Logo by mauxuam - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Support us via Flattr FLATTR Link

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 24, 2024, 10:49:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Has anyone ever had access to a supercomputer?  (Read 3073 times)
aluminumstudios
Conqueror

« on: April 08, 2010, 08:16:18 AM »

I'm sitting here bored at work, and know that when I get home my little core2duo won't be anywhere near finished with the task I gave it to render last night.

I was wondering if anyone here has ever had access to a super-computer (or a beefy computer larger than any consumer system - say 8 cores/cpus or more), and what was the most interesting thing you've done with it?

Also, this may sound a little off the wall and very unlikely, but does anyone know any institutions or companies where someone could potentially get remote access to a fat computer?   nerd  Probably without a good research proposal and a fat application for a computer-time grant it would be impossible...  I can daydream though ...

reesej2
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 08:29:11 AM »

Wow, I wish I had that kind of access... I have access to some of the servers at the University of Washington, but the best of those isn't noticeably faster than my machine and it automatically stops programs that run for longer than five hours. I know Sage has free servers... Someone suggested to me once that I could set up a network--get all the servers I have access to, give them each a piece of the program, and run it all at once. I figure that'd be a time savings of a factor of 16 or so, assuming it got done under the five-hour limit...

But, apart from that, I'm stuck using my poky little laptop... tongue stuck out sad
aluminumstudios
Conqueror

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 08:51:07 AM »

But, apart from that, I'm stuck using my poky little laptop... tongue stuck out sad

I hear you.  I currently live abroad on a fixed budget and a non-permanent basis, so I have to make do with my little laptop too...
ker2x
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 12:18:14 PM »

I work with big fat linux computer, i can play with them before they go in production.
I wish i could use them with utlrafractal, but there is no linux client for ultrafractal cry

often times... there are other approaches which are kinda crappy until you put them in the context of parallel machines
(en) http://www.blog-gpgpu.com/ , (fr) http://www.keru.org/ ,
Sysadmin & DBA @ http://www.over-blog.com/
hobold
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 04:13:33 PM »

The only supercomputer I ever had access to is so outdated today that it could well be beaten by a modern iPhone. smiley It was the size of a respectable fridge, and had hardware accelerated 3D graphics. It was from SGI, of course, and had the flamboyant name "Reality Engine".

We used it for pushing the envelope back then: rendering of volumetric data, hardware accelerated image processing; and we learned a lot about the pitfalls of multithreaded programming.
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 07:12:39 PM »

i have been working at the numerical simulation department at the university of bonn, germany ( INS )
they used to have a supercomputer in the top 100 list, it were a bit more than 128 celeron processors ( i think 144 )
i worked there from 2004 until 2008, and this information is from that time
http://wissrech.ins.uni-bonn.de/misc/album/

but nowadays, supercomputers work with cluster of gpus, i have seen 16 gpus running side by side, but this could
also be more now ... i am quite happy with my nvidia gts250 ... but looking for an update to enter terraflop areas cheesy

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
cbuchner1
Fractal Phenom

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 10:03:02 PM »

Two years ago I built my own. 1.4 TFlops of single precision floating point performance for only 800-900 Euros of investment. wink  It consisted of 4x nVidia 9600GSO graphics cards, cooled with a large case fan. I used it for Folding@Home and some programming projects of my own. The machine certainly made as much noise as a "real" supercomputer.

10 years before I built it this machine would have been at the top of the supercomputer list. wink

Christian

Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

nahee_enterprises Nahee.Enterprises NaheeEnterprise
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 10:46:23 PM »

I was wondering if anyone here has ever had access to a super-computer
    (or a beefy computer larger than any consumer system - say 8 cores/cpus or more),
    and what was the most interesting thing you've done with it?

Does the following count:
   Dell Precision Workstation T7400 - 64bit
   Two Quad Core Intel® Xeon® Processor X5482 (3.20GHz,2X6M L2,1600)
   16GB, DDR2 SDRAM FBD Memory, ECC (4 DIMMS)
   512MB PCIe x16 nVidia Quadro FX3700, Dual Monitor DVI Capable
   Two 24 inch UltraSharp 2408WFP Widescreen, Adjustable Stand, VGA/DVI Monitors
   C6 All SATA drives, RAID 0, 2 drive total configuration:
      (320GB SATA 3.0Gb/s,7200 RPM Hard Drive with 8MB DataBurst Cache)

I am afraid it is now a bit on the old side, since I got it back in the latter part of 2008.  But it still handles a few things faster than most PCs.    wink

Or do you mean the "big iron" machines??  (Which I have used at several companies I have worked for.)

....does anyone know any institutions or companies where someone could
    potentially get remote access to a fat computer?

There are "server farm" services available, as long as you can pay for the processing time.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 12:32:05 PM by Nahee_Enterprises » Logged

reesej2
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 02:14:33 AM »

How much do you suppose processing time costs? On the one hand, there are lots of computers, so it should be cheap; on the other hand, I can't imagine many individuals have use for it, so if they want to make money they'd need to charge pretty high.
aluminumstudios
Conqueror

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 04:08:47 AM »

How much do you suppose processing time costs? On the one hand, there are lots of computers, so it should be cheap; on the other hand, I can't imagine many individuals have use for it, so if they want to make money they'd need to charge pretty high.

$2.77 per processor core per hour smiley   http://news.softpedia.com/news/Rent-Your-Own-Supercomputer-for-2-77-per-Hour-82166.shtml

I can't find the link again, but I found a site in the U.K. which had a Cray, a BlueGene, and another system and they charged 2 pounds per processor hour (a "processor" being several cores in that case.)

I use my own software written in C++ which uses pthreads, so it shouldn't be too hard to port to a Unix based big system.  I could even learn MPI if I had to  grin   Supercomputer time according to several sites I saw, is sold in batches, often costing hundreds to thousands of dollars.  I doubt they'd sell me $15 of time just to render a difficult project laugh

Nahee, if your system is a "bit on the old side", I'll gladly take it off your hands for you!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 04:11:18 AM by aluminumstudios » Logged
Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

nahee_enterprises Nahee.Enterprises NaheeEnterprise
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2010, 10:12:12 PM »

Nahee, if your system is a "bit on the old side", I'll gladly take it off your hands for you!

Based upon what you currently use for a computer, and statements you have made in other topics, I do not believe you can afford to pay me the current value, much less the added shipping and handling charges.

But if you truly believe you can afford that much, then by all means, contact me via email, and we can work out the agreement.  (Just go to Dell's web page and enter in the specifications listed above to get an idea of the price.)

teamfresh
Fractal Lover

nothing is everything

fractalco
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2010, 02:56:45 AM »

I work with big fat linux computer, i can play with them before they go in production.
I wish i could use them with utlrafractal, but there is no linux client for ultrafractal cry
I managed to install it using wine

aluminumstudios
Conqueror

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2010, 04:52:49 AM »

Based upon what you currently use for a computer, and statements you have made in other topics, I do not believe you can afford to pay me the current value, much less the added shipping and handling charges.

But if you truly believe you can afford that much, then by all means, contact me via email, and we can work out the agreement.  (Just go to Dell's web page and enter in the specifications listed above to get an idea of the price.)

My comment was in jest and acknowledgment that you have a nice system (even if it's one you've had for a while.)  But I'm not certain how to interpret your reply.

The reality is that I could afford a nice new machine relatively easily.  While I love computing however, my recent priorities have been about travel.  I live in Japan and travel abroad to other Asian countries several times a year trying to see as much of this side of the planet as possible.  I like to daydream about buying a beefy system, but always wind up buying plane tickets instead smiley
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 10:39:37 AM by aluminumstudios » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: