Logo by Maya - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Did you know ? you can use LaTex inside Postings on fractalforums.com!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 19, 2024, 05:30:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Mandelbox smooth iteration count  (Read 6214 times)
subblue
Conqueror

« on: April 14, 2010, 09:45:39 AM »

Due to the planer surfaces present in the Mandelbox structures colourings based on the iteration count can create noticeable shading bands, so I was wondering if anyone has any approaches for determining a smooth/fractional iteration count?

www.subblue.com - a blog exploring mathematical and generative graphics
David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 01:48:16 PM »

The method I use works well enough - but any method based on iteration count (smooth or not) has discontinuities in the Mandelbox.

I use:

smooth iter = iter + 1 + (log(0.5*log(@bailout))-log(0.5*log(|z|)))/log(log(|z|)/log(|zold|))

Except when bailout occurs on the first iteration when I use:

smooth iter = 1 + (log(0.5*log(@bailout))-log(0.5*log(|z|)))/log(estimated divergence)

Where @bailout is the value you test the square of the magnitude against and |z| is the square of the magnitude and |zold| is the square of the penultimate magnitude.

The meaning and purpose of life is to give life purpose and meaning.

http://www.fractalgallery.co.uk/
"Makin' Magic Music" on Jango
reesej2
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 12:40:58 AM »

I think Timeroot had something based on log base scale^2, but I don't remember the details and can't seem to find the thread.
Timeroot
Fractal Fertilizer

The pwnge.

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 01:32:08 AM »

I was trying to get something to work, with a concept similar to that of Mandelbrot's smoothed count. It worked pretty well, but it did require one parameter which seemed to behave somewhat mysteriously. The thread is at http://www.fractalforums.com/general-discussion-b77/smooth-coloring-of-2d-mandelbox-slices/

Someday, man will understand primary theory; how every aspect of our universe has come about. Then we will describe all of physics, build a complete understanding of genetic engineering, catalog all planets, and find intelligent life. And then we'll just puzzle over fractals for eternity.
David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 02:15:55 AM »

For the most part using the log of the divergence at bailout log(log(|z|/log(|zold|) fixes the issues - in just about any formula with divergence >1 (works best for divergence 2 or more, the closer you get to 1 the less accurate it is).

The meaning and purpose of life is to give life purpose and meaning.

http://www.fractalgallery.co.uk/
"Makin' Magic Music" on Jango
knighty
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 05:14:25 PM »

You can try this formula:

i + ( log( bailout ) - log( r2 ) ) * 0.5 / log(abs( scale ));

here:  r2 = x*x + y*y + z*z.
It works ok -for any scale- but needs a big bail out value, something like 1000000. It becomes less accurate far from the mandelbox. this depends in fact on the bailout value.

you can also use: r2=max(abs(x),max(abs(y),abs(z)))
In this case the "0.5" must be removed and you can use bailout=1000 for example.

Hope this helps smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: