Logo by Fiery - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Support us via Flattr FLATTR Link

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 28, 2024, 08:22:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Competition submission broken.  (Read 4294 times)
Pauldelbrot
Fractal Senior

pderbyshire2
« on: March 26, 2010, 07:24:19 AM »

Tried to upload a Mandelbrot to the competition gallery. After an apparently successful upload, nothing actually appeared there (yes I tried refreshing, and I also looked at the linked forum).

I'd titled it Nautilus and it was a 930K jpeg file, in case that helps the diagnostician find relevant log entries.

Pauldelbrot
Fractal Senior

pderbyshire2
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 10:03:01 AM »

I have more information on this. It seems the image uploaded, but appeared in the wrong place.

My procedure was as follows: went to competition Mandelbrot gallery, clicked "add image". Filled in title, notes, and filename and submitted, and it said must specify category. (AFTER wasting a lot of time and bandwidth uploading the entire image.) So I looked at that category drop-down that I'd assumed would have a sensible default (apparently not) and it listed banners, linked to boards, and a bunch of specific fractal programs. So since it's supposed to echo in the competition forum thread I selected "linked to boards" and submitted the form again.

Instead of doing the correct thing, it seems to have put the image in a whole separate section of the gallery labeled "linked to boards". Even though the add image link I clicked was in the competition section.

I checked the category drop-down again and there's no option in there that seems like it would correspond to the correct gallery section.

Something is broken in the gallery upload UI, but I lack the access rights and expertise needed to fix it myself. Please, someone, fix this; the earlier in the competition period the better, and it must be fixed eventually unless you want to get to the contest deadline and find that you apparently received zero submissions. smiley

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 10:09:29 AM »

hello,

max allowed file size is 1mb, hmm, i dont know really what happened there,
when editing the image i even got an internal server error, damn, but i have moved it "by hand" in the database,
lets see how this develops ...

thank you for patience

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
Pauldelbrot
Fractal Senior

pderbyshire2
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 10:18:23 AM »

It disappeared from one place but didn't appear in the other; the whole 2010 competition section still shows zero images.

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 11:13:44 AM »

ok, apparently my server can not resize ( for thumbnails ) such big images
i have resampled your image to 1200x900 pixels, and uploaded it again

sorry for inconvenience!

---

Pauldelbrot
Fractal Senior

pderbyshire2
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 10:17:32 PM »

ok, apparently my server can not resize ( for thumbnails ) such big images
i have resampled your image to 1200x900 pixels, and uploaded it again

sorry for inconvenience!

That's strange, since when it put it in the wrong section before, it did have a thumbnail.

It still hasn't echoed itself to the corresponding forum, either.

I think something else is wrong.

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 10:32:19 PM »

ok, i did check the database and i think we have a candidate:

the database was full !!

it is because the pretty url plugin writes EVERYTHING TO THE DB, but i can not deactivate the plugin because many links rely on the pretty formated urls,
i have a database limit of 100mb, the forum message content is right now at 20MB, i deleted 45 mb of pretty urls cache, and have to do it every day from now on

beside of that, if message counts are going up that way, we will reach a stuck situation in mid this year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i hope it will keep on for at least half a year and until the compo is over, after that i can swith to another database, and fill up another 100mb ( i have up to 8 databases available )
but this wouldnt be a solution ...

so, we have a capacity problem i think .....

right now database stats again in green area:
 89 Tabellen       Gesamt       148.174       --         37,4 MB         0 Bytes
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 10:34:34 PM by Trifox » Logged

---

David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 10:40:32 PM »

i have a database limit of 100mb, the forum message content is right now at 20MB, i deleted 45 mb of pretty urls cache, and have to do it every day from now on

What would happen if you left the pretty URLs enabled but disabled the caching ?

The meaning and purpose of life is to give life purpose and meaning.

http://www.fractalgallery.co.uk/
"Makin' Magic Music" on Jango
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2010, 10:51:17 PM »

did that right now, hrhr, but its a "hack" in the forums software, nasty stuff happens here ( modifiying stuff, that a plugin "injected" into the main forums software ... ) , but it seems to be working
i dunno if that cache really worked, because mysql is not configured for fulltext searches ... as that table had only varchar components

it was crappy information in the database, e.g. an entry for each userid, each imageid, each private message id ... etc .. so, well well well, then lets get the contest starting! jamming Elvis Presley sweet music surfing
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 10:56:46 PM by Trifox, Reason: added more information » Logged

---

Pauldelbrot
Fractal Senior

pderbyshire2
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2010, 04:00:55 AM »

Perhaps putting a bigger disk in the server is a better long-term solution?

Pauldelbrot
Fractal Senior

pderbyshire2
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2010, 04:17:49 AM »

There are still problems.

• First, the dimensions maximum seems to be 1200 now instead of 1600. Shouldn't that have been put back?
  • Second, there's still no category drop-down entries for the contest galleries -- my image now shows a category of Banner Logos!
  • My image still isn't echoed in the corresponding forum.

Fix the first two, and I'll reupload the image (at its original size) and maybe that will fix the third.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 10:11:31 AM by Pauldelbrot » Logged

Pauldelbrot
Fractal Senior

pderbyshire2
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2010, 10:10:43 AM »

Mostly fixed now, but the maximum dimensions still show as 1200.

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2010, 10:40:29 AM »

no, compeition entry sizes have been reduced to 1200x1200, sorry but the server cant create the thumbnails on such big images!

---

Pauldelbrot
Fractal Senior

pderbyshire2
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2010, 11:12:43 AM »

It'd made a thumbnail from a 1600x1600 image before; the problem had turned out to be low disk space, hadn't it?

And if you're still concerned about the disk space usage, they're selling 1TB drives for only a hundred bucks or so now, so in theory it shouldn't be a huge problem to upgrade the server's capacity ten-thousand-fold or more. A 1TB four-disk RAID setup ought to be gettable for under $500 now and dropping.

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2010, 11:40:01 AM »

it is a hosted server, and i can not put an own drive into it
disk usage is not the problem, i am using currently only 3,5 gig of 10gigs available
it was a database problem, the database is limited to 100mb, due to caching it run full,
and the image size reduction is a result of server performance, it is simply so that it crashes
from time to time dealing with big images .... if you want higher resolutions, please put a
link to the high res image in the description!

---

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: