Logo by dainbramage - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Support us via Flattr FLATTR Link

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 28, 2024, 05:19:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Mandelbulb in unlikely places  (Read 3220 times)
Description: like e.g. on the nVidia site
cbuchner1
Fractal Phenom

« on: March 29, 2010, 12:26:57 AM »

Here a rendering of a Mandelbulb (probably the most non-commercial object ever) is used to promote a technology conference and in particular an emerging companies summit related to parallel computing with CUDA.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/emerging_companies_summit.html

Uh, was this particular rendering taken from David Makin? Is its use okay in this context?
David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 12:31:18 AM »

Uh, was this particular rendering taken from David Makin? Is its use okay in this context?

Not one of mine smiley

The meaning and purpose of life is to give life purpose and meaning.

http://www.fractalgallery.co.uk/
"Makin' Magic Music" on Jango
Buddhi
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 10:14:08 AM »

It looks like Daniel White's image. It is his style of rendering.

lycium
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 01:41:34 PM »

It looks like Daniel White's image. It is his style of rendering.
Daniel's images are excellent, but it's a bit of a stretch to say that direct illumination from a coloured environment is his style of rendering  lips are sealed

GPUs are very well suited to rendering mandelbulbs, so it's actually highly likely that such an application would be mentioned on nV's page, especially right after the (paper) release of their supercomputing chip, Fermi smiley

twinbee
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 02:04:18 PM »

Er yep, that one's mine I think wink

They didn't get permission, but one can't automatically blame Nvidia since it's possible they just bought it from someone who ripped the picture and put it on an iStockPhoto type site.

It's pretty funny, because I'm only using the raw CPU, no GFX card anyway atm. smiley

especially right after the (paper) release of their supercomputing chip, Fermi smiley

What do you think will be more suited to fast flexible raytracing (either GI or DI), the upcoming Fermi/GF100, or Intel's Larrabee?
Buddhi
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 02:23:11 PM »

In my opinion if they want to use you image for their commercials, they have to pay you or at least have your permission. They makes money with using your image. No matter from where they got this image.

hobold
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 02:27:36 PM »

Larrabee is no longer quite so upcoming, unfortunately. I think Larrabee would be a better architecture for ray tracers when you aim for more sophisticated simulation of light, or more sophisticated/complex data structures and algorithms. Fermi, on the other hand, would have more raw power, and would probably outrun Larrabee whenever you can apply brute force or some approximating cheats.

Both are interesting approaches to massively data parallel programming. But in my not so humble opinion, both these chips are trying to fly before they can run. We still haven't gotten all the fundamentals of the SIMD (Single Instruction Multiple Data) paradigm right.

Edit: had omitted one word, thus losing the meaning.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 05:14:42 PM by hobold » Logged
KRAFTWERK
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Virtual Surreality

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 03:32:36 PM »

In my opinion if they want to use you image for their commercials, they have to pay you or at least have your permission. They makes money with using your image. No matter from where they got this image.

I agree, You should definitely get something for this Twinbee!, a GFX card maybe?
They have no right to use it without your permission!

J

cbuchner1
Fractal Phenom

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 10:09:47 PM »

That picture is worth a GTX 480, no less.
lycium
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2010, 11:18:20 PM »

What do you think will be more suited to fast flexible raytracing (either GI or DI), the upcoming Fermi/GF100, or Intel's Larrabee?

possibly larrabee, but that's vapourware still. fermi has been paper-released, and apparently you'll be able to buy one in early april smiley it's a monster, not necessarily for gaming (radeon 5000 series has that covered), but for general computing it looks to be awesome!

have a look: http://anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3783&p=6

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: