33:53 PM by Nahee_Enterprises » Logged

chaospro
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2010, 08:05:42 PM »

Hi,

Thanks for the reminder on keeping up with the updates on ChaosPro.  Nahee!  You mentioned several inportant factors when choosing.  My biggest problem when I stubbled into this spectacular art form was getting info. 

Gnah! There shouldn't be that much updates for ChaosPro smiley And btw., if one does not encounter any problems and is not interested in the "new" features, one can still stick with the "old" version smiley

Anyway, if you have problems or need some info, just ask. If it's a general question, ask in a forum like here. If it's specific to a fractal generator, ask the author of the program. Normally they are quite willling to help and give some useful hints.

Kind regards,
Martin
Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2010, 08:43:30 PM »

Gnah!  There shouldn't be that much updates for ChaosPro  smiley 

Depends on what is going on in the fractal community.  There probably have been more updates to ChaosPro in the past several months, than there has over the past several years.  And all of these recent modifications and additions are most appreciated.   wink

Anyway, if you have problems or need some info, just ask. 

ChaosPro does have a couple of email lists that you can join:
    http://www.chaospro.de/maillists/chaospro.php
And has an online Wishlist for posting to:
    http://www.chaospro.de/forum/index.php?bn=chaospro_wl

But if you are wanting specifics about "fractal art" as a way of creating graphics, then that is a topic that is much too big for any Forum.  That is because of the word "art", which most everybody tends to have their own definition and way of viewing/creating such.

Bent-Winged Angel
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 04:36:01 PM »

I'm also becoming a mandelbulb 3D nerd... thanks to Jesse^^
[/quote]

I  love creating these "gismos" hmmnn never thought of myslef a a geek?  BTW who's Jesse?

Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2010, 01:32:06 AM »

BTW who's Jesse?

Jesse is the biggest Mandelbulb 3D nerd of them all!!

He wrote the program of the same name.

Get it in our Downloads section  (link up top!)   afro

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2010, 02:44:51 AM »

XenoDream is my favourite, using devices called holons instead of entering countless
values is most suitable for ol' explorers like me.  And I can build some fractal architecture,
perfect for a stone carver...

Yes, it is definitely one of my TOP fractal programs !!!    cheesy
(I can not actually put one application over another in my personal top ranking, because each has so much to offer.)

I'm also becoming a Mandelbulb 3D nerd...  thanks to Jesse^^

And this particular program is growing on me quite fast.  For a rather new application, I see this one having great potential to be something very special in the fractal community for a long time to come.    wink

Hypnogems
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2010, 08:34:22 PM »

A while ago I put together a sampler video of what could be done using ChaosPro.. in an attempt to get others interested in a social networking site.  
No one seems to want to do the work to learn it!
Anyway here it is..   .youtube.com/my_videos_edit?ns=1&video_id=9MoPw8SGroQ 

I'll have a look at that video tomorrow!  I started a social networking site for Incendia; it has a few members
but nothing much is happening there...sigh.  Where was your network?  I'd certainly join to learn how to use
ChaosPro better...
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 10:38:32 AM by Nahee_Enterprises » Logged
Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2010, 10:45:15 AM »

I started a social networking site for Incendia; it has a few members
but nothing much is happening there...sigh.  Where was your network?  
I'd certainly join to learn how to use ChaosPro better...  

The ChaosPro web site and the Help file (not to mention the email list) are probably your best places to start with for learning more about the application.  There are many examples available for download to see what others have created, and what settings they used.

And of course, there is always this Forum to ask questions in.     smiley

« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 01:23:35 PM by Nahee_Enterprises » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: